Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Merrimack in "Birthright" (TNG)/Cochrane in "The Game" (TNG) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Merrimack in "Birthright" (TNG)/Cochrane in "The Game" (TNG)
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Oberth-class Yosemite had a crew of five, and the ranking officer was a lieutenant, so...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
on small ships:

The Defiant was commanded by a Commander until Sisko was promoted to Captain, and then he commanded it during big deal fleet ops, but usually a Lt Cmdr was in the chair ( i think Dax was officially the captain while Sisko was assigned to SB 375, and Worf was always the ships master whenever we saw it in ops before that )

I think Oberths typically would be commanded by lts or cmdrs, the only reason we saw the Grissom with a captain was that it was a sensitive mission.. or perhaps it does depend on the crew size.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the other hand, if you have a Captain in command of an Akira or Excelsior for example, you should have at least a Fleet Captain or Commodore (if that rank still exists) in Command of a Galaxy, maybe even an Admiral for a Sovereign. Still, this is not the case. The commanding officer of the Lantree (designated a tansport ship with a crew of a dozen or so) was a Captain, as was the commanding officer of the Brattain. Or the above mentioned Esteban. I have no problem with lower-ranking personel in such positions, but if they do it, they should do it consequently.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

The Real Folk Blues
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heh, well the CO of the Nenebek was a "Captain" too. maybe not all of these Captains are really Captains. maybe the "Captain" of the Lantree was like "yar, call me Captain or ye gets me phaser in yer teeth, yar". or maybe Captain was just being used as a polite adjective: if you are the CO of a ship, then you are a "Captain", but not necessarily a Captain.

[ July 03, 2002, 10:34: Message edited by: The Real Folk Blues ]

IP: Logged
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Real Folk Blues:
heh, well the CO of the Nenebek was a "Captain" too. maybe not all of these Captains are really Captains. maybe the "Captain" of the Lantree was like "yar, call me Captain or ye gets me phaser in yer teeth, yar". or maybe Captain was just being used as a polite adjective: if you are the CO of a ship, then you are a "Captain", but not necessarily a Captain.

Captain Telaka was seen on-screen, at least his corpse. Clearly visible were four stars. Same for Captain Zaheva. Picard reviewed her log entry.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The difference however is that the captains of the Lantree and Br!ttain had four pips, whereas other "skippers" like Dax did not. Wartime may be a factor here.

During world wars, destroyers, subs and even frigates were often commended by naval officers as low in rank as lieutenant...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Real Folk Blues
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
been a while since i saw those episodes. well, if there are 4 pips there are 4 pips.
IP: Logged
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ignore this.

[ July 03, 2002, 13:02: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps