Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Other NX- ships (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Other NX- ships
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
silly question.. every single Federation ship that wasnt part of Starfleet lacked a U.S.S. prefix to its name.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not a silly question. Why would a 'U' - presumably "United" denote Starfleet status? Hmm? The S.S.'s aren't "United". [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
S.S. was short for steam ship. Steam ships were in use from the early 1800's to the mid-1900's. One of the more famous of these steam ships was the S.S. Great Eastern which laid the Atlantic telegraph cable in 1865.

There was no evidence in Star Trek that every ship with Federation registry and not of Starfleet had a S.S. prefix. This prefix may be used only for a specific agency or consortium. My conjectural opinion was the S.S. may be short for space ship.

We have another prefix which was only used once in Star Trek. In "The Corbomite Maneuver", I heard the prefix "United Earth Ship Enterprise", or U.E.S. Enterprise. A very minor continuity error.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since U.S.S. stands for United Space Ship, as per "The Cage," I say S.S. simply stands for Space Ship, and that's why I use it as a placeholder prefix for ships with unknown prefixes in my Federation and Pre-Federation shiplists.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is it so hard to accept that some ships just might NOT have prefixes? i think assigning an arbitrary designation to ships that canonically should have none is a disservice to the research-oriented theme of your list.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello? The T'Pau? I already mentioned one that -- according to the only information available -- has no prefix.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Controversial but... Raging Queen?

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Well, since U.S.S. stands for United Space Ship, as per "The Cage," I say S.S. simply stands for Space Ship, and that's why I use it as a placeholder prefix for ships with unknown prefixes in my Federation and Pre-Federation shiplists.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

The Cage also has a hemlsman who indicated the speed the ship had reached by the professional method of holding up his fingers. And Spock shouting "THE WOMEN!" I think it's safe to ignore bits of it.

And anyway, Kirk called it the "United Star Ship Enterprise" on at least two occasions, and since he's more "recent" it makes more sense to take that as the meaning.

Although a thought strikes me. The usual "open hailing frequencies" greeting goes something like:

"This is Captain James T Kirk of the USS Enterprise"
"This is Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the Federation Starship Enterprise."

Did anyone ever say:

"This is Captain Poopoo Blahface of the Federation Starship USS Enterprise"?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I'm sure they have at least once.

--------------------

Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are the "Starship U.S.S. Enterprise - United Federation of Planets" hull pennants on the 1701-A and later ships, which would somewhat count. In retrospect, if U.S.S. does mean United (FoP) Star Ship, those signs are pretty redundant...
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Cage also has a hemlsman who indicated the speed the ship had reached by the professional method of holding up his fingers
Well, he had too. Otherwise, the background music would have drowned him out...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps