Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Merrimack in "Birthright" (TNG)/Cochrane in "The Game" (TNG) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Merrimack in "Birthright" (TNG)/Cochrane in "The Game" (TNG)
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1.) What was seen/mentioned of the Merrimack in BR?
2.) Was the Cochrane in "The Game"?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) IIRC, Etana wanted one of the crew members (I forget which one) to transfer over to the Merrimac in an effort to spread the Game.

2) Wesley rendesvoused with the Enterprise in an Oberth, but it was just stock footage of the ship Norah Satie arrived in. Curiously, Wesley was described as arriving in a shuttle. Perhaps "shuttle" is used here as a generic term for any ship that shuttles people around, in this case an Oberth.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or for some reason or another, they had to shuttle him over, instead of using a transporter.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
1) IIRC, Etana wanted one of the crew members (I forget which one) to transfer over to the Merrimac in an effort to spread the Game.

2) Wesley rendesvoused with the Enterprise in an Oberth, but it was just stock footage of the ship Norah Satie arrived in. Curiously, Wesley was described as arriving in a shuttle. Perhaps "shuttle" is used here as a generic term for any ship that shuttles people around, in this case an Oberth.

Wait...so the Merrimack was in "The Game" too? I had no knowledge of this. I was asking about what was mentioned of the ship in "Birthright."

But thanks... [Smile]

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1.) AFAIK they mentioned that Cmdr. Rudman was an officer aboard the Merrimac in Birthright.

[ July 01, 2002, 14:02: Message edited by: Spike ]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could be wrong about the Merrimac reference in "The Game." I just remember that a crew member was to be tranferred to another ship, & it was a Nebula from the name they gave.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMoM--The only way you'll find the Merrimack reference in "Birthright" in the Encyclopedia is under the entry for Commander Rudman. Just to let you know if you can't find it.

--------------------
Meh

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was the Endeavour they mentioned in 'The Game'. The Cmdr. Rudman/Merrimack reference is from the Encyclopedia, maybe it was mentioned on the show, but I don't remember it. Must have been one of those small throw-away lines you usually don't remember (although if it's starship-throwaway, I usually notice and remember it.)

There was no mention of the Cochrane in 'The Game', Riker was ordered to take a shuttle to spread the game on the Endeavour while I think Troi was ordered to take the game with her to Starbase whatever. Where did you get the Cochrane from? Only episodes I know are 'The Drumhead' and 'Emissary', and I don't think the name Cochrane was ever mentioned in any of those episodes.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I thought that was the Endeavour.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I distinctly remember hearing the Merrimack in "The Game"

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ship mentioned as a plot point in "The Game" was the Endeavor, allegedly fresh out of the construction yards and early duty on the blockade line in "Redemption II". The Merrimack was the ship that picked Wesley up at the end of the show.

In TNG, the ONLY times we actually see a Nebula-class ship on the screen is when the ship is directly referenced: the Phoenix in "The Wounded", the Melbourne (arguably) in "BoBWII", the Sutherland in "Redemption II", and the Farragut in "Generations". Other than that, they are only dialogue references to Nebbies, whose class names we figure out from the Encyclopedia (Merrimack, Monitor, Endeavor, Hera, et. al.).

In DS9 and Voyager we frequently see Nebula-class ships docked to things or otherwise part of some obscure Starfleet presence. They are rarely named.

Mark

[ July 01, 2002, 16:51: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

CaptAlabin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and the Prometheus in DS9 "Second Sight"
IP: Logged
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

After the original Prometheus footage was shot, the same stock footage would be used to represent the Lexington and the T'Kumbra. However, I don't think the model was ever labeled "Prometheus."

For "The Game," there were three ships seen/mentioned. The Oberth that Wesley originally arrived in, the Merrimack (which was the ship Wesley would depart in, but wasn't seen), and the Endeavor (which was the ship Etana mentioned). I don't know of any reference that stated the Endeavor was fresh out of the shipyard.

--------------------

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They had relabeled the Prometheus. There were two additional shot of the ship flying at warp to that collapsed star. And back then I was trying to figure out the registry (before the glorious age of the Encaclopedia). I think I came pretty close. Since it's a crap episode, I didn't watch it in ages, but I'm sure the ship was the Prometheus.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, they did relabel the Nebula model, because I also remember seeing the proper registry number on the hull in one of the shots. That was way back when I was first getting into the wonderful world of cataloging Starfleet ships...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps