Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » How long would it take?

Author Topic: How long would it take?
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To build the different classes of starships in Star Trek?

It took them nearly 20 years to design and build the Galaxy, what about the Excelsior, Ambassador, Sovereign, New Orleans, Miranda and all of the others?

I've seen on fan websites times listed (5 years for the New Orleans, later cut to 3), but how long would it take to design and build the prototypes and then, once the class is approved for additional builds, how long would it take to build a new ship? Would it be realistic to say that they could build a Galaxy-class starship in one year with everything it need, or would it require more time like 5 years?

Starfleet was apparently building nearly 400 ships at the height of the Dominion war (fan figure), but that was with 65% of the internal volumes left empty. I've looked into this on our navy's approach (UK and USA) and it looks like it's about 6-10 years of designing and building. How accurately can this apply to starships in Star Trek (not just Federation, but Klingon, Romulan, Cardassian . . .)

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess most if not all of them would take lesser time to design and build a class than the Galaxy. You must remember how massive the Galaxy class really is. The closest Starfleet ship to that size is either the Ambassador, Sovereign or the Nebula class.

I would think it would take like 15 years for the Sovereign, 10 years for the Intrepid, for those sized ships.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://flare.solareclipse.net/cgi2/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000523
for more info
and
http://flare.solareclipse.net/cgi2/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001019

[ April 12, 2002, 15:24: Message edited by: Ritten ]

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah! Many thanks Ritten! [Big Grin]

Erm, I guess that means that this thread can be either closed or even deleted.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No problem.... That thread was done when I had too much time on my hands before.....

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps