Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Centaur Schematics (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Centaur Schematics
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that is possible to get around.. most of the other CGI schematics we've seen use the camera lens adjusted to NOT show perspective (Nova, Prometheus). Its a camera feature that is easily adjustable in modeling software I use. For whatever reason though, they chose not to.
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Akira62497:
ok im lost have i made a mistake? the nacells are to bowwom peices trust me look at the model i studdied it for ever. If i have made mistakes please let me know so i can correct them.

Sorry, it has nothing to do with your schematic, but as soon as you draw a sideview (this is what I do at the moment), you'll encounter the problem.

Here's a quick comparison:
large vs. small

The ship with the large nacelles has a perspective (like all of the images of this hip I found on the net, including the .gif I used here, the DS9TM-drawing and other schematics), and this is what I wanted to do, too. Below you have another Centaur, this time the nacelles and saucer are scaled 1:1, without any perspective.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By my calculations the CG side view shows the nacelles and saucer 1:1 (no perspective). I'm concerned though that in reality perspective is being employed, since it seems to be in all the other views, meaning that Mojo and co. got their dimensions wrong.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Compared to the topview maybe, but you have to take into concideration that the nacelles are completely redone, meaning you cannot compare the original model with the CGI. Otherwise you're probably right though. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the nacelles should be the same length as the Excelsior's.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i do the side view the trusters will be the same perspective as the saucer

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have the side view done except for the miranda roll bar that cant find anywere i need it by 612x265 i have tried drawing it but cant get it to look right [Frown]

here is the pic so far if someone can find me the rollbar ill finnish it
http://240sxs14.nissanpower.com/Centaur/nbgnbtwindowg.gif

[ September 04, 2002, 08:00: Message edited by: Akira62497 ]

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
meanwhile, im plugging away at the cutaway.

-
Excelsior scaling puts two decks in the one-deck Miranda bridge, the shuttlebay works and the ship comes out to 12 decks, 11 in the saucer

comments?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fascinating, Mike! I never liked Bernd's original suggestion that the ship be scaled to fit the Miranda bridge and rollbar. But it looks like the double-deck hemisphere idea actually works.

My only question is whether the shuttlebay "doors" are actually big enough. From what I can tell, a shuttle would actually have to take off at a 45� angle in order to get through those doors! Not impossible, of course, but contrary to all the other straight-out configurations we've seen.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Akira, the gangway hatch should actually be either at the upper half or lower half of the rim. The rim is two decks thick, not one.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Akira: Good start. But you need to thicken up some of the detail lines around the bridge module and adjust the perspective on the saucer windows. You may also want to retrace some of the other lines in the saucer...they're looking kind of blurry. Other than that, it's looking good.
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
Hey Akira, the gangway hatch should actually be either at the upper half or lower half of the rim. The rim is two decks thick, not one.

I didn't think the Excelsior had the gangway hatch at all. And it is centrally located on the Connie-refit.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Akira and I had been discussing his works in progress outside of Flare and I suggested to him that he should add a gangway hatch or an airlock for access to the ship other than from the shuttlebay and transporters. He is taking some creative liberties here, but is mainly basing his work off the kitbashed plastic model.

And it makes better sense for the hatch to be at a deck level and not between decks when the saucer rim is two decks thick.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great graphic-in-progress! I'm really liking this. Looks like the Centaur/Baracus is shaping to be the most fan-obsessed ship since the Prometheus!

Methinks I'm going to design the bridge module for the ship. Perhaps two versions - one for the variant (?) with the Miranda bulge, and one for the CGI version...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

capped
Member # 709

my aim is to do a website illustrating the differences between the war-era centaur and its postwar refit, which would be the CGI.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps