Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Coupl'a ship info tidbits (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Coupl'a ship info tidbits
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A theory with some evidence is better than a theory with no evidence. And we do in fact have evidence that Picard doesn't think highly of Archer -- he sees his first contact as "disastrous", as well as an event that "led"
to decades of war. These are strong allegations.

The next best theory is alternate timeline. The next best theory is that it's merely a series of unfortunate coincidences that we haven't seen this ship yet.

(BTW, the producers' intentions are not more canon than the canon).

Boris

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that Picard doesn't think highly of Archer just because of one bad incident. Picard would be very narrow-minded if he did think that. Picard seems to be a man who looks at the bigger picture. If Archer continued to do badly as a captain, then I can see Picard despising the man.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it's canon...I guess I just don't really care.

Maybe Picard didn't like the design of ship, maybe he had an ancestor aboard CVN-65. It would be like me putting up a display of great artists and leaving out Michelangelo. He was a great artist, but maybe I just don't like his stuff.

(I really do like Michelangelo).

I'm usually all for finding theories to explain stuff like this...I just know they'll never explain it so we're just going to have to assume there was a reason.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's like listing all Star Trek series, and not mentioning TAS.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Roll Eyes]
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's like James T. Kirk never mentioning Neil Armstrong.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To go back to a previous point, I thought the lounge in "Justice" was supposed to be in the egg-shaped portion of deck 1 below the bridge...
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did Kirk ever mention Armstrong? I don't recall...but that's just the point. Simply because Picard never said anything about Archer, doesn't mean he didn't know about him. I'll use the artisit analogy again. I deal with art and design every day...and I've done so for many years, but I can't remember the last time I talked about Picasso. It was probably 7 or 8 years ago.

And as far as the lounge goes, if memory serves...the space station/God thing was in front of the ship. If Geordi had been looking out of the conference lounge on deck one, he'd have been looking away from the object. It's been a long time since I've seen the episode, though...so I may be wrong about the orientation.

[ May 16, 2002, 13:17: Message edited by: Aban Rune ]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's because in the end, the voyages and adventures of the NX-01 and her crew amounted to almost nothing, and as such was left out of the history books.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Templar:
Maybe it's because in the end, the voyages and adventures of the NX-01 and her crew amounted to almost nothing, and as such was left out of the history books.

Unlike the voyages and adventures of the space shuttle and CVN-65, which amounted to a great deal and must absolutely cram the history books.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boris:
A theory with some evidence is better than a theory with no evidence. And we do in fact have evidence that Picard doesn't think highly of Archer -- he sees his first contact as "disastrous", as well as an event that "led"
to decades of war. These are strong allegations.

Archer didn't make first contact with the Klingons. The disastrous first contact was that whole part where a farmer shoots him with a shotgun.

Further, there has never been any other mention anywhere of actual war with the Klingon Empire (not counting the events immediately preceding the Organia incident). There was "unremitting hostility", and a relationship of "adversaries", but never all-out war. I daresay that Picard was exaggerating.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kamarag, the Klingon Ambassador to the Federation in Star Trek IV, said clearly "there shall be no peace..." -- implying that the other state of affairs existed at that point. It might not have been a hot war (except possibly a couple isolated incidents we never saw), but it was definitely a cold war at the very least.

They seemed to have reached detente by the time of Star Trek VI several years later, though, as Azet'bur said that any attempt to retrieve the prisoners would be considered "an act of war" -- implying that the other state of affairs existed at that point.

What we want to make of this besides possibly lazy writing, I don't know... [Wink]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Klingons consider "war" or "peace" may of course be "unique concepts", as Sarek once put it...

If we consider acts of war on human terms, we know of one "battle" (Donatu V), one "raid" (the one Kor boasts about in "Once More Into the Breach"), plus several cases where Klingons shot at Kirk or his ship.

Clearly, humans would have had plenty of excuses to declare war. However, one could have these battles and raids and exchanges of fire without having a war. And "Errand of Mercy" and "Friday's Child" speak of the possibility of a war in terms that make it sound as if none had taken place in the lifetimes of the heroes.

Timo Saloniemi

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe NX-01 isn't given a prominent display because it ended up starting the Romulan War. Fits the timeline and would explain why future generations prefer not to remember it. Would also go some way towards explaining why Starfleet doesn't name another ship 'Enterprise' for about a hundred years.

Just another dumb theory.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another reason why there's no starship named Enterprise until 2245 or so could be that there exists a barracks ship or buoy repair tender or other insignificant vessel named Enterprise. The damn thing keeps the name "reserved" while living a dull, low-risk and thus insufferably long life. While still nominally Starfleet, she ain't a real starship, and the organization just doesn't want to have two ships of the same name.

In fact, NX-01 herself could live out the latter half of her service life as such an insignificant vessel...

Whatever the explanation to why NX-01 hasn't been mentioned before, there's one thing I *don't* want to happen. I *don't* want to get a gratutious reference to "the famous Jonathan Archer and his equally famous Enterprise" in ST:Nemesis. Or in the movie after that. In a new spinoff show, I just might stomach a reference or two, of the type "Archer? Archer... The name does ring a bell. Wasn't he a starship captain, way back in the days of the famous captains Neerhurd Befur and Hozzat Suppozabe?"

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps