Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Miranda in "Way of the Warrior?" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Miranda in "Way of the Warrior?"
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Such a tube could be extended to one of the saucer bottom airlocks, assuming the Miranda is similar to the TMP Constitution in this respect.

The tube could also be a special feature of this single docking port, built by Starfleet specifically to interfact with the Defiant. That would allow the Defiant to have her door in just about any location! The tube could be connected directly to the bridge when we see underside shots, or to the bottom shuttlebay doors when we see topside shots...

Then again, where *is* the Defiant in this shot? Perhaps the Miranda is there to tow the immobile hulk away, and is just positioning herself for a better towing grip after having shoved the Defiant a few meters off the station?

Timo Saloniemi

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, the connie refit hs a hatch along one saucer edge labeled the main gangway airlock. theoretically the miranda could have one too, even though i cant recall seeing that side of the Miranda anytime recently... its the square door on the saucers portside rim

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ship could have a either a new hatch there or just docked there and using tubes to trnasport people fro the station to the ship and vice versa.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your just going to use transporters then there isn't alot of point hard docking.
Perhaps this Miranda has an air lock much like the ones on the port and starboard rims of the saucer? Perhaps they all do but are normally covered by slide away panels for some reason.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's true; after all, the Defiant got away with that excuse for five years (according to the DS9TM, anyway). Most starships don't even have obvious hatches or doorways aside from their main shuttlebay, but of course they must HAVE them somewhere. Voyager was good at breaking that trend, what with its three rim hatches plus shuttle and cargo bay doors everywhere.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a few things reguarding hatches.

The Venture/Galaxies don't have air-locks along their saucer rim, from what we've seen - it's down on the 'neck'.

Voyager had at one time its forward 'portal' act as a port for a weapon (they purchased it from some alien race - of course we never saw it again)

And we saw the borg floating out of a 'cargo bay' through a portal in "Scorpion Part II." The Borg were tiny and the round portal would normally be about a deck high in diameter.

Now about this:

quote:
And David, dialogue specifically notes that Admiral Hastur's task force is composed of "six starships, led by
the Venture". We see four of them here; one wonders if this is an actual task force, or simply a squadron
cobbled together from locally-available ships...

Mark

Well, I remember when hearing/watching the "fleet" in this episode thinking WOW! 6 Ships... now they're gonna kick some Klingon butt.

The we had Bashir's comment in "Call To Arms" something like "I wish they'd send us like 20 ships" and laughing (I think others who were watching it at the time laughed too"... then we got the final scene... And we knew the feds were gonna kick some butt.

6 ships are fantastic
20 ships are AMAZING
40+ ships are wetting-pants-material...

We've just become spoilt in DS9 with all these ships. Blame B5 for this.

Trek with so many ships is pointless... A Few ships fighting throughout a solar system would be more the 'Trek' style. Utilising strategy and tactics - i.e. the rest of the crew).

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, though I do not thik it's B5 to blame. The massive fleets are obviously to boost ratings a bit.

I did not totally like the concept of the massive fleet since not even First Contact which showed us for the first time a massive fleet action sequence, even comes close to what we see later. Maybe it's just me but what is a Trek battle is a Star Trek II WoK type battle. Perhaps with a few ships on both sides, doing strategic moves, like chess. But doing it in a way that would make it suspenceful.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I remember how much everyone hated "Call to Arms."
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one like the massive fleet combats. It's rather rediculous for large empires not to engage in such things.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But that throws the whole "we're the only ship in the quadrant" thing out the window. On the flipside, it makes the appearance of large fleets all the more important.

I happen to like the large-scale battles 'cuz of the 'splosions and stuff. However, it would have been much more in a proper perspective if we'd known just how much any given side was committing to a given battle. So the Feds threw 600 if their ships against the Dominion. So what? It may sound big, but for all we know it's barely a fraction of the total fighting force. Or the largest fraction. We just don't know, and we all know how this drives us crazy. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So... Matrix... you agree with me?
quote:
A Few ships fighting throughout a solar system would be
more the 'Trek' style. Utilising strategy and tactics - i.e. the rest of the crew).

[Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps