Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Favorite starship appearance (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Favorite starship appearance
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in the same boat as Jason when the Defiant first open up her can of whoopass pulse phasers on the Jem'Hadar. I was expecting some torps and was curious as to where the phasers would come from... then... phoom, phoof, phoof, phoof....

That was very sweet.

I also remember being completely floored by the FC ships. "What!?! 4 new ships!! At once!!! oh... my... goodness...." I remember I went home and tried to sketch them out from memory.

I'm too young to remember anything before TNG. I don't think I even saw movies 1,2 or 3 in the theaters. I think 4 was the first one I saw on the big screen.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The E-nil; I can't remember the first time I saw it but really every time it just look so... Enterprisy [Smile] . That is THE ship. I can remember seeing the refit for the first time in TMP though, even on TV that looked good. I mean, yeah the movie did drag a bit but that first shot of the Enterprise in dock must have looked amazing in the cinema.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first ship I fell in love with was the Enterprise-D when I saw the third season.

And then I saw the 5 minute TMP view of the Enterprise after refit...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"What!?! 4 new ships!! At once!!! oh... my... goodness...."
Sorry, I refuse to believe anyone managed to identify there were exactly 4 new classes on first viewing. Why, even a year later Utopia Planitia still had it at nearly six (although two of them were obviously duplicates). And what everyone thought was the Norway was the Akira from another angle. No retconning of nostalgia allowed, Alan! 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I counted four new designs watching the battle for the first time. It's not impossible.

I surprised the hell out of a friend of mine when we watched Generations for the first time and I caught the split second shot that the registry (the whole frame) was reversed during the crash of the saucer. He didn't think I could catch something that happened so quickly, so it wasn't until the movie was out on video that we could freeze-frame that spot and confirmed i saw it reversed....gotta be quick!

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was? I have to look that one up immediately... Hey wait, impossible, I'm at work at the moment... [Wink]

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it was a long time ago. Let me put it this way... I know I counted at least four designs. And I was very excited.

The Akira I definitely got. Same with the Steamrunner because I remember trying to figure out how the underslung pod had been attached.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the Steamrunner totally confused me when I first saw it. I remember seeing the shot of it from the front and underside firing its phasers while moving downwards. For some reason it looked like a Constitution refit to me. Even though I knew they wouldn't still be using them and it didn't look right, I couldn't work out any other posibility. Makes me feel like an idiot now. [Big Grin]

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found out later, the reason the Generation saucer was reversed for one shot, is that they dragged the model directly into a mirror and filmed the mirror instead of the ship. That way they could film the saucer getting insanely close without risking damage to the camera. They must've forgotten to 'flop' the frame back so the registry was right.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to recall there being problems with Steamrunners looking like Constitutions fairly often over the course of DS9, which always surprised me, because you wouldn't think they'd look anything alike.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to be anti-Simon and go with the obvious. The Refit-Enterprise in TMP. Yeah, it dragged, and had far too many SFX. But there's a world of difference between watching a purple cloud for 4 hours, and watching...that ship. It's perfect. Perfectly balanced, designed, everything.

And for an honourable second, the Defiant. First thought "Cool, it can cloak!". Second thought "Cool, it has actual running lights!". Third thought "What the fucking hell were those phasers?!"

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I've seen where the problem lies - it's in the front view. Small shots of the Steamrunner in the background from the front do look like the Constitution - flat-looking saucer, large deflector dish below, struts coming up from that at roughly right-angles to each other (and at their ends, what appears to be nacelles, even though they're just the Bussards on the sides of the saucer). . . it's uncanny.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes the main culprit Steam/Con confusion was originally in CTA.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no clear memory of seeing the refit-E in the theater (I was only five...), but I've seen it on big-screen TVs enough to know my heart lurches every time I see her...

The Defiant had a wonderful debut, but something unfortunate happened... They changed the sound effect for the phasers, which crippled the way I view the ship...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've loved all the jemhadar ships, Defiants, Vorchas Brel's and a whole bunch of other vessels. But the first one that I ever saw that hit home was the Imperial Romulan Warbird.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps