Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Aft vs. Fore warp field dynamics (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Aft vs. Fore warp field dynamics
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A rear engine car pushes the car. A front engine car pulls the car. Makes sense?

I do not think that's how it workd but gives you an idea.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I can tell, the basic question in this thread is "why are the nacelles in the back of the ship, and not in the front?".

The answer is "because that's the way Matt Jefferies designed the Enterprise".

The Defiant
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on TSN, your ruining the discussion.

But it's a suprise, if the Federation new this, they wouldn't design more ships with long, middle positioned warp nacelles for efficency. That is why designs like the Sabre, Steamrunner, and Olympic classes make the most sense nacelle wise.
But those are the odd shaped ships, which makes no sense. [Confused]

IP: Logged
koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for koy'peled Oy'tio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whoa settle down my neghbors dog can hear you...must've figured out that 0's and 1's thing

--------------------
"Explore New Worlds"

The Defiant
Ex-Member

Well, we've got to put into account that nobody knew how stuff worked when Jefferies designed it. Which now we, the fanboys, have to explain.
Which is why Koy' created this thread.
Now I'm more confused.

koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for koy'peled Oy'tio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*in muffled swat voice* thanks for the back up

--------------------
"Explore New Worlds"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With back up like MIB, who needs enemies?

But the whole pull/push thing is nonsense. Just call it rear- or fore-mounted nacelles.

The Defiant
Ex-Member

Anytime Koy, Anytime.

For more backup check the Gettin’ comfy with Enterprise thread, my last post.

Snay, your going to need backup when someone higher up than you get's on your case because the wole MIB thing you have agaist me. Am I the only one tired of the MIB nonsense?

Maybe the delfector has something to do with it too. It's beam, while pushing away space junk could alter the field for more efficency.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My surprise is that you have neglected the ship your named after... mid-mount nacelles....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, lots of other people have tired of the MIB nonsense. They agree with me that you are MIB, but ask only that I rub it in your face when you deny it. [Smile]
The Defiant
Ex-Member

Is it just my sucrose induced sense or are we in for a major thread hijacking?
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am really sick of this guy. Someone figure out if he's actually MIB, and if so ban him. If he isn't, ban him anyway. When's the last decent thread we've had with him here? Either because of him, or Snay and the lot. It's gotten real old, real quick.
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me first say that I have no idea why I am posting this... the entire topic is stupid.

Placement of warp nacelles does not change how they work. The warp field encompasses the ship and "squeezes" it forward... thus a pushing action. -- There is no pull. A warp field flipped around doesn't pull a ship, it pushes it in reverse.

But this entire thread goes to a a root problem. WARP NACELLES DOESN'T CAUSE PROPULSION! It's the Warp Field they create. Wake up, it's not the Engine, it's the explosive force of a gasoline-air mixture pushing a piston which rotates a crank shaft which turns an axle and wheel. Nacelles are necessary, an Engine is necessary, but it's not the propulsive force.

The statements of front and rear drive don't apply to nacelles. If you are in a front drive car the wheels spin towards the front of the car, it's the same way in a rear drive car. THE FORCE IS THE SAME. A ship with nacelles up front create a warp field with the same shape [and thus same dynamics] as a ship with nacelles in the rear.

Warp fields can only push, they can push you forward or even push you in reverse [given the right conditions].

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

The Defiant
Ex-Member

Um, I never reall thought about that, J.
But one nitpick: If you take Sovvie nacelles and put them up front that might change the field a little. Whatever.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little forward of it's present position....
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps