Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A little help with a schematic for the Springfield (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A little help with a schematic for the Springfield
Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey gang. I know I haven't posted in what seems like eons, but I still read lots of what you guys say. And now I need a little help with a minor problem and you are the group to ask. If you remember, I built a New Orleans model and a Cheyenne model using lots of the reasearch you did on the original models. And right now, I am trying to build a Springfield model. What I need help with is the pod on top of the model (the one that we know for sure is there). I need a good schematic of the pod and how it attaches to the rest of the ship. I'm going for a more angular version, so not too much curvy stuff. I know that's what Bernd has in his take on it, but am thinking in the plastic modeler mode here. ("I need a few quick models, don't have time to spend building lots of fancy parts, here, this till do." sort of thought.) So if you want to help out, I'd appreciate it. And if you don't remember my models, you can go to my homepage below. Thanks in advance guys.

My web page

[ February 28, 2002, 16:08: Message edited by: Fructose ]

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

www.ericksmodels.com

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that it is supposed to be a cockpit of a Star Wars model, but I'm not familiar with them.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeepers, B, what are you doing up at this hour? 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like it's supposed to be swing open or something with those two prongs in the front. I would assume it would be a toy's cockpit or something like that. I don't know of any model that would be that big for Star Wars. Hmmm... interesting...

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

www.ericksmodels.com

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SW cockpit, eh? The front end of an X-wing is sort of that shape...
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy feckin' Christ. Those are perfect reconstructions of the Cheyenne and the New Orleans. Wow. Well done!

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Fructose
Member # 309

Thanks, but from what I understand, Miarecki used the 1/1/400 scale Enterprise-D model to make his Kyushu. I used 1/2500 scale parts. It turned out pretty good though. [Smile] I looked at an old X-wing model cockpit, and it's not right. Too short, too narrow. I'm still looking through stuff though. Maybe I could ask Miarecki what he used if he remembers. I just hope he'll answer me this time. Last time I tried asking him something he was pretty short about it. But that's when he got flooded with questions about 359, so maybe he'll be in a better mood.

--------------------

www.ericksmodels.com

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I certainly remember you Fruccy... I said last time your models (partic. the Centaur and the New Orleans were fantastic, I that they should use your ships on screen! I reckon they'd stand up pretty well.)

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Do you know Fructose, this looks like one cool little ship... It fits the "Trieste" very well as per Data's comment in 11001001 "Too, small. Too, slow". What was the class of the Trieste?

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great model work!! I bookmarked your site for future reference use (one never knows when one will get around to doing another painting of a starship).

Could someone post an image of the pod we're looking for? I know I've seen this ship but I don't have an image handy.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

This is a good pic Fructose... Maybe you could sit them all like they are heading in the same direction - towards the camera and then someone could put a warp effect in!

http://216.246.34.19/~fructose/models/endeav/family.jpg

--------------------

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Y-wing (again, this may be too narrow):
Y-Wing

And this is the A-Wing fighter. Seems more possible:
A-Wing

The only problem is that I don't think the A-Wing has been released as a model. Another one could be the imperial shuttle (nose section). There's a better chance this one made it to stores as a model kit:
Lambda-class

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The picture of the one and only Springfield is on this page, but I won't post the direct link, in order to protect the guilty and frustrate the innocent. [Razz]

I can't figure out which SW part the pod is supposed to be, either. The closest matches would be the upper surface of an Y-wing forward hull (sans the cockpit canopy) or the bow of the Lambda shuttle, but neither is a perfect match, and both would require patching up a few large holes.

Perhaps some inaccurate toy reproduction of the Lambda...? Why would Miarecki smash up a big SW toy, though? It seems unlikely he would have had spare ones in the workshop corner. In any case, a toy Lambda would explain the forward "hinges" nicely.

Or is the upper pod in fact an Okuda addition? Where did the "SW part" rumor really originate? Okuda wasn't very specific about the Chekov in any of his posts, and made no mention of the pod.

Timo Saloniemi

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Jeepers, B, what are you doing up at this hour? 8)
That's what happens when you're unemployed for too long...

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Just looking at Bernd's page - that underslung pod... the front of it looks like the Galaxy class era side profiles of the deflector dish 'lip'/area... and considering there is no where else for the Deflector??

[ March 01, 2002, 07:23: Message edited by: AndrewR ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps