Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » shiplist questions (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: shiplist questions
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think someone has already asked him about the chart. In fact, I seem to recall doing it myself...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked Okuda sometime ago, he said he doesn't have them anymore (MIA somwhere in the storage rooms of the lot). But he said Bjo Trimble could have some notes and/or pictures somewhere. So I asked her. But she said that there could be notes somewhere, but she doesn't find them. Pure speculation: Is there anyone from the art departement who worked on that movie and who might know something more than those two?

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, err... shiplist: everyone seems to list Mekong as 72617 (given in Encyclopedia 3), but the ship chart of the Encyclopedia gives 72917. What's correct (Rubicon is 72936, Orinoco is 72905, som the 917 would make more sense, IMO). Not important enough to start a thread, but this seems to be the perfect place for it...

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the 72917 reg in my shiplist.

On another note, I don't believe that the U.S.S. Whorfin is the class ship for the Whorfin class. The Whorfin's mission was deep space exploration. Why would you send a transport ship (which is clearly what the Lakul & the Robert Fox are) to explore deep space? Presumably, the Federation Whorfin class transports (aside from the fact that they look nothing like Starfleet ships) are a separate entity from the Starfleet U.S.S. Whorfin, which for all we know is a Constitution class vessel.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
As stated above, I was going by the information so far presented to me. And as far as I know, all of it might be wrong. My information stated that the six ships used in Operation Retrieve were the Scovil, the Endeavor, the Springfield, the Challenger, the Ahwahnee, and the Eagle. I got that information from Reverend’s original shiplist, which I’ve heretofore modified. I don’t know where he got his information. And I didn’t know about the Potemkin.
To be honest I'm not sure where I got that info from, but it most likely came from here or off of Ex Astris. Treat it with suspicion because the list could easily be wrong.
Just to double check what’s on your copy, this is what my current database has on the ST:VI ships:-

U.S.S. OBERTH
NCC-602
OBERTH-CLASS
On deep space exploration in 2293

U.S.S. EAGLE
NCC-956
>UNKNOWN<
On colony re-supply mission in 2293, Potential participant of Operation Retrieve

U.S.S.WHORFIN
NCC-1024
WHORFIN-CLASS
First of it's class, A deep space explorer, Assigned to neutral zone patrol in 2293

U.S.S. REPUBLIC
NCC-1371
>UNKNOWN<
Kirk's post as an Ensign along with Ben Finney. Assigned to neutral zone patrol in 2293, Assigned to Terran system as a training ship since 2320's

U.S.S. SCOVIL
NCC-1598
>UNKNOWN<
On astronomical research in 2293, Potential participant of Operation Retrieve

U.S.S. POTEMKIN
NCC-1657
CONSTITTION-CLASS
Participated in disastrous war-game drill with M-5 in 2268, On scientific survey in 2293, Potential participant of Operation Retrieve

U.S.S. HELIN
NCC-1692
>UNKNOWN<
Scientific survey ship on neutral zone patrol in sector 21290 in 2293

U.S.S. KONGO
NCC-1710
CONSTITTION-CLASS
Assigned to neutral zone patrol in 2293

U.S.S. JOHN MUIR
NCC-1732
>UNKNOWN<
Underwent upgrade at Starbase 24 in 2293

U.S.S. LANTREE
NCC-1837
MIRANDA-CLASS
Class-6 supply ship equipped with class-3 defensive armaments, carried colony supplies in sector 22858 in 2293, Commanded by Captain L.Isao Telaka in 2365, all 26 crew members killed by accelerated ageing, ship scuttled by U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D

U.S.S. EMDEN
NCC-1856
>UNKNOWN<
Assigned to neutral zone patrol in 2293

U.S.S. ENDEAVOUR
NCC-1895
>UNKNOWN<
On deep space exploration in 2293, Potential participant of Operation Retrieve

U.S.S. SPRINGFIELD
NCC-1963
>UNKNOWN<
Assigned to neutral zone patrol in 2293, Potential participant of Operation Retrieve

U.S.S. CONSTELLATION
NCC-1974
CONSTELLATION-CLASS
Underwent NX stage certification tests in 2293, Transported Jem'hadar to Starbase 201 in 2371, Assisted in the search for survivors of U.S.S. Honshu NCC-60205 with the U.S.S Defiant NX-74205

U.S.S. KOROLEV
NCC-2014
>UNKNOWN<
On diplomatic mission in 2293

U.S.S. CHALLENGER
NCC-2032
>UNKNOWN<

U.S.S. AHWAHNEE
NCC-2048
>UNKNOWN<

As I said, treat this with suspicion; it's not carved in stone.

[ June 13, 2002, 18:14: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
U.S.S. POTEMKIN
NCC-1657
CONSTITTION-CLASS
Participated in disastrous war-game drill with M-5 in 2268, On scientific survey in 2293, Potential participant of Operation Retrieve

Nooo! Don't confuse the two Potemkins. The first Potemkin (NCC-1657, Baton Rouge-class) was decommissioned in 2244. After that Starfleet built the Constitution-class Potemkin NCC-1711, which was destroyed in 2291. NCC-1657 was re-commissioned by Cartwright in 2293 to have more ships available. [Wink]

[ June 13, 2002, 15:58: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sweet jeebus, noooo....

BTW, your spell checker seems to have raped that list.. a colony crisply mission?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
sweet jeebus, noooo....

BTW, your spell checker seems to have raped that list.. a colony crisply mission?

Damn, if it's not my spell checker changing things it shouldn't then it's this buggy keyboard and it's wonderful typos...
To be fair though, that database has about 260 entries....can't check them all.

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is true.. all the connies are listed as CONSTITTION-CLASS too
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
is true.. all the connies are listed as CONSTITTION-CLASS too

Yeah, I already spotted that one and have corrected the database.

--------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Nooo! Don't confuse the two Potemkins"

You mean the real one, and the one that smells finely of fanboy ass, because that's whence it came from?

capped
Member # 709

Agreed... more politely, even though an older, non-Constitution Potemkin would explain the low registry assigned by Okuda and Jein, most of the world regards the registry given in the Encyclopedia as the registry of the Potemkin from The Original Series. I don't think theres any point in making complicated explanations, the simplest one, to follow the razor, is that the registry system is a little cocked up and therefore, not at a sequential when dealing with Connies for reason or reasons unknown. More complicated explanations equal more complicated inaccuracies between sources.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming the seven supposed names of the OR ships are right, I think they might match up like this. I suspect the Potemkin is one of the ships on page 2. I'm not sure about the Springfield and Challenger, though. They could be the other way around.

I figured this out basically by comparing the length of each ship name to the length of its "USS".

-

[ June 13, 2002, 23:59: Message edited by: TSN ]

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one you name Challenger could also be the John Muir - there's a teeny weeny gap between the two halves of the name, dividing it into two segments that are each as long as the supposedly four-digit registry number below.

Of course, "undergoing an upgrade" is even less likely an assignment than "deep space exploration" for a ship that's going to be drafted for a rapid-reaction covert operation...

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took that gap to be an 'L'. There seems to be a black bit at the bottom of the gap. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be two 'L's. And there aren't enough letters to make up "ENGER" after it. I'm somewhat doubtful about the Challenger and the Springfield completely, really. But this is assuming the names we have are correct...
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps