Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Coupl'a ship info tidbits (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Coupl'a ship info tidbits
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had a horrible thought...

Anyone want to place bets on whether the NX-01 will mysteriously appear in the "grand ship display" that's traditionally in the Conference Room behind the Bridge?

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Anyone want to place bets on whether the NX-01 will mysteriously appear in the "grand ship display" that's traditionally in the Conference Room behind the Bridge?
I don't think the NX-01 should be in this display? It's not a ship of the Federation Starfleet.

[ May 15, 2002, 14:26: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are we going to have to put up with this bullshit for another six years?

Oh, and based on that ET report, the ship display that all of you have your panties in a knot over is gone, replaced with a big honking display terminal.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not necessarily.. The room shown in that ET report doesn't match up with the one we saw in First Contact. While the room itself is about the right size, the doors are on the side(s), and not at the front wall. They can't possibly lead back to the bridge from there. Methinks they're just using a conference lounge somewhere else on the ship, which they've often done during TNG's run - the E-D had several other conference lounges identical to the one aft of the bridge, except they emptied out into a standard corridor rather than the less featured onw leading to the bride or turbolift. I believe Geordi used one on the leading edge of the saucer at least once, to look at something outside the ship.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the windows to the TNG Conference Lounge wouldn't match up with anywhere else on the ship...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
um.. that doesnt mean they didnt do it. The Ten-Forward windows dont match any exterior windows either.

For the record, Geordi had to look outside in 'Justice'.. and i never understood how kids would get to deck 1, so the scene where they found the kids in the conference lounge in 'The Last Outpost' might fall under this. I also noticed watching 'Ensign Ro' that the wall where the ships are sposed to be had some generic supprt/decorative greebles there instead..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I don't think the NX-01 should be in this display? It's not a ship of the Federation Starfleet.

Neither was CVN-65.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
I also noticed watching 'Ensign Ro' that the wall where the ships are sposed to be had some generic supprt/decorative greebles there instead..

That's the late-TNG conference lounge. It was changed in s4 or s5, IIRC. Actually, I don't really remember. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually i recall that now.. thats why, in AGT, they made a big deal of doing a closeup of Picard Year One walking by the gold ships to establish the era...

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It should be mentioned that no "ships named Enterprise" display has ever been complete, and we shouldn't assume that being complete is their purpose.
capped
Member # 709

yes, each display is missing one aircraft carrier, and the World War I Large Motor Powered Boat U.S.S. Enterprise, the C.S.S. Enterprise, a few variations of wooden sailing Enterpri(z)es, the NX-01, the ring ship, and at least two others that they havent realized they are planning to make up, for example the fact that the AC Ent is going to be decomissioned and some other Enterprise would seem likely to be made by the US til then

[ May 15, 2002, 21:59: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The E-E lounge has already demonstrated TNG-like multiple personality symptoms. In "Insurrection", the set was used for a facility down on deck nine, the one where the diplomatic reception was held, complete with a fancy telephone booth to the side.

To be sure, there are lounge windows back there on deck nine - they are just significantly bigger than the deck one lounge windows. There are also other sets of windows that could be said to roughly match the lounge ones, so the set can be used for those rooms as well. We could assume that one of those is intended in "Nemesis".

In "Justice", Geordi peeked out from a starboard saucer rim lounge, IIRC...

Timo Saloniemi

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Neither was CVN-65.
The CVN-65 was in the TNG-display. In the FC display were just Federation Starfleet ships named Enterprise, so I don't see a reason why they should include a non-Federation vessel.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But why doesn't it show up in any of the permutations? Not in TMP, not in TNG, not in the count of the Temporal Investigations officer, not in the choice of Holodeck bridges in "Relics". In the latter two cases, both the computer and the TI officers automatically assume that the Federation Enterprises are meant, whereas Sisko could've easily met the NX-01 (we don't know enough about the ring ship to tell if it even flew long enough).

If it's a simply that there isn't enough space in the displays, then the ship must be as significant or less significant than the space shuttle, the aircraft carrier or the ring ship. Since the aircraft carrier has shown up more often, it probably is more significant than the NX-01.

[ May 16, 2002, 05:21: Message edited by: Boris ]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe when Archer travels forward in time and meets Picard in the third season of Enterprise, Picard decides he's a jerk and purposefully doesn't include his ship.

Who knows. Of course we know the real reason NX-01 isn't in any of the displays is because it hadn't been thought of yet. I choose not to dwell.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps