Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nova??? $$$$ (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Nova??? $$$$
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we can't forget the Starfleet Scout Ship in Year 12 and the timeship Aeon in Year 10 if we're counting runabout-sized ships.

------------------
Garak: "I do apologize. You must be incensed. In fact, if I were in your shoes, I'd... grab a bottle of champagne and shoot me." (DS9: "Our Man Bashir")

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was alerted to the presence of this thread by TSN... I haven't read anything, as I am attempting unsuccessfully to remain spoiler-free...

Boris: An upcoming upgrade to the UBB includes HTML page splitting. When it's released, I'll investigate porting. I'd do it myself but actually creating a working page-split routine is virtually impossible with static HTML pages, I'd need to create a dynamic generation system which would quickly cause the server to fall over.

------------------
"Okay, so I'm not "SANE" so to speak, but uh... I'm the lovable kind of psycho"
http://solareclipse.net/

[This message was edited by Charles Capps on May 26, 1999.]

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it was the Olympic-class, not Nobel. Why they changed it from Hope, I don't know. . .
Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Opps, yes forgot the Olympic.

I'm not counting the Aeon or the Wells as they're more or less alien ships (if the past is another country then so is the future, right?).

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post 
No. While the past is another country, the future is just round the corner. 8)
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They decided to use the Olympic-class model after the Hope-class name was considered (which didn't have a model associated with it).

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"CORUSCANT...DOES NOT COMPUTE...I mean, uh, you're under arrest." - Anonymous battle droid

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er, MY Tech Manual says the Nova Class was only 20 years in the future, not a century.

Perhaps I read the wrong page.

------------------
You're just JEALOUS because the little voices talk to ME!

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was indeed 100 years, actually.

------------------
"CORUSCANT...DOES NOT COMPUTE...I mean, uh, you're under arrest." - Anonymous battle droid

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank: Erm... The model that served as the Pasteur in AGT had never been used onscreen before then. They could have called it anything they wanted...

------------------
"Although I'm so tired, I'll have another cigarette. And curse Sir Walter Raleigh; he was such a stupid git."
-the Beatles, "I'm So Tired"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

No, the model designer named it. I think this is from that black TNG book.

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, during lunch I popped out tpo Waldenbooks and grabbed a looksee at the page in the TNG manual where the "Nova" is discussed.

Seems we're both not quite right.

The DESIGN LIFETIME of the Galaxy Class ships is supposed to be 100 years. This, however, does not mean that the ship would not be supplanted within a much shorter frame of time (Just as the Constitution Class saw the development of the Excelsior before its design lifetime ended, and the Excelsior saw the development of the Ambassador AND Galaxy Classes.)

The page that mentioned 20 years said that in 20 years, the Galaxy Class starships would be only 1/5 of the way into their operational lifetimes, but that eventually they would be superceded, and that designers were already working on a class incorporating the newest technologies and assumed advancements.
(Of course, these assumed advances were likely made irrelevant due to the other advances coming as a result of the Borg and Dominion incursions.)

------------------
You're just JEALOUS because the little voices talk to ME!

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talking about the projected lifetime of a ship v. the time in which it will be supplanted are two non related issues.

The first (total lifespan) shows the period that the ship will be in service for, and can operate effectively.

The second (superscision)is just technological replacement. As your enemies get bigger stronger ships, so will you. Thus is a period of low hostility you'll replace/upgrade at a slower rate, whilst in a period of high hostility you will develop much faster. (As First stated).

So whilst the Galaxy will have a 100 year lifespan, it would not be a top of the line ship for that period. Not even close.

IDC is right (did I just say that? *L*), this vessel is in essence a space filler. So, if we are running on Chris's principle we'd have to go chasing after every shoddly designed and shown ship from TNG onwards. And there are a hell of a lot of those.

------------------
"I have only one purpose, the destruction of Hitler.....If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favourbale reference to the devil in the House of Commons".

-Winston Churchill

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I just got it on good authority that it was named the Nova class. Out of the frying pan...?

------------------
"I have only one purpose, the destruction of Hitler.....If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favourbale reference to the devil in the House of Commons".

-Winston Churchill

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

I can confirm the Nova-class name, as it was in the episode.

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

The Equinox was very small. I can do some definitive scaling later.

If it had a registry, it wasn't visible.

And it had an EMH! I mean, why didn't the Enterprise-D have one, then? Although I suppose maybe they did, but never needed it...

------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps