Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Coupl'a ship info tidbits (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Coupl'a ship info tidbits
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well whatever happens to Archer's Enterprise, we know she will have an illustrious career. There was an admiral in a 2nd season TNG ep where he claimed that in the past 500 years, all ships that have borne the name has had great careers.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, and while people are known to generalize, they never generalize about stuff like that...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the idea that the Ring-Enterprise is a Vulcan ship... maybe built out of respect to the NX Enterprise?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, ever since we first saw a ring-warper, I've assumed that the ring-warp Enterprise from TMP was merely a really old Vulcan ship that Earth got from the Vulcans to play with . . . perhaps nothing more than a Coast Guard ship for the Terran system, or maybe a full-fledged explorer of local space.

Or, maybe, like the shuttle, it was something we got from the Vulcans, but which we never flew, just studying the hell out of it. Probably all those damned Trekkies wrote in to insist that it be renamed Enterprise, or something. :-)

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or else the ring-Enterprise was a home-grown ship that simply mimics the Vulcan designs, figuring that the Vulcans know what they're doing.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could the war between the Federation and the Klingons be similar to the situation between North and South Korea? A peace treaty was never signed after a brief war. The relations are tense and there is the occassional border problems. A similar might be taking place in the late 2280's.

--------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt the Klingons would sign a treaty with a word in it they don't know yet [Smile] (just like ol' Dubya [Wink] )

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But North and South Korea spawned from the same people and culture. They're constantly at odds because on some level, both sides wants reunification, just not on the same terms. Humans and Klingons have no such sentiments towards each other.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Spawned"?

What is the Korean pennisula one big Quake map now? How did so many people spawn at once without telefragging?

[ May 22, 2002, 19:08: Message edited by: Mucus ]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're all under the assumption that the rings on that ship are warp nacelles just because the Vulcan ships have them. There's no reason to assume that at all. For all we know, the rings are just solar panels or (if the ship is really large) habitable living quarters.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the ring is a habitat section, rotating to simulate gravity. However, the ring seems quite narrow, I'm not sure if it's wide enough to accomodate a crew.

--------------------
Signature.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Rings are more than likely field coil housings, just like Nacelles are. But we do know that the Cardassians and many other species do not use external field coil housings, they embed their warp field coils.

PS: Stop calling the Rings Nacelles, there is a difference, they are similar in function but not in structure. They are both WFC housings, but they are not both Rings and they are not both Nacelles....

I'm sorry, I had to get that out of my system.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps