Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Merrimack in "Birthright" (TNG)/Cochrane in "The Game" (TNG) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Merrimack in "Birthright" (TNG)/Cochrane in "The Game" (TNG)
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NCC-71201 and USS Prometheus are clearly viewable in one of the two shots where the Prometheus is in motion. It is not visible in the two shots where she's docked at the station, which is why we frequently see her representing other ships.

And the Prometheus is a special one for me too - because that's where I started to discriminate between good and bad bridge designs, and was complaining a lot about the total lack of forethought that went into the ship's sets and even her crew.

Mark

[ July 02, 2002, 09:31: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is that the one where evryone except the captain has to stand around at their stations??

someone please post a link - i'm to lazy to go to that site which has it....

*waits for reprimand*

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can find the bridge of the Prometheus on Bernd's site. It has chairs for almost everyone, but my main complaint is with how utilitarian and patchwork the bridge set looks. I'd expect the Nebula-class ships to have at least a modicum of class. That, and a CO with a rank higher than Lieutenant (jg.) Piersall!

You're probably thinking of the bridge set of the USS Sutherland, which had free-standing Conn and Ops consoles. There were seats for the science stations, but they were rarely manned. Anyway, most people seem to think that the Sutherland set was a battle bridge or aux control room, and not the actual bridge for teh ship under construction.

Mark

--------------------

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't the Prometheus bridge later reused for the Odyssey? They really should have kept the E-D's bridge set after Generations. Prometheus' bridge was the worst one ever. If they don't have the money, they could have built a smaller bridge for an Oberth-class ship for example. And it would have been more believable with Lt. Piersall and Seyetik and everything.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw "The Visitor" and noticed that there is a Nebula docked on one of the pylons when they are evacuating the station from the Klingons. Is there any information on what model was used here? It could be a re-use of the Leeds shot from the opening credits, but I'm not sure.

--------------------
Meh

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

That was most likely the Leeds, as the new OP sequence featuring her docked there had premiered just two episodes earlier, and the odds are they wouldn't re-label the model like that.

Re: The Prometheus, I'm of the belief that the script *intended* for the ship to be some generic Federation Starship, with the intent of it being an Oberth or Miranda or something else. When the time came for the model to be chosen, for whatever reason someone ended up choosing the Nebbie model. Were it almost any other model *but* the Nebula or any ship at one point named Enterprise, it would have made a hell of a lot more sense.

Re: The Odyssey, yes its bridge set was a re-use of this one, itself just a chunk of the TOS Movie Enterprise bridge from ST 5-7. The reason they didn't use the Generations bridge was that it was being used / abused for the movie, and to reassemble it or restore it afterwards would have been far too prohibitive. It fits far better anyway if the Odyssey bridge we saw was that ship's battle bridge, which I like to believe in spite of seeing the dedication plaque at the back of the set.

Mark

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, thanks for the info about the Prometheus, guys. There's another ship registry I can add to my canon shiplist!

Re: The Odyssey's dedication plaque: Has anyone seen this? And if so, did it have the ship's registry number on it? Or did the model itself have a registry different from NCC-1701-D?

quote:
That, and a CO with a rank higher than Lieutenant (jg.) Piersall!
That would probably explain why the ship was destroyed so soon for Starfleet to make a replacement in the Prometheus class Prometheus. I mean, come on, a junior grade lieutenant in command of a Nebula class starship??? They could have just used stock footage of the Oberth in "Emissary," and it would have made a lot more sense. Or even better, they could have used the U.S.S. Nash [Big Grin]

[ July 02, 2002, 14:52: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The model indeed had been labeled as USS Odyssey NCC-71832. I remember this because there was a backstage scene that was made for a PBS special that discussed the science of Star Trek. That footage was of a team moving the model around and a really good view of the saucer top was given which clearly showed the name and registry number.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the captain of "Prometheus" was asleep. After all, nearly every single exciting and interesting event in the Star Trek universe conveniently occurs during the day. Perhaps Lieutenant (j.g.) Piersall (sp?), the nightshift command duty officer, sensing something exciting might actually occur during his shift, shut off all communications and alarms in the captain's quarters, so he could stay in command. Of course, I do not remember the episode very well, so there could very well be time references that would render my attempt to be rye and witty futile.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

There are not. The SOLE reason that no Captain was aboard was that if there were, the last act of the show would have been completely useless, since the Captain (as ranking officer) would have had all the lines instead of Sisko.But since Piersall was only a dot-and-a-half nobody, Both Sisko and Dax could step in and attempt all the rescuing while making the regular crew look totally incompetant:

Seyetik: Ever read "The Fall of Kang"?
Sisko: It's required reading at the Academy.

[later]

Seyetik: Blah blah blah [quoting "The Fall of Kang"] blah blah...
Piersall: What's he talking about?
Sisko: Klingon poetry.

Mark

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Re: The Prometheus, I'm of the belief that the script *intended* for the ship to be some generic Federation Starship, with the intent of it being an Oberth or Miranda or something else."

The script says "The only ship in port is the PROMETHEUS, a Federation science vessel, not in any way noteworthy or obtrusive.".

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"The only ship in port is the PROMETHEUS, a Federation science vessel, not in any way noteworthy or obtrusive."
Well, that description sounds like it would have fit an Oberth way better than a Nebula.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
agreed.. it wouldve fit the cramped sets they used too.. i believe the utilitarian corridors and doorways they used for the Prometheus were the generic ones that were built and continually redressed that season, such as for the Prom. and also the crashed Santa Maria, before the pieces were refurbished to become the Defiant corridors
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to Piersall; maybe the commanding officer or the staff were on holiday for the weekend. Of course the ship was scheduled for whatever was the reason they docked at DS9. Lateron, they would have picked them up and continued the mission. But somehow Seyetik wanted to finish his experiment real fast, and they left without picking them up first.

OK, even if it would have been an Oberth, a Lieutenant in command would have made no sense. I would have been nice if they had brought back the Sutherland and Commander Hobson from 'Redemption'. Or they could have introduced the mysterious 'Captain Shelby'. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually, if Oberths have a crew of less than fifty, a lieutenant would make perfect sense. In the navy, many many ships are commanded by officers with ranks less than captain. If a captain is the rank necessary to command a ship with 1,000+ people aboard, why would you need a officer of that stature to command a crew of 37 or so? Many subs are commanded by lieutenant commanders and commanders and vessels smaller than that would be perfectly suited for a lieutenant to head up. I realize that some Oberths and other small vessels have definitely had commanders of captain rank, but it seems just as likely some would not.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps