Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Sao Paolo (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Sao Paolo
Deep6
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matt, just cause I love pointing out when your not exactly right.....Grant wasnt ALWAYS the Union general....they had something like 5....McClellan, Meade, Grant, and I dont remember the others.

------------------
"Well yeah ok thats just about the most awful thing I've ever seen"

IP: Logged
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was referring to General Lee in Dukes of Hazard.

Don't get me wrong i'm not totally racist about that show because it is about white trash driving around in cars. It did give the world that famous Daisy Dukes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deep6
Ex-Member

Plus, has anyone ever noticed the US Navy's naming system....their warships have some of the dumbest names I've ever heard. Compared to some of those, Sao Paolo sounds very reasonable.

------------------

monkeyboy
Ex-Member

I thinnk the Prometheous is an ok name for a warship.

It has that connection to fire and the titans.

The ship I have problems with is the American destroyer or Cruiser, Phillipine Sea.
Just think it is a bit long.

Speaking of long, what is the longest name for a warship used in English and English translation from other languages like Chinese.

------------------
I did'nt do it.

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I agree entirely, naming a ship after a sea or body of water is probably a good idea. Captain, I want you to take the Adriatic Sea to Phillipine Sea .
A...Sir...My ship is the Phillipine Sea.
lol

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's wrong with Sodom? Sodom was a city in Genesis.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Trinculo
Ex-Member

Deep6: You listed the generals who fought in the eastern campaign. The Union had a great many more generals than the ones you listed.
Federation Shipmaster: Sodom is the origin of sodomy. (It would be equivalent to naming a ship the USS Maquis de Sade who had his name become sadism.)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*has always wondered why people get sodomized, but no-one ever gets gemorrahized* :-)

------------------
"Sew, very old one! Sew like the wind!"
-Martin Short, The Three Amigos

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They'd better have an Amazon before a Mississippi (not the longest river in North America, by the way!) or a Missouri.

------------------
Garak: "I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences." (DS9: "Cardassians")

Deep6
Ex-Member

Trinculo, wrong.....the ones i listed were some of the generals who were given command of the ENTIRE Union army, just as Lee was given command of the ENTIRE Confederate army.

------------------

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hooker was another Northern General, and thee was another one before Grant. McClellan had the job twice. One General won the battle at Getteysburg, but failed to pursue the confedertes after the battle, and was removed, Beauregard maybe. The "Camp Girls" that followed Hooker's army were called Hookers, and still are today.

I didn't know Bozeman was the name of a town.

------------------
PARTURITION

Deep6
Ex-Member

Excalibur, George Meade won at Gettysburg.

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, the funny thing about Sodom is that there's no concrete mention of anything resembling the practice of "sodomy" going on IN Sodom.

That's not what "God" blew it up for, a fact often overlooked, as it is inconvenient.

I will say no more on this, unless someone decides to take it to the flameboard.

Continue discussion.

I have no problem with naming a ship Sao Paulo, though I admit the name isn't likely to frighten anybody. (Robin, Space Pirates are a superstitious and cowardly lot...)

And the USS Hoopty? Sounds like a ship even a Pakled could blow out of space. :P

------------------
You're just JEALOUS because the little voices talk to ME!

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget William T. Sherman.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I appreciate any name of non-US origin for a starship, but I don't like USS Sao Paulo for a Defiant class ship. It sounds rather like an Excelsior or Nebula.

I bet they will name the ship USS Defiant NCC-75XXX.

------------------
"No, thanks. I've had enough. One more cup and I'll jump to warp." (Janeway, asked if she would like some coffee in "Once upon a Time")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps