Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Other NX- ships (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Other NX- ships
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The S.S. Santa Maria had a BDR registery.
Perhaps the "N" regiteries are only for vessles attached to the federation government and institutions.
Or perhaps the owners of that ship were big Blues Brothers fans. [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
An official Romulan abbreviation showed up in late-DS9 okudagrams, but I don't recall what it was
That was PWB.

The Klingon Toron-class shuttle had NCD-31775.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
2.) Number of times the word naval has been used to describe anything in Star Trek, much less Starfleet proper: 0.

Not so... When Worf was explaining the need to assign a captain the same accomodations as an admiral he said ... ahem... "It is naval tradition."

I believe there have been a couple of other similar instances of that kind of correlation as well... oh, and there's the fact that the entire rank structure is based on the Naval structure.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My takes:
NCC=Newbuild Construction Contract

NX=Newbuild Experimental

NXP=Newbuild Experimental Prototype

USS=United Starfleet Ship

It seems the best to me.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Klingon Toron-class shuttle had NCD-31775.
That's a new one on me, where did that show up?

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From that picture:
http://members.fortunecity.de/neutralzone/KlingonToron-ClassShuttlecraft05.htm

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YLT = Yridian Light Transport

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
From that picture:
http://members.fortunecity.de/neutralzone/KlingonToron-ClassShuttlecraft05.htm

I don't think that's the Klingon shuttle.
While they did reuse that basic design for several different ships, that doesn't look like the exact configuration of the Turon-Class.
Looking at the Turon Class schematics, it doesn't have the same large P/S engines and it dosen't appear to be quite as long.
I think it's actually the Iyaaran shuttle from (TNG" Liaisons").

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed with the above - that's the Iyaaran shuttle. Still not a Federation member race, but perhaps they bought their shuttle from a UFP vendor?

The Yridians don't appear to be a member race, either. In the Charts, they were simply dropped in an empty spot somewhere in between Klingon, Cardassian and Romulan space, to retain full liberty in positioning the Carraya camp somewhere within Yridian intelligence reach. There are plenty of other non-members scattered around the blue-background areas - one can assume they are either surrounded by small bubbles of independent space, or located above or below UFP territory.

As for the deeper meaning of NCC, here's hoping it will remain a mystery forever. So far, there hasn't been anything in ENT to explicitly contradict the idea that she's NX class and other ships in the fleet are of AF or H or GGD classes... I personally hope this idea will be reinforced later on.

Timo Saloniemi

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the happy parallel between Matt Jeffries' 'NCC' prefix and the 'CC' prefix of the U.S. Navy's cruisers. After all, Gene did maintain that the Star Ships were Starfleet's heavy cruisers. It's a nice fit.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeffries wanted NC and added another C. (I thought the US prefix was NC?) And that as it so happened the Soviet prefix was CCC. So it was a nice combining of the two.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NC was written on his plane, as I recall.
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Have we seen any Federation ship that didn't have USS?

What about the Raven from Voyager? The dedication plaque read "The Raven" and had an NAR registry. Then, it suddenly was addressed as U.S.S. Raven. I don't know if NCC was ever applied, though.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The S.S. Beagle was a vessel in the Federation merchant service. I'm sure there have been others, though none are springing to mind.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Artemis, the Beagle, the Odin, the Raven, the T'Pau, the Valiant, the Vico... Many more that are conjectural...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps