Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » What if? Borg - Ent. E stuff (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: What if? Borg - Ent. E stuff
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
threshold certainly never never never counts.
IP: Logged
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the fact remains that there is nothing disproving that the Galaxys took 20 years to plan (not build, huh?).. and that their spaceframes are rated to last 100 years.

the facts, devised by those who designed most of the TNG tech, are perfectly consistent with onscreen canon.

besides if theres another Trek that takes place in the future of the TNG era, you can probably bet the Galaxy models and mesh will be reused for a long time, just like the Excelsior and Oberth and Miranda have seen 80+ years of service. [Razz]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:

I for one would like to see a plot where technology utterly fails our heroes, and where the enemy triumphs because of it. Space is big, there's room for setbacks there. Losing isn't the end of everything. As far as we aren't speaking of the Borg.

"Q Who" maybe?
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

Liam, did you miss the "As far as we aren't speaking of the Borg"?
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we stick with the assumption that the Wolf 359 ships are predecessors to the Galaxy-class, even 20 years including design time seems a bit long for the USS Galaxy to be completed. The Nebula-class in particular was already very similar to the final product of the Galaxy-class. Although I suppose we can include the Wolf 359 designs as a component/portion of the Galaxy-class design time.

As for the 100 year thing, in "All Good Things" why did the future Riker mention that he had to fight for the Ent-D not to be decommissioned? The ship wouldn't have been more than 30 or so years old -- not even close to the supposed 100.

And although we see still see plenty of Mirandas and Excelsiors flying about, they have relatively high registrations (usually 3xxxx and 4xxxx) indicating that they're not particularly old builds.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EdipisReks:
Liam, did you miss the "As far as we aren't speaking of the Borg"?

I believe he meant "Losing isn't everything" except when the Borg are concerned, rather than "I would like this to happen", except where the Borg are concerned.

I am willing to be corrected though. Finnish boy?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

i think you're right, Liam. i'm just so used to correcting you that it has become a habit [Wink] .
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Dax:

As for the 100 year thing, in "All Good Things" why did the future Riker mention that he had to fight for the Ent-D not to be decommissioned? The ship wouldn't have been more than 30 or so years old -- not even close to the supposed 100.

There's also the fact that even within the context of the episode the Enterprise-D was still pretty much hardcore. With the refit Connie we have little real idea of how well it performed against other Empire's ships, seeing as it twice went up against a Klingon BOP and twice ended up losing (sort of). The refit Enterprise-D though managed to tear through two brand new Klingon ships without breaking a sweat, and also had a cloak and the ability to go "really fast".

I take Riker's line to mean that perhaps the ship was really badly damaged at some point in the future-past-that-no-longer-exists, and Starfleet decided to decomission it rather than repair it. Super Billy Riker overturned that due to his powers of beard, or something.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dax:

who knows what kind of damage the thing had taken? afterall, it's career put it into danger the whole time. a 100 year theoretical lifetime does no good if the frame is all cracked and sucky.
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose the future D's potential decommissioning could of been because of severe battle damage (I'll admit it's a good explanation), but I was under the impression that the ship was going to be retired mainly due to age, with damage being a secondary reason (same as with the Ent-A?). Instead, Riker ordered the kick-ass refit which included the mega-phaser, third nacelle, and many other enhancements to bring the ship up to date/spec. We're looking at a major refit -- not the same magnitude as TMP refit but bigger than anything else we have ever seen or know of (IIRC).

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the TMP refit was more extensive that just pasting on a new cannon and greeblies.. they re-skinned the ship, and then hollowed it out and refilled it for good measure.
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

my opinion is that they built a new ship, left one bolt hole unfilled and then used a bolt from the original Enterprise. they then said "whoops, refit".
capped
Member # 709

i'm willing to pretend its the same spaceframe anyway. just a lot of new stuff. perhaps we've never seen it, but the bulk of the crew quarters retained their TOS appearance. that would be a creepy thing to find walking through a doorway.

'They replace all the hull plating and give Admiral Kirk some fancy wood plated cabinets and a *whoosh* transparent door, but i'm stuck in the quarters where they never even replaced the vent switch some ensign broke 20 years ago. there's a food tray duct taped over it, with a note about bloodsucking gas clouds. and what's with this orange carpeting with the gold inlay?! and the blue and red chainlink grating?'

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

nm
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

i hoped they remembered to remove the bloodsucking gas clouds during the refit.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps