Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Thoughts on the Daedalus class (Possible$$$$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Thoughts on the Daedalus class (Possible$$$$$)
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that Enterprise is underway and fairly popular now. Now that the Enterprise is known to be far larger than the Daedalus class, and can't be slower than the Daedalus class, how are we going to explain her?

Is she in fact just a scout ship being that she is only roughly 100 meters long? She can't be faster than the NX class, given that Enterprise can make Warp 4.5-5. And the E-nil makes Warp 6-8 in only 110 years later. She also can't be more heavily armed given that the Daedalus is smaller, so can't hold as much weapons.

So what is the Daedlus class?

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought it was some sort of long-range scout or explorer. Maybe the engines are as powerful as the NX-engines (has anyone �ver tried to put some NX-nacelles on the Daedalus? [Smile] ). And the other systems seem to be really less advanced than those of NX. So maybe there were Daedali before they founded the Federation? Allthough NX is NX-01 and Daedalus is 160-something, I always assumed there are already other ships with higher registries in service. It took 30 years to build the Starfleet flagship, hence the 01, but I'm sure Starfleet also assimilated other earth ships into the fleet or built new ship which were finished earlier. It could be one of the five NX-ships meets the NCC-50 on her voyager during the first years.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the other hand the Daudalus may have been just a small science vessel like the Oberth & the Nova.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the third hand, the design in the Encyclopedia and on Sisko's desk mightn't have been the Daedalus.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is it then? Mr. Potatohead in outer space? [Smile]

The name and registry are those of the USS Horizon, Encyclopedia says Horizon is Daedalus, Sisko's desk makes it canon. OK, they might have pushed it into the right direction, but what keeps us from thinking this is the Daedalus?

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the Horizon isn't canonically a Daedalus, now, is it?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going by that, we can't say the E-E is cannonically a Sovereign class unless they specifically say so on screen right?

I generally used to think that the Daedalus even before Enterprise as a scout.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that if we accept NX-01 as a ship occurring in the stated time frame (2150s), the ship design generally accepted to be Daedalus has to be a lot older. It's layout is too simple and reflects a poorer understanding or warp dynamics to be a contemporary (or later) of NX-01.

My solution is to ignore NX-01.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

quote:
It's layout is too simple and reflects a poorer understanding of warp dynamics to be a contemporary (or later) of NX-01.
Yes. Because we all know that Warp Dynamics exist, and how they work. [Roll Eyes]

Indeed, if we're going to get all uptight about "design lineages" (which I don't put too much stock in anyway), the Daedalus design should be pushed closer to the Constitution chronologically. It shares a lot in common with it in terms of styling, considering Jefferies basically adapted the Constitution from the Daedalus rather than design the two as two ships separated by 100 years.

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(With apologies to Masao)

Well, as I recall from Admiral Forrest's conversation with Archer, we know from "Fortunate Son" that there were other Earth vessels which were closer to the Fortunate, but which were limited to warp three.

One might hypothesize that the ship being referred to was a Daedalus.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Daedelus is from later on. It needs to be a step on the way to the Constitution Class ships. So what if it is smaller. One might assume that it is a 'next generation' ship where components are SMALLER and thus they don't have to have such a big ship. I reckon that there might be a few tech advancements that are more akin to the E-nil.

The rear shuttle bay - it is not a 'drop' shuttle bay like the NX-E. The big noticable difference/step is the presence of a definite secondary hull. Maybe the 'ball' was a new direction in Warp Field dynamics that didn't 'take off' like the Excelsior and her 'great experiment'. They could have just kept using them.

Maybe these are smaller ships built for the Earth/Romulan wars? Maybe they were the first FEDERATION ships - i.e. to be built by different races working together?

They might have also been the first to be equipped with 'Lasers' or 'photon torps' instead of the big-arsed weaponry of the NX-E?

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as we know, the Daedalus ships (or the one known Daedalus, USS Essex, plus the unknown USS Horizon, Archon) never did anything "advanced" or "powerful", like fighting a space battle or moving an asteroid or solving the mystery of the Incredible Space Turkey. All they managed to do was getting killed. This is the standard mission profile of Oberth class ships, right? [Smile]

That in mind, I'd be happy to write off the Daedaluses as inferior cheap-o science vessels designed either some time prior to the NX-01 or just after her. Given the "internal" weapons of the NX-01 and the NCC-1701, it may be that the Daedaluses are in fact armed even though they lack visible weapons... But they may just as well be completely unarmed, as old Oberths appear to be.

Timo Saloniemi

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I like to think of it as a hospital ship considering the likeness to the Olympic-class. I have always wanted to see more diverified Federation ships. All we get to see are the fighting ships, with a few exceptions. I would have liked to have seen the fuel ship mentioned in TNG tech manual, a huge passengerliner, and so on.

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that, if we can accept the NCC-1701 to be a hundred years newer than NX-01, we may accept the Daedalus as well. The problem in this case is rather that the Daedalus doesn't fit into the design lineage for Starfleet cruisers (of course, it's actually NX-01 that doesn't fir in, but with Enterprise being that popular...). I agree it could be a simple science ship akin to the Oberth (with which it definitely shares the problem of being too crowded). We may want to add some details to the Daedalus to reconcile it with NX-01.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

Though I agree that the Daedalus can't (if the NX class are cruisers) top of the line ships like the Constitution was or the Exlcesior was. But to be just a science ship that somehow influences later starship designers to copy her, makes it seem a little strange.

But then again, we all know that the Daedalus class retires at 2196, right? Then if we assume that they have 40-50 yea lifespans then the Daedalus class is about the same age as the NX class.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps