Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Wormhole in the Sol system? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Wormhole in the Sol system?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Age of Borg

I think the drone found on that planet in early VGR was quite old. Also, they were around when the Vaadwaur went to sleep, which was 700-800 years ago or something.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It also should be noted that as of 2063 the Borg were still only in the Delta Quadrant.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, according to Crusher. Also, the Vaadwauri guy noted they were a rather undeveloped mennace 700 to 800 years ago... so maybe they're only about 900 years old... at least... in the form we know them now. It would all depend on exactly what their origin is.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'm not sure why alien abducteers would bother to pick up bits of space junk and them dump them light years away in deep space."

Perhaps a Pakled ship saw it, so they grabbed it w/ their tractor beam. But, they forgot how to open the cargo bay doors, so they just towed it along behind them. Then someone pushed the wrong button ad the ship blew up. Either that, or they annoyed someone unfriendsly, who blew hem up.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
The Borg would have no reason to construct a transwarp conduit near Earth until the 24th century.

No but Janeway's time-meddling could have caused a AFFECT in TIME.

Might have been what caused the Enterprise to go back to 1966 in "Tomorrow is Yesterday"! - Yes they said a black-sun/black-hole but they might not have known what the anomaly was.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally, I am useful!

From my on-again off-again chronology project:

The Royale
BE 800 (1)
Fermat comes up with his famous last theorem.
CE 1648-1651

BE 332
A fifty-second state is added to the United States of America.
CE 2033

BE 328
The Charybdis is launched on Earth. Before it becomes the first manned mission to travel outside the solar system, it encounters an unknown alien lifeform, which apparently unintentionally kills nearly all the crew and transports the ship to the planet Theta 116 VIII.
July 23, CE 2037

BE 321
The Charybdis arrives at Theta 116 VIII. (2)
CE 2044

BE 283
Colonel Stephen Richey dies on Theta 116 VIII.
CE 2082

TNG 1+176 days
"The Royale"
Stardate 42625.4
CE 2365

1.) Fermat's Last Theorem is closer to 700 than 800 years old at this time.

2.) In his only diary entry, Colonel Richey says he has been at the Hotel Royale for 38 years. This was presumably written at or near the end of his life.

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are we sure ir was Earth orbit? Better survival chances (for the sattelite, not the corpsicles) in solar orbit - and more sunlight for the solar panels.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
BE 321
The Charybdis arrives at Theta 116 VIII. (2)
CE 2044

Ok, according to the mission report contact with the Charybdis was lost in 2038, one year into the mission (give or take).
That gives a travel time of 6 years, assuming it could have somehow reached 10% ls like the Botany Bay that gives us a maximum range of...0.4 light years. Considering that Alpha Centari is 4.3 light years away, I think it's safe to say that the Charybdis didn't arrive in Theta 116 under it's own power...which just happens to have been a "Block-D Fission Core" if that has any bearing on the subject.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Originally posted by Treknophyle:
Are we sure ir was Earth orbit? Better survival chances (for the sattelite, not the corpsicles) in solar orbit - and more sunlight for the solar panels.

Best not to get too close to the sun, otherwise you might get your circuits fried by some nasty gamma rays...or risk defrosting the cargo.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

RE: Charybdis
Correction, it's a "BLOCK D GAS-CORE FISSION REACTOR PROPULSION SYSTEM" whatever that is.

Contact was in fact lost some 6 months and 14 days into the flight.

quote:
DEPARTURE: 07-23-2037 LOST: 2-07-2038,
It's still not clear if the Alien encounter is responsible for the cut off or there was a malfunction and they simply chanced upon the aliens.

The mission report dose have one interesting reference to how fast it could go.

quote:
VEHICLE SYSTEMS AT TELEMETRY CUTOFF INDICATED THRUST ABNORMALITY; VEHICLE ATTAINED 12X SOLAR ESCAPE VELOCITY 2.56 HOURS EARLIER THAN PLANNED. ASSUMED VEHICLE LOST WITH CONSUMABLES RUNOUT, 20% POSSIBILITY OF CREW SURVIVAL WITH HIBERNATION SYSTEMS AT LOW USAGE MODE.
For those without a calculator handy;
12x Solar escape velocity = 12 * 620 km/s = 7440 km/s
Aren't I lucky that we (at the ASDB) discussed all this mathematical malarkey back when we were coming up with a design.

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm. I'm somewhat disappointed that the math *I* did (the challenging 10% times 270 years kind) didn't get fully implemented in the Star Charts. Sure, Gamma 400 and SB12 are placed at the distance I intended, and in the direction of Pollux as "Who Mourns" requires, AND the direction of Cetus on the assumption that Kirk didn't go very far off course when he marooned Khan at Ceti Alpha. I also intended to put the Mutara nebula and the Regula system in the immediate vicinity, even though the bit about "Space Seed" taking place in the Mutara sector isn't canon and even if such a sector might encompass a number of other locations as well.

But Mandel still put the Mutara Nebula near the real Alpha Ceti, instead of using a fictional "Mu Ceti A" or somesuch next to SB12. An unfortunate communications failure, and a good lesson on the need for beta-checks...

The Charybdis' original mission didn't seem all that ambitious - a few hundred AUs out, hang around, test some life support stuff and Air Force secret weapons, get back. 12 times solar escape velocity seems a bit excessive for an intended performance. I'd say the engine was redlining badly, and would just have destroyed the vessel before actual interstellar ranges could have been achieved. The aliens would probably have interfered as a life-saving measure.

Timo Saloniemi

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, very interesting... But Timo, the quote above from Reverend says "VEHICLE ATTAINED 12X SOLAR ESCAPE VELOCITY 2.56 HOURS EARLIER THAN PLANNED" -- which implies that the ship was meant to go that fast.

However, that might be explained by saying that reaching a certain velocity sooner than expected means greater acceleration, which in itself could be considered "redlining."

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
But Mandel still put the Mutara Nebula near the real Alpha Ceti, instead of using a fictional "Mu Ceti A" or somesuch next to SB12. An unfortunate communications failure, and a good lesson on the need for beta-checks...
Ah, we have a star charts expert! Good, you can tell us where he put Theta 116.

quote:
The Charybdis' original mission didn't seem all that ambitious - a few hundred AUs out, hang around, test some life support stuff and Air Force secret weapons, get back. 12 times solar escape velocity seems a bit excessive for an intended performance. I'd say the engine was redlining badly, and would just have destroyed the vessel before actual interstellar ranges could have been achieved.
Well if it was the third manned attempt to escape the solar system you can forgive NASA for being a little cautious after two sucessive failures...you have to give them credit though, even after three failures they still sent out the Jacob, doesn't sound like the NASA we know. Perhaps this is a result of the USAF involvement? They must have really wanted to test that gizmo.
Perhaps that Gizmo was a Botany Bay detector [Wink]

quote:
The aliens would probably have interfered as a life-saving measure.
I'm pretty sure that it was said that the alien intervention is what unintentionally killed all but one of the crew, which is why they felt guilty and made a little home for him.

The alien(s) must have been very alien indeed, not your run-of-the-mill latex forehead jobs if they managed to somehow snag a primitive space vessel and drag it across space, far enough that they don't know which system they picked it up in.
Possibly something similar to the Caretaker's race, Nagilum, the Excalibans or the wormhole aliens?
It'd have to be a race advanced enough to manipulate the fabric of space to cause that funky business with the revolving doors, have the ability to create the hotel and the human players. Not to mention the ability to read an alien language and interpret abstract descriptions into a detailed and solid construction.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't recall seeing a "loss of contact" date. Time to go back and review, I guess.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reactor systems are lifted from the description of those of the Discovery from 2001 -- a chamber that uses gaseous ammonia as the fissionable reaction mass, carried in slush tanks along the spine of the ship. I don't know what bearing that would have on your Charybdis design though...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps