Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » shiplist questions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: shiplist questions
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I�m updating my shiplist with canon information only, & I ran across a couple of questions. First, there was the infamous �Operation Retrieve� chart, or another chart with ship info, from ST:VI. These are the ships I believe were written on the chart:

U.S.S. Oberth NCC-602
U.S.S. Eagle NCC-956
U.S.S. Whorfin NCC-1024
U.S.S. Scovil NCC-1598
U.S.S. Helin NCC-1692
U.S.S. John Muir NCC-1732
U.S.S. Emden NCC-1856
U.S.S. Endeavor NCC-1895
U.S.S. Springfield NCC-1963
U.S.S. Constellation NX-1974
U.S.S. Korolev NCC-2014
U.S.S. Challenger NCC-2032
U.S.S. Ahwahnee NCC-2048

Was this chart actually seen in the movie? Did any of these ships have a class designation? Does anyone have even a small screencap of this chart?

Then, I found the U.S.S. Essex NCC-1697 (not the Daedalus class ship), and the U.S.S. Kongo NCC-1710, both listed as Constitution class ships. Does anyone know the source for this ship information?

Third, I had a question about the runabouts. Besides the first three which debuted in �Emissary,� there were the:
Orinoco NCC-72905
Mekong NCC-72917
Rubicon NCC-72936
Shenandoah NCC-73024
Volga NCC-73196
unknown NCC-73918
Yukon NCC-74602
Yellowstone NX-74751

My question is, were any of these registries actually shown on the runabouts? Were there any runabouts that only existed as stock footage?

Finally, my last question concerns the U.S.S. Sao Paulo: Were there ever shots of the ship with this name, or did the ship totally consist of Defiant stock footage?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Was this chart actually seen in the movie?
Yes, of course. On the Enterprise-A bridge displays. And some ships were on the Operation Retrieve Chart.
We got the ship from Bjo Trimble's Concordance and Kyle asked Ms. Trimble if she has pictures of these displays. But unfortunately she's busy with conventions at the moment.

quote:
Did any of these ships have a class designation?
AFAIK no.

quote:
Does anyone have even a small screencap of this chart?
Well, I wasn't able to spot these displays but if anyone can specify a scene, I'll make a screenshot of it.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally believe those ships listed are not the prototypes of the unseen ships int he Encyclopedias. So:

USS Oberth: Naturally she has a good number for the registry. So she should be the prototype.

USS Eagle: I think someone stated that she was a refitted Connie, if so then she has basically the same story as the Constellation NCC-1017.

USS Whorfin: Is it stated what ship she is? Because she could have same story as the Constellation as well.

USS Scovil: We really have no ships in the 15XX range, so it's up in the air.

USS Helin: Another Connie or even the refit.

USS John Muir: Another Connie or refit

USS Emden: Has a registry close to the Reliant's and Saratoga (one of them at least).

USS Endeavor: Most likely a Miranda class ship than a Connie. But it's a toss up seeing that the previous Endeavor was a Connie.

USS Constellation: Having the NX shows that she is a prototype of something, so she most likely is the Constellation prototype.

USS Korolev: Most likely an Excelsior class, seeing that only a few years later Starfleet commissions a subclass of the Excelsior class, the E-B.

USS Challenger: Same as the Korolev.

USS Ahwahnee: Same as the Korolev.

It is possible to have another Essex in the fleet after 80 or so years after the Daedalus class one. Same goes for the Kongo.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
USS Eagle: I think someone stated that she was a refitted Connie, if so then she has basically the same story as the Constellation NCC-1017.
Yes, the Operation Retrieve Chart showed refitted Connie silhouettes. But I believe they were just placeholders (like the Potemkin having an Ambassador-silhouette but being an Excelsior-class vessel).
On Constitution below 1700 is enough.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
Then, I found the U.S.S. Essex NCC-1697 (not the Daedalus class ship), and the U.S.S. Kongo NCC-1710, both listed as Constitution class ships. Does anyone know the source for this ship information?

Encyclopedia. Both. Version 3. Maybe 2, too.

quote:

Third, I had a question about the runabouts. Besides the first three which debuted in �Emissary,� there were the:
Orinoco NCC-72905
Mekong NCC-72917
Rubicon NCC-72936
Shenandoah NCC-73024
Volga NCC-73196
unknown NCC-73918
Yukon NCC-74602
Yellowstone NX-74751

My question is, were any of these registries actually shown on the runabouts? Were there any runabouts that only existed as stock footage?

The Danube, from the DS9TM. The unnamed Runabout from TNG. And Gander. Hope I forgot none.

quote:

Finally, my last question concerns the U.S.S. Sao Paulo: Were there ever shots of the ship with this name, or did the ship totally consist of Defiant stock footage?

Just stock footage.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

DoughBoy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Springfield must be a Soyuz Class with a registry lower than Constellation but higher than the Bozeman.
IP: Logged
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, well it's not.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for your replies. Now, the responses:

quote:
Yes, of course. On the Enterprise-A bridge displays. And some ships were on the Operation Retrieve Chart.
If these names were seen in the movie, then I'll add them to my list. As far as the Eagle goes, I'll list its class as unknown because I agree with Spike that the silhouette was just a placeholder. However, I'll list the Oberth & the Constellation as the class ships, as I believe they were intended to be. The only question is the U.S.S. Whorfin. Is it a class ship? Is there any canon info stating that the El-Aurian transports were "Whorfin-class," or that the two should be synonymous?

quote:
Encyclopedia. Both. Version 3. Maybe 2, too.
You must have a different Encyclopedia than I have, because none of mine showed any information at all about the Kongo or the Connie Essex (and I have all three versions).

quote:
The Danube, from the DS9TM. The unnamed Runabout from TNG. And Gander. Hope I forgot none.
I'm not using any info from written sources, so the Danube won't be on the list. But, thanks for the TNG runabout; I'd forgotten about that one. Did it have a registry number? Also, I did have the Gander; just forgot to list it.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Okuda did make graphics for the E-B's Science Officer's (the woman other than Demora) display stating the ships names as SS Lakul and SS Robert Fox both as Whorfin class. I believe he even added reg numbers for the ships. I think I read somewhere that Okuda did intend for these two ships to be the same class as the USS Whorfin and that the Whorfin was the class ship. Could be wrong though.

[ June 10, 2002, 20:44: Message edited by: Dat ]

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at my Star Trek VI DVD, the Operation: Retrieve section goes like this:

Page 1:
3 Constitution class starships, unsure if there is info printed alongside them or not (too small to read)

Page 2:
3 starships shown flying towards Rura Pentha. 1 is a Constitution, 1 is possibly an Excelsior, and the other is unknown, it's smaller then the other two. I would guess Miranda, but it looks too small to even be that. It could also be Oberth.

Beside each of these three ships is a name and registry number. The small ship has a short name and even shorter registry number then the rest. I would take a stab at this being the USS Oberth NCC-602. Both the other two ships have long names and 4-digit registry numbers.

In the upper right is a top view of a Constitution class with another long name and 4-digit registry number. Below that are top views of two small ships similar to the one mentioned above. One has the same short name and registry, the other has a longer name and 4-digit registry.

Page 3:
No ships

As for the bridge screen on the Enterprise, from what I can make out on it, it does indeed list classes. I can clearly see where the entry for the USS Constellation is, since it has the longest name and is the only registry with an NX.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have a DVD player in your pc, could you please make some screenshots.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
the E-B's Science Officer's (the woman other than Demora)

You mean Jenette (Aliens' Private Vasquez) Goldstein?
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
The only question is the U.S.S. Whorfin. Is it a class ship?
The ships in "Generations" didn't look like Starfleet ships.

quote:
You must have a different Encyclopedia than I have, because none of mine showed any information at all about the Kongo or the Connie Essex (and I have all three versions).
The Essex is mentioned in the E3's "Constitution-class" entry.

quote:
I'm not using any info from written sources, so the Danube won't be on the list.
Since "Danube-class" was mentioned onscreen, would'nt it be logical to assume that a USS Danube exists?

quote:
If you have a DVD player in your pc, could you please make some screenshots.
http://home.arcor.de/spike730/misc/or/

Does anyone have a timeindex for the bridge displays?

--------------------

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Essex is from the Constitution-index, as Spike said (thanks for the images... [Smile] ), but I didn't find Kongo. Strange, since I remember the ship from different sources, even before the information about West's chart was available. For example, the model kit of the original Constitution included decals for all ships, including the Kongo. I think they even gave the registry for the ship (as well as for the others, starting with 1700 - 1711, and the 1017).

Dat: We could ask him.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

AFAIK the Kongo was mentioned in "The Making of ST", "Starfleet Technical Manual" and according to the TUC-display the Kongo was on Neutral Zone Patrol.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps