Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Favorite starship appearance (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Favorite starship appearance
RAMA
Member # 380

- posted      Profile for RAMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
..When some unknown ship whisked out of the depths of space, and ramscooped its way into your memories. Remember when we didn't know a starship was going to be on an episode until it actually aired? Yes, those are the heady days I am talking about.

For me, I recalled seeing the Excelsior in STIII at the movie theater as a young lad. It was gigantic and sleek, and had shiny, blinky doodads on its control surfaces, with a female helmsman with equally blinky doodads..well these were the days when we saw one new starship every 3 years if we were lucky.

RAMA the ancient

--------------------
Ashes to ashes, funk to funky, we know Major Tom's a junky. Strung out in heaven's high, hitting an all-time low.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Defiant first fires her pulse shasers and anhiliates a Jem Hadar bug for the first time in "The Search". I fell in love with that little ship right then.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was also during the time between series, so we hung on every movie, wondering if and when the next would appear....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will not ever forget the first appearance of the Reliant. It was the first time we were presented with even the concept of 'other class' ships, beyond the Constitution (or Enterprise/Starship Class as it was in the old days known).

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember my jaw dropped when the Prometheus split in three for the first time!

I was also impressed the first time they showed the Bozeman exit the rift for the first time with the light flooding out ahead of it!

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Cage" the Enterprise hovers into view and we fly into the bridge dome.

Likes there's any other ship...

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paint me weird, but I got the biggest kicks out of seeing the convoy of gigantic Klingon freighters in "Sons and Daughters", preparing to get underway, and the tiny BoP swooping in with the grandiose agenda of "protecting" these monsters...

...And before that, out of the first appearance of the Cardassian version, the Groumall, in "Return to Grace". The camera just loved the vessel - they even invented the beautiful "top view of DS9 with ship flying above" shot for the Groumall.

Still, the Klingon jolly green giants were an order of magnitude cooler. I like my freighters big. And ugly. And green, when applicable.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm - this is tricky - trying to think about when you enjoyed the first time you saw a particular starship.

OK, clear moment - it was before the net (for me) and we all knew it was coming and it took 2 and a bit years... and then the awesome blurry credits ended - and the veil of nebulous gas moved aside and there was the Enterprise-E!! (Wish they lingered on it a bit longer).

That is a main complaint with CGI nowadays - especially in the movies - the editing is WAY TOO FAST - you can't fix your eye on any one starship for too long. Even on Voyager and late DS9 (yes the movies is what I'm mainly talking about - well FC -->) It's as if they cut it up your eye can't follow and focus to much and thus you can't tell it's CGI - which I think is CRIMINAL considering now CGI can look like physical models (if enough work is done on them).

Reading through that Communicator edition with the making of the Excelsior and Bill George? It was interesting to note how he mentioned how Trek wanted him to make his shots long... beautiful shots that depicted these slowly moving beheomths!

He was used to Star Wars where Lucas ordered him to get as much 'stuff' going on in 40 frames as possible (like 1 second).

That's why Trek effects were so magnificent in II and III.

They need to return to this - hopefully they do for Nemesis - that crash scene from the preview looks like a nice long shot.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given they didn't exactly go out of their way to let anybody see the Sovereign-class Enterprise design prior to the release of ST:FC, the actual first appearance of the ship was really rather low-key. Just floating in space with a nebula in the background. So we were like, "Okay. . ." Then it went to warp and I thought "Woah! 0 to 60,000,000 in no time at all!" Then, finally, you had the end of the build-up as teh Definat redshurt (He = SuXXor! Ti shood have been Dxa!) said "There's another ship coming in - it's the Enterprise!" 8)

Mind you, nobody's mentioned the first view of the refit E-nil, either. As someone said, there is no other ship. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The future Enterprise-D's first appearance in "All Good Things...". Decloaking and flying perpendicular to the Pasteur and those Klingon ships - hot damn! And then firing the BFG and tearing apart the Klingon before flying through the explosion - hotter damn!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad that ship looks so silly standing still.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

In FC when a tiny Sabre class hauls ass past on the viewscreen I was shocked into saying "What the HELL was that?!
I like the Akira dipping down into frame and puking out seven or eight torpedos in FC alot, too!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Mind you, nobody's mentioned the first view of the refit E-nil, either. As someone said, there is no other ship. . .

Well considering I was too young when TMP came out. [Smile] The E-refit is my fave ship though.

I think someone around here DID post a rather inspirational description of their first sight of the E-refit. Mentioned how fans cheered!! When they first saw it!

Maybe I read that in a magazine like The Star Trek magazine?? I'm sure it was here though.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Akira-Class in First Contact. When it lauched a few torpeedos from its weapons pod over the Enterprise-E i was in love.

Also, in "Message in a Bottle" (VOY), when it comes to do the work the Nebula-Class (my old favorite ship) couldnt, it was perfect.

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was the Akira class(and the other FC ships) for me too. When I first saw a clip of the battle I saw all these dark and unfamiliar ships with strange configurations. The Akira was the most obvious of course. I thought "what the hell was that?!" I think I was disapointed that they seemed so different from all the other ships we'd seen in the past and that it looked so dark and grim, but I was incredibly excited at the same time. [Smile]

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps