Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » An ugly child, but that's not my fault... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: An ugly child, but that's not my fault...
Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the Mighty Monkey of Mim:
The E-B MSD also completely omits the large protrusions on the secondary
hull.

If it's the same MSD that was reprinted in "Star Trek: Where No One Has Gone Before" and the First Contact Sketchbook, it sure as hell does have the extra hull sections! Whoever thinks otherwise better get a new set of glasses and take another look.

quote:
Good point, but I think there's probably enough space in between for
whatever exhaust there is to dissipate without causing any bussard
damage.

Uh-huh. So you've got superheated ionized gas roaring out of the exhaust port at relativistic speeds straight into the engines. Anyone else out there think it's going to cool off to tolerable temperatures in the space of about 70 meters? [Roll Eyes]

Guys, if we're going to go a few more rounds on this question, let's give it its own thread and go back to discussing the DS9 frankensteins, ok?

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the spirit of that, I've been noodling over a lot of stuff about the Centaur in my modelling endeavours. First of all, I've always known I wanted to base it off the E-B saucer so I would have those boxes for shuttlebays...

I've always had a problem with the screengrabs of the Centaur from "A Time To Stand". The windows visible on the bottom of the saucer would have to be on the floor. So I left those off for the time being.

Now with these pics from Mr. Drexler, I've been able to get a good layout for the windows on the top of the saucer. I did the port side first, and then mirrored the ones from the starboard side over to supplement, and am then using the resulting layout as a guide for the starboard side in its entirety. And hopefully, that's not unclear. I noticed in laying them out that there are clear spots for two radial corridors each port and starboard which have no windows above them.

The problem of scale I'm proposing be solved by keeping the saucer the same size as a stock Excelsior saucer. The Miranda-style bridge is then reworked to be simply a raised superstructure behind the forward cowling, and the bridge dome I've replaced with the domed prototype bridge module of the NX days of the Excelsior. Fits perfectly. [Big Grin] And that forward cowling, as I said elsewhere, makes a spectacular navigational deflector.

Lastly, I'm resculpting the remaining four dorsal phaser banks into four mini phaser strips, of Ambassador tech, but still very primitive. The ventral phasers are still ball turrets.

I just wanted to share all this as a suggestion for other modellers and drafters out there, to get feedback, and also to get ideas for what I should do about the ventral windows, the phaser cannons, and the torpedo pod... Also, to get your views on what I should use for the dorsal side greeblies.

--Jonah

[ March 18, 2002, 05:15: Message edited by: Peregrinus ]

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call me a purist, but I think it would be a good idea to keep the phasers, the phaser cannon and the pod as they are, and also to include those floor-mounted windows. This may have been the first ship for which such great numbers of portholes were built, and the engineers simply got a bit overeager in their desire to give every cabin a clear view into space... [Smile]

I'm all for calling the bow "doors" a deflector array, and the coloration should then reflect that. Otherwise, I suggest subdued "Starfleetish" colors instead of the ones we see in the Drexler photos.

I guess we have to agree to disagree on the scaling basis of the ship. I've always wanted the Centaur to be as small as she looks in comparison with the Jemmie bug in "A Time to Stand", and using the Miranda bridge and roll bar as scaling benchmarks would give exactly that result.

(Also, I like to think that this is the oft-mentioned but never-seen Renaissance class; and at least USS Aries of that class is supposed to carry at least one shuttlepod. So I like to think that some ships have the shuttlebay boxes while others don't. I'm a sucker for "mission-customized" ships anyway...)

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Then again, just because the 23rd century shipwrights might have been able to build ships that
separate and reattach doesn't mean they would want to. Even in the 24th century, this
capacity is considered a novelty, and a curiosity of little operational value.

Why do you say this... we never saw every mission of the E-D - and well it's separation/reattachment did happen in 3 years, 3 times more than the E-Nil.

Riker certainly knew how to easily reattach the saucer section in E@F - he must have had some experience.

There is not enough evidence to say that Attachment/separation is NOT widely used in Fed ships! The other ships that we've seen lots of - Voyager, Defiant, Runabouts, E-Nil don't have this capability.

The E-B might have been the first to employ the reattachable saucer... and then maybe it wasn't THAT feasible so it wasn't used all the time - so that's why we got the normal Exxies through TNG. The extra set of impulse engines do remind us of the E-B's extras... and they were for the most part on all the time (i.e. mostly during the Dom War.) Even if they are glowing, that doesn't mean that they are being actively USED.

3/4 depends on how you count the original set seems to be explained away by the saucer separation propulsion system rather then just for the sakes of being more power You can only really get to like 3/4 c using them can't you? After that you have to jump to warp.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
What if it's both.

Now, before you start conjuring up images of toasted shuttles flying into fusion plasma wake, hear me out. What if the extended box structures can be shuttlebays OR impulse decks? The former can provide extra evac room & the latter extra STL maneuverability. When I built my Juno-class model, I used the E-B saucer & I made the boxes shuttlebays because I had a better place to put the impulse deck. Why can't it be that on the E-B & Lakota they were IPS, but on, say, the Livingston & the Berlin they wanted extry shuttles?

Time & time again, we're told that every Starfleet ship is "modularly adaptable." Here's a new module. Here's more adaptability.

Who says that the shuttles have to leave through a door? what if the platforms on top of the bay are the starting ramps for the shuttles, much like the DS9-Runabout bays? If that's the case. the red-glowing plates could be additional exhaust ports for the ship's engines. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
In the spirit of that, I've been noodling over a lot of stuff about the Centaur in my modelling endeavours. First of all, I've always known I wanted to base it off the E-B saucer so I would have those boxes for shuttlebays...

I've always had a problem with the screengrabs of the Centaur from "A Time To Stand". The windows visible on the bottom of the saucer would have to be on the floor. So I left those off for the time being.

Now with these pics from Mr. Drexler, I've been able to get a good layout for the windows on the top of the saucer. I did the port side first, and then mirrored the ones from the starboard side over to supplement, and am then using the resulting layout as a guide for the starboard side in its entirety. And hopefully, that's not unclear. I noticed in laying them out that there are clear spots for two radial corridors each port and starboard which have no windows above them.

The problem of scale I'm proposing be solved by keeping the saucer the same size as a stock Excelsior saucer. The Miranda-style bridge is then reworked to be simply a raised superstructure behind the forward cowling, and the bridge dome I've replaced with the domed prototype bridge module of the NX days of the Excelsior. Fits perfectly. [Big Grin] And that forward cowling, as I said elsewhere, makes a spectacular navigational deflector.

Lastly, I'm resculpting the remaining four dorsal phaser banks into four mini phaser strips, of Ambassador tech, but still very primitive. The ventral phasers are still ball turrets.

I just wanted to share all this as a suggestion for other modellers and drafters out there, to get feedback, and also to get ideas for what I should do about the ventral windows, the phaser cannons, and the torpedo pod... Also, to get your views on what I should use for the dorsal side greeblies.

--Jonah

I think those are no windows at all. No matter if the saucer is Excelsior-size or the bridge is Miranda-size, those windows don't fit. The wall is too flat - the windows would be on the floor - and there are too many.
So either the ships has been constructed for a species that is roughly 50 centimeters 'tall' or they serve a different purpose. Maybe some exhaust ports. Or predecessors of the Intrepid-sensorplates.

[EDIT] Just want to test something...

[EDITED AGAIN] Arrr... it seems my new web host works. [Big Grin]

[ March 18, 2002, 08:06: Message edited by: Cpt. Kyle Amasov ]

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say stay true to the studio model (as gad-awful as mess as it is) and don't go making "adjustments." Yeah, there's some damn weird shit going on with that ship, but it's all part of it's charm... [Wink]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pity... I was hoping for a bit more support for a "cleaned-up" version of this puppy -- one that is meant to stand up to close scrutiny. [Razz]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

OK, here is my final version of the Medusa. I think it will be up at EAS soon, and it's at my page. Here's a direct link:

[EDIT]
Forget that, it'S still at my page, but this is a perfect chance to try the flare upload system... [Big Grin]

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/742/Medusawn.jpg
[/EDIT]

(The version at EAS wont have name/registry, this one has.)

[ March 24, 2002, 15:33: Message edited by: Cpt. Kyle Amasov ]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*screams* a *TOP* view... love it with the colours. Did we get to see a photograph of the top... I can't remember - we got a side view - was that the only pic of the Medusa DD sent?

Nice work - please we have to see more ;o)

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, we had a top view photo.

Is the general assumption that there are two Connie pylons coming off the bottom of the saucer that come together in a V, below which is the lower nacelle? A front view would be pretty cool.

Oh, and while we're at it, would anyone become shocked and dismayed if I said I've actual come to like this ship quite a bit? It (along with the Connie-based affair) is perhaps the best of the ATtS kitbashes, and would fit in quite OK as a standard ship design from the late 23rd/early 24th centuries. Certainly seems a bit unfair to continue calling it the Medusa, no?

[ March 24, 2002, 22:04: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Last Unicorn pegged it as the Chimera class, for what it's worth...

--Jonah

--------------------

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
A front view would be pretty cool.

Here it is:

front view

Hehe, what do you say? Wrong ship? Oops. [Big Grin]
Let me see what I can do for you, but first of all I wanted to try another kitbash or the Freedom-class or something totally different (Norway anyone?)

quote:

Oh, and while we're at it, would anyone become shocked and dismayed if I said I've actual come to like this ship quite a bit? It (along with the Connie-based affair) is perhaps the best of the ATtS kitbashes, and would fit in quite OK as a standard ship design from the late 23rd/early 24th centuries. Certainly seems a bit unfair to continue calling it the Medusa, no?

I like it, too, that's why I did it. [Smile]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Amasov! Yes... something different - the Norway/First Contact ships (except Akira... atm) would be GREAT - I'm sick of seeing those bloody Encyc schematics as the only ones around (or those nasty Fact Files line drawings).

I too, like your Niagra schematic - I noticed now you have a front view to that too! Everything has a little 'shadow' - is there anyway of giving the deflector/most of the blue parts some depth/shadow?

Yes, I've just viewed the Tri-Ex-Nac (i.e. Medusa)'s top view - yeah I remember seeing it [Wink]

Oh, BTW, again - just how fucking cool is Bernd's site!?! [Big Grin]

[ March 25, 2002, 17:03: Message edited by: AndrewR ]

Constellation of One
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Constellation of One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Peregrinus, I'm with you on the "cleaned up" version. I'll probably get around to building a true to life Centaur replica someday myself, but for now I'm planning the more austere, less freakish type to go with my prior E-B/Centaur kitbash. Check out the model railroad part of your local hobby store for detail parts - vents, AC units, etc. They make great greeblies.

Robert

--------------------
Everything in life I ever needed to know I learned from The Simpsons.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps