Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Sao Paolo (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Sao Paolo
StationMaster
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for StationMaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Chief Vorta - A federation Ship is approaching.."

"You Dozy twit - I bet Sisko is on that ship"

"Sorry Vorta"

"What is that ship - something looks Different?"

"Its.....not the Defiant Its........The Sao Paolo"

"WTF??? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !"

*Vorta laughs so hard he hits the Auto Destruct button by accident*

STAR FLEETS NEW WEAPON - Humor........

serious though.............
You can name a warship the USS"Let kick some Crud" or the USS Night Terror, but Sao Paolo - who are the writers trying to kid here?

------------------
---- AAARRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!----

I feel better now.

[This message was edited by StationMaster on May 14, 1999.]

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yes, Gringo? let's dump YOU in the middle of downtown Sao Paulo and see how long you last. . . 8)
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry I'm not up on my Brazilian history. What happened there?

------------------
I need help with getting a new sig. file, graduation, my girlfriend, my college junk. Ugh! I just need help.

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not what happened there so much as the fact that it has huge number of large, nasty slums and shanty towns.

Insert rant about evil nature of western capitalist corparations and weak willed governments.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*wonders why we have recently abandoned keeping potential spoilers out of sight of those who don't want to know*

------------------
Quark: "Lesson number one: No one involved in extra-legal activity considers himself nefarious." (DS9: "The Sound of Her Voice")

StationMaster
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for StationMaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry abut that - got carried away with the rant.....

But seriously - they name a war ship after a shanty town?????

Wonders off into the dark.........

------------------

I feel better now.

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sao Paolo is a major metropolis in Brazil. At least, there is no ship named Caligula or Sodom.
IP: Logged
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was talking this over with Sol the other day - the way that dynamic countries like Brazil are totally ignored by SF. I mean! All the rivers they've named runabouts after - and was there a USS Amazon? Was there hell! Sao Paulo is one of the largets cities in the world by population, and who knows what other significance it may have gained by the 24th century.

And meanwhile no one - NOT ONE PERSON - questions that a starship was named after Bozeman, Montana! And why should they? *does obeisance* It's in AMERICA, and there are no darkies, dagos, wops or wogs there. Jesus Christ, I ask you. . .

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the name Sao Paolo.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"If it's not fun, it's not Macintosh." - Adam Engst

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cultural diversity is the answer.

------------------
Quark: "Lesson number one: No one involved in extra-legal activity considers himself nefarious." (DS9: "The Sound of Her Voice")

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee: Well, they named it after Bozeman because Brannon Braga (?) is from there, but I suppose a Trek-world explanation could have something to do w/ the fact that the Phoenix was launched from an unspecified site in Montana...

As for there never being a runabout Amazon, there also hasn't been a runabout Mississippi or Missouri, but we can't all have our ways...

------------------
"Sew, very old one! Sew like the wind!"
-Martin Short, The Three Amigos

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think most of you who are dissin' the Name Sao Palao, are white boys. I bet you are the same people who would applaud and cheer if they named it USS General Lee, and would be offended if the named it USS Hoopdy (from homeboyz in outer space)

------------------
Homeboy in Outerspace
(The only surviving fan of UPN's Homeboyz in Outer Space)

[This message was edited by Brown_supahero on May 16, 1999.]

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee, you've hit the nail on the head.

Goffy, they're not really going to call it the SP. It'll be Defiant-A or I'm a sri lankan hermit.

------------------
there's a bird in the chimney,and a stone in my bed
when the road's washed out,they pass the bottle around
and wait in the arms,of the cold cold ground

StationMaster
Member # 63

Hummm - Am I some White boy from the USA.....?

LMAO!

Do I applaud at General Lee?.......I have no idea who he is - the most connection I had with that name is from the Dukes of Hazard!

FYI -I am an open minded Brit.

And no - I dont think the USS Churchill is a good idea either.

My point was the Defiant Class is a warship.
To name a warship something as obscure as the Sal Paolo - I am sure that only 0.000000001% of the Alpha Quadrant knows what a Sal Paolo is.
Does that strike Fear into the hearts of your enemies?
I am sure that if they had studied earth culture, maybe it would, however one cannot think that the Jem Hadar would really be that educated.

Personally I think that a Star Ship should be named after things on earth - ALL OF EARTH. The fact is Trek of late has been trying to address this issue if somewhat badly.
The USS Thunderchild for one.

However......you start hitting mine fields the minute you cross the culture barrier.
Sabre or Saber?

So far much of Star Trek has cover nearly all of the planet for names and cultures. South America however is one such place which has not been covered by Trek. I too wondered about the Amazon!

The point I was trying to make though was they could have come up with something a little more interesting to call the Defiant's replacement before it, as I hope, gets renamed.

------------------

I feel better now.

[This message was edited by StationMaster on May 16, 1999.]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since when is 'Prometheus' a good name for a warship. Sure, it's a tad bit more intimidating then Sao Paolo, but it isn't warship material.

Oh, and General Lee was the Confederated States of America's leading General in the civial war. And, yes, I DO have a USS Lee. Of course, in the same class, I also have a USS Grant, who was the US's leading general in the civil war, so it's similar to the Monitor and Merrimack naming scheme.

As for not seeing some of these ship names you want to see, think for a second. We know Starfleet has built nearly 75500+ starships so far. Last time I checked, my list was only 300 ships long, so we couldn't have seen EVERYTHING. It is likely that there are Runabouts out there called Mississippi, Missouri, Nile, Amazon, etc, etc, but we just don't see them. If we were to be given a list of EVERY starship it wouldn't give the writers much imagination, would it?

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps