Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » What if? Borg - Ent. E stuff (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: What if? Borg - Ent. E stuff
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by O Captain Mike Captain:
the TMP refit was more extensive that just pasting on a new cannon and greeblies.

I already said TMP refit was more extensive but, contrary to what the DS9TM suggests, you can't just paste on a third nacelle and expect it to work. The future D almost certainly had a new warp core and other internal mods.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

' and what's with this orange carpeting with the gold inlay?! and the blue and red chainlink grating?'

It's still roughly 6 billion times better than the TMP colour-scheme.

"Colours? We don't need no stinking colours. We have PASTELS now! Take that!"

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

78stonewobble
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
However, I don't think that the Sovereign Class was supposed to be a replacement for the Galaxy, per se -- but rather a supplement in certain areas. Though the Enterprise-D was able to hold its own in most of the battles it fought, it seems that there were a few vulnerabilities in the design for combat missions. Maybe Starfleet commissioned a new "battlecruiser" class... originally in anticipation of a second Borg invasion, but there weren't enough ships built by DS9 to be in widespread service in the Dominion War battles (that we saw).

As for the "patrolling the Neutral Zone" problem... well... Admiral Hayes ordering the -E to stay at the NZ demonstrates the kind of tactical genius that explains why his ship was destroyed in Earth orbit... [Wink]

First of all Ill have to excuse my Trek newbie'ness (and offcourse my english). With that said Ill have to partly agree with minutia man regarding the role of the Sovereign class.

I don't think Star Fleet would be risking a Galaxy class or even a Nebula class ship in battle. I say this on the basis of their size (and probably associated cost) and the fact that they werent really designed as combat wessels (room for a 1000 civilians on a galaxy?).

So in my interpretation of the Sovereign in the big star fleet scheme of things is:

An explorer stripped of civilian necessities.

An updated explorer regarding "speed" powergeneration and weaponry.

A cheaper and more expendable design compaired to the multipurpose do it all expensive top of the line galaxy.

But I really dont think that the term explorer works for the Sovereign class. I do think the term battlecruiser is more fitting.

The pre dominion / borg starfleet perhaps planned on the galaxy / nebula explorers playing a part in the rare crisis'es needing heavy firepower.

Now they instead plan on the Sovereign providing the heavy firepower in these situations. Letting the expensive explorers ... uhm ... explore...

Anyway just my 5 �re on the subject... [Smile]

PS: m-man as u can see I can now post... No more email "spamming" you [Razz]

IP: Logged
Warbadden Hawkins
Member # 905

- posted      Profile for Warbadden Hawkins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 78stonewobble:

I don't think Star Fleet would be risking a Galaxy class or even a Nebula class ship in battle. I say this on the basis of their size (and probably associated cost) and the fact that they werent really designed as combat wessels (room for a 1000 civilians on a galaxy?).

An explorer stripped of civilian necessities.

An updated explorer regarding "speed" powergeneration and weaponry.

mmm... well i think theres a really good funny there "wessels"... Chekov

well to my recolection the galaxy only had a populus of 1024 crew + civilians.

As seen in "insurrection" there are civilians onboard the E-E although i will give it to you that there are probable a quite smaller amount than on the E-D.

Considering that speed means nothing...(warp 5 speed limit) is it just me or is WARP 5 WAY TO SLOW

--------------------
Captain Hawkins
USS Delphronta

BTW [,.??,;,"",' the, it, outran.]

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i didnt understand anything either of you said.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the warp speed limit had been dropped after development of the Defiant and Intrepid classes. Those classes had improved warp drives and older ships had probably been refitted with similarly improved warp drives.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dax:

And although we see still see plenty of Mirandas and Excelsiors flying about, they have relatively high registrations (usually 3xxxx and 4xxxx) indicating that they're not particularly old builds.

Well maybe they are 'new' ships but old space frames? When DOES the registry get assigned.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dax:
I suppose the future D's potential decommissioning could of been because of severe battle damage (I'll admit it's a good explanation), but I was under the impression that the ship was going to be retired mainly due to age, with damage being a secondary reason (same as with the Ent-A?). Instead, Riker ordered the kick-ass refit which included the mega-phaser, third nacelle, and many other enhancements to bring the ship up to date/spec. We're looking at a major refit -- not the same magnitude as TMP refit but bigger than anything else we have ever seen or know of (IIRC).

I would say that the ship was REFIT/UPGRADED to MATCH the ships of the time. Not that it was some mega-starship. And the Klingon ships it encountered may have been the normal Klingon ship for the time. Or altered 20 year old Negh'vars.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
i'm willing to pretend its the same spaceframe anyway. just a lot of new stuff. perhaps we've never seen it, but the bulk of the crew quarters retained their TOS appearance. that would be a creepy thing to find walking through a doorway.

'They replace all the hull plating and give Admiral Kirk some fancy wood plated cabinets and a *whoosh* transparent door, but i'm stuck in the quarters where they never even replaced the vent switch some ensign broke 20 years ago. there's a food tray duct taped over it, with a note about bloodsucking gas clouds. and what's with this orange carpeting with the gold inlay?! and the blue and red chainlink grating?'

LOL! That would be freaky! heheh you step in, and there is the mood lighting. A woman enters and this music starts! [Smile]

You accidently hit a panel and for some reason a Tantalus Screen appears! [Smile]

--------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Well maybe they are 'new' ships but old space frames? When DOES the registry get assigned.

Huh, what are you saying? I doubt Starfleet would refurbish previously mothballed ships and send them out as something 'new'. Even if they did, why wouldn't the ships retain their old registry number?

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
I would say that the ship was REFIT/UPGRADED to MATCH the ships of the time. Not that it was some mega-starship. And the Klingon ships it encountered may have been the normal Klingon ship for the time. Or altered 20 year old Negh'vars.

Agreed.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it still took them out pissingly easy. Two altered twenty year old Negh'Vars going up against one altered 30 year old Galaxy class, you'd think that the battle wouldn't be so one-sided. Especially considering that Picard would usually panic about going up against two Galor class ships and similar. In any case, the refit Enterprise-D clearly outclassed two Klingon ships that were almost certainly newer than itself.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

True. I suppose the future D's success against the Klingon ships would partly be due to the unusual surprise approach but mostly the mega-phaser.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps