Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Aft vs. Fore warp field dynamics (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Aft vs. Fore warp field dynamics
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because that wouldn't by KOYL!

Koy + Cool = KOYL

[Smile]

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i like how his picture thats there for no reason isnt actually wider than my monitor resolution this time... slowly but surely...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously it's used to demonstrate the unfamiliar concept of Nacelles-Aft design, that none of us are aware of and hasn't been predominant for the last 36 years.

Thank you Koy for allowing me to see what the warp nacelle configuration is for the Enterprise-E and confiriming that it does indeed have aft-based nacelles. We owe you a debt which will not be difficult to repay.

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FASA had a Romulan courier with a fore mounted nacelle: http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/romulan/courier_cs2.jpg

Obviously weapon hardpoints on the wing tips, on the forward hull beneath the nacelle and on the nacelle itself would give fairly good coverage. But a courier doesn't need heavy weaponry anyway.

And most Cardassian ships have their 'nacelles' embedded in the wing structures at the front of the ship.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

The Defiant
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most FASA designs scared me.

UM, let's pretend your not lying (not that you are, maybe) and ask HoW tEh HeLl DiD yOu SeE tEh ShIp!1!1! TeLl Me QuIcK1!1!

IP: Logged
The Defiant
Ex-Member

quote:
Originally posted by The Defiant:

UM, let's pretend your not lying (not that you are, maybe) and ask HoW tEh HeLl DiD yOu SeE tEh ShIp!1!1! TeLl Me QuIcK1!1!

quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
My surprise is that you have neglected the ship your named after... mid-mount nacelles....

Because they like to fly apart at Warp 8.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok Is ThEre A sPeCiAl KeY CoMmAnD tHaT LeT's YoU tYpE lIkE tHiS...?

It must be the "Fan Boy" key.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The Defiant
Ex-Member

Pachunce. An gud spellin.
capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was trying to find a scan of the TNG TM Nova ship with the nacelles forward dragging the rest of the ship arrangement... everyone knows that one, right

--------------------

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Defiant:

It's okay, they're just drawings on pieces of paper. They can't hurt you.

quote:
I used my eyes. As I have good eyesite I can see most illustrations quite well. Does that answer your question? If it doesn't then maybe you could elaborate a little, but please stop spilling things on your keyboard, it makes your typing erratic.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you so certain that Cardassian Warp Field Coils [They Aren't Nacelles unless they hang off in cylinder pods outside the ship!] are in the wings? The Cargo freighter indicates to me that they are embedded centerline. -- And the DS9 TM, as much as we hate it, does say "deep within the hull."

Beyond all this, many here assume that grille are necessary--- on the BoP and the Cardassian ships this seems to present a problem. The only thing I can remember I would call plasma vents, but not field grille in the typical Starfleet Federation style.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

capped
Member # 709

The Cardassian ships had parts of their structure referred to as the 'blade' in one episode.. the forward protrusions to the left or right. I believe these are what the DS9 TM were referencing when they were saying the warp coils were not in nacelles. they do have the requisite 'glowy' spots

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Tuvok referring to it as a blade seems (to me anyway) to indicate that it is a separate structure from the rest of the hull that performs a specific function. Nacelle-ish things seem as likely as not.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geordi pulled up an Okudagram of the embedded warp engines of a Galor in "Chain of Command, Part II."

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dang! If not for that last piece of information, I could have made an interesting and basically undisprovable claim...

Note that the Galor, the Keldon, the freighter (we need a class name!) and the Hideki all have one design feature very much in common: the pincerlike structure that's aft on most ships but forward in the freighter. That could easily have been the warp drive construct that Cardassian engineers prefer. I know Sternbach suggested it was a big disruptor thingamabob copied from the Klingons, but we never saw it fire disruptor bolts...

If the pincer thingie isn't a common engineering element, but more of a random design congruence, the Cardassian designs seem much less "familial". Only the Galors and Keldons have the orange glow. Only the freighter has this prominent aft (impulse?) glow. Well, perhaps the triangular-nacelled freighter seen docked to DS9 in the opening credits is another example of orange-glowing Cardassian design...

Any chance of getting a cap of the "Chain of Command" diagram?

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps