Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Centaur Schematics (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Centaur Schematics
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is nothing wrong with including the CG model into the picture, but liking or not liking it has nothing to do with anything. Seeing the model as realistic or unrealistic has nothing to do with anything likewise, otherwise we could throw out warp drive and transporters along with the Centaur. Being indebted to anyone has nothing to do with anything either, because that's subjective.

The show is the primary source. The model photo is a secondary source. The CG model is a less valid secondary source that has to be included into the picture defined by the first two. Given that the proportions on the CG model are different from those on the Centaur, the CG model is either a different ship, a major refit, or simply an inaccurate drawing.

As far as the Baracus-class name is concerned -- it's not even official, so I'd prefer we don't call it that. Right now, we don't even know if the ship has a class, so the most we can call it is "Centaur" or "U.S.S. Centaur", which is shorter than "Baracus-class." Creativity doesn't belong here -- we already have a forum for it.

Boris

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I told Mike, I wasn't debating the veracity of the models. I was stating my personal opinions about them. So what are you saying, that you don't want us to state our opinions about things unless it has to do with canon Star trek facts, because it has "nothing to do with anything" otherwise? Tough shit, buddy. I'll think what I want to think, & say what I want to say. And if I want to call the ship Baracus class, I'll do that too. Not that I would. Because I hate that name. But you get the point.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm merely saying that liking or not liking something, seeing something as realistic or unrealistic must not influence the analysis. There's a difference between saying "I like this model" and "I like this model, and because I like that model, I'll include it" (and true, you never said this, and I never said you did.)

I think it's OK criticize the latter stance, because it has direct bearing on the results of the discussion.

Boris

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta admit I did like that gold tint, it looked kinda cool.
Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://240sxs14.nissanpower.com/Centaur/Centaurside.gif my side view of the centaur

Directory http://240sxs14.nissanpower.com/Centaur/

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are pretty nice drawings. Will you also try to make a set that includes all the little greeblies and such of the model?

To those criticizing the "look" of the shooting model, I'd like to remind them that we've only ever seen two photographs of the model, which were obviously taken under less-than-ideal lighting conditions---probably just by some VFX staff member who happened to have a handheld camera. It's not like it was a professional job. We HAVE seen the model under shooting conditions and lighting. IN THE EPISODE. And I haven't heard much criticism of the "look" of the Centaur in the episode...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've got a point.. Obviously, the model had been color-corrected in post to reflect the usual Starfleet grey scheme of the time. This should be taken into account.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sure ill make an addition to the centaur to reflect the model a little more

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

Silent-Bob
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
could you please make a smaller side view, so that it's in scale with your top and bottom views? i can't wait till you can do the front and back views
IP: Logged
Akira
Member # 850

yeah sure not a problem

working on the cutaway sort of like what mike is doing but more like gilso's designs

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

Akira
Member # 850

http://240sxs14.nissanpower.com/Centaur/cutaway.gif the cutaway i made (used some of gilso's stuff)
Directory http://240sxs14.nissanpower.com/Centaur/

if someone thinks it needs to be better please let me know any comments are welcome.

Deck1 Bridge
Deck2 shuttle storage, cargo hatch
Deck3 Cargobay shuttlebay
4-7 Crew Courters
8-9 Stellar C.,Crew Courters
10-11 Transporters, Crew Courters
11-13 Computer Core
14 sensors, matter injectors
btw here is the smaller version [Smile] (not as good quality) http://240sxs14.nissanpower.com/Centaur/Centaurside2.gif

[ September 07, 2002, 01:05: Message edited by: Akira62497 ]

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's w/ all those decks in the saucer that are about a meter high?
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Akira62497: I think I mentioned it before but the rollbar should be a little further back.

For what it's worth, I'd say a std Excelsior saucer would be 10 decks tall. 7 decks down to and including the rim, and then 3 decks below. If we assume the Centaur's Miranda-like bridge piece is 2 decks, then the entire saucer is 11 decks tall. I'd personally say that the Centaur bridge is two decks in height but is only actually counted as 1 deck (as with the Galaxy-class).

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Akira
Member # 850

http://240sxs14.nissanpower.com/Centaur/centaur-top[1].jpg this is why i made so many decks on top of the saucer
http://240sxs14.nissanpower.com/Centaur/

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

Akira
Member # 850

Would you all perfer this over the other one? http://240sxs14.nissanpower.com/cgi-bin/i/Centaur/cutaway2.gif
http://240sxs14.nissanpower.com/cgi-bin/i/Centaur/

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps