Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Schimitar thoughts[ST10 $$$ pic] (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Schimitar thoughts[ST10 $$$ pic]
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blah blah blah blah... can I just say that the problem with the Warbat there is it's too busy. It has no definate SHAPE. The Trek ships have shown that the further in the future you get the more 'smooth' and 'refined' the ships shapes are.

Sternbach had a REAL flare for designing his ships (so did Andy Probert) but Sternbach could pump out a ship that had THOUGHT behind it. You'd KNOW it was CARDASSIAN or KLINGON or ROMULAN.

Anyone notice how all the new ships from the end of the Kazon to the End of Ent season 1 (excluding the Starfleet ships) have been very... sameish. Very hard to distinguish. None of the ships would say "CARDASSIAN" like the Galor does for The Cardassian Union etc. They just look like jumbled up arcs and spikes.

Oh and all the nebulae - blame Babylon 5 for that. They think they need to have some sort of colourful background in each effect's shot. And now the end parts of DS9 and Voyager.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh can I also say in this pic:

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/jeffco/images/Image2.jpg

The lighting is HORRID. It's FLAT and UGLY like Insurrection. CGI sucks.

And that Reman ship for a second looked like that Son'a collector (without it's sail)

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You people do realize the movie isn't finished yet, right? Your little light problem is probably still being worked on. Come on people, it's just the trailer, not the actual film! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Galor is just a Vorcha flipped around and painted gold. Ooh, "species specific!"
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yeah, and I love the "from the end of the Kazon to Enterprise" bit, too. I'm trying to remember who was the chief ship designer for Voyager for its entire run. Come on, the name is on the tip of my tongue...
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
The Galor is just a Vorcha flipped around and painted gold. Ooh, "species specific!"

Well, don't forget that it's a backwards, golden Vorcha with it's nacelles ripped off!

Some years ago Andy Probert and I talked at length about starship design. He was very complimentary about several other designers, but he did point out that a number of the people he worked with or knew didn't have industrial design backgrounds like he did, and he thought that they came at the ship designs a different way than he did for that reason.

One cool thing he designed (for a TNG computer game that was never released) was a Starfleet fighter craft that looked nothing like the Star Wars-ian kludges we've seen on the shows. His design had a similar esthetic to the GCS, but it was clearly a fighter. It's tough to describe exactly, but picture a curvy CGS-eque version of the warp sled shuttle from TMP, where the front of the shuttle body is a bubble cockpit and the nacelles are phaser cannons (with slotted fronts that looks like the tips of the TMP/TWOK phasers), and you'll kinda a crude idea of the shape.

[ June 30, 2002, 18:29: Message edited by: MrNeutron ]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also on his site.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Siwiak
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Oh can I also say in this pic:

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/jeffco/images/Image2.jpg

That series of doors just below that blue window almost looks like where the collector's sails popped out of.

The comment on ships with a "species-look," I think, does a good job of describing some of the best-designed ships. Come on, the Vor'Cha and Galor had character in them, while these new ones are all shiny, some shade a gray and only do a good job of showing how well light can reflect off their CG textured hulls. Even the Dominion Battlecrusier was rather straight-forward, and you could look at the thing and quickly recognize its features.

The Scimitar, at least in the trailer, looks like a kitbash of ships that didn't impress me the first time around.

IP: Logged
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
It's also on his site.

What's also on his site? You didn't link to a specific page or even indicate what "it" is.
My Kingdom for a noun! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Shik meant the unsued Galaxy-esque fighter. It really is not on his site. What I saw that even comes close to what was being described was the Sphinx Workpod featured in the TNGTM, but also unused. The Sphinx on his site was a general schematic-type and three quarters view drawing, and in an unused Valera III matte painting.

[ June 30, 2002, 22:58: Message edited by: Dat ]

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It WAS there...it'll probably come back as he completes his reconstruction. It was basically this somewhat egg-shaped central pod with a clear wraparound window...& there were 2 propulsion & weapons arms that came out & around from the back.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds to me that Shik is describing the scrapped design of the original TNG shuttle.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Shik
Member # 343

Shik is not. Maybe one day I'll draw it out if MY FUCKING SHOWER DRAIN EVER UNCLOGS SO I CAN TAKE A SHOWER....!!

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it sounds to me like the Sphinx workpod...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was already mentioned. He said that that's not what he's talking about.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps