Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Wormhole in the Sol system? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Wormhole in the Sol system?
Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fissionable reaction mass?! You can't fission ammonia! I think that there would be a solid fission core and ammonia would be pumped into that... and ejected as thrust.

I could be wrong... Happens sometimes. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
The reactor systems are lifted from the description of those of the Discovery from 2001 -- a chamber that uses gaseous ammonia as the fissionable reaction mass, carried in slush tanks along the spine of the ship. I don't know what bearing that would have on your Charybdis design though...

--Jonah

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gimme a bit to dig out my 2001 tech notes from storage...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happend/what swept the Valiant to the Galactic Barrier?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't think the Valiant was swept there, but went there under her own warp power. It would have taken a long time, but I don't recall her ever being brought there by any other means. What are the dates regarding her anyway?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am super useful! Only, perhaps not. My list thingy only contains information from within TOS and its attendant films, and no exterior facts, whether from spin off shows or extra-televisual items. So the exact date isn't on here, just ones I could derive from various clues over the run of the show/films. But the relative dates are, which are just as useful.
quote:
Where No Man Has Gone Before
BST 400-200
"Nightingale Woman" written by Tarbolde on the Canopius planet
CE 1996 (1)

BE 210-190
S.S. Valiant lost
CE 2006-2186
CE 2061-2154
CE 1970-1990
CE 2057-2194

BE 33
Gary Mitchell born (2)
Stardate 1087.7
CE 2163-2363
CE 2238-2311
CE 2147
CE 2234-2251

BE 31
Elizabeth Dehner born (2)
Stardate 1089.5
CE 2165-2365
CE 2240-2313
CE 2149
CE 2236-2253

BE 23
Gary Mitchell born (2)
Stardate 1087.7
CE 2153-2353
CE 2248-2321
CE 2157
CE 2244-2261

BE 21
Elizabeth Dehner born (2)
Stardate 1089.5
CE 2155-2355
CE 2250-2323
CE 2159
CE 2246-2263

BE 15
Kirk and Mitchell meet, presumably at the academy (3)
CE 2181-2381
CE 2256-2329
CE 2165
CE 2252-2269

ST 0+13 days, September 3-9 (4)
"Where No Man Has Gone Before"
Stardate 1312.4-1313.8
CE 2196-2396
CE 2271-2344
CE 2180
CE 2267-2284

1.) Mitchell gives the date of the poem and then mentions it was the most romantic written in the "past couple of centuries." My purely arbitrary definition of couple is two to four.
2.) It seems highly unlikely that Mitchell and Dehner were 23 and 21, respectively, during the episode, regardless of the ages given on their files.
3.) Mitchell's description of his academy years make it sound like he had not met Kirk prior to attending. It is interesting to note that if Mitchell met Kirk during his first year, and we assume from evidence in TNG that most people go to the academy at the age of 18, Mitchell would be 33 during the episode, which seems like a more reasonable age for a Lieutenant Commander and XO. If we're adding ten years to Mitchell's age, it doesn't seem unreasonable to do the same for Dr. Dehner, making her 31.
4.) Based on each episode being roughly thirteen days apart, with no delay between the first and second pilots.

We get two different and mutually exclusive stardate schemes here. The first, appearing on the personnel files Spock reviews, suggest that one stardate equals one year. By that scheme, Mitchell was 226 years old when he died, and the episode itself took over a year.

Kirk's date of birth, as given by his tombstone and as near as I can make out, is stardate 1277.1.

That was probably unnecessary, but I am a small and petty person.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Valiant certainly wasn't sent to deliberately sail to the Barrier - Kirk was very emotional about how it was "impossible" that an Earth vessel other than his own starship would be in this region of space.

OTOH, the mission of the Valiant was intended to be a multi-year one, if we believe Kirk when he says the ship was launched "over" 200 years ago and lost "almost" 200 years ago. And Kirk could reach the barrier within no more than two years out of his reputed five-year mission (that's the maximum time we can allocate - the TOS episodes we saw could have spanned more than three years, and then there's TAS). Heck, in later episodes, he seemed to return to the Barrier in a matter of hours. So it doesn't sound impossible for the Valiant to do the same within a few decades. Why was the feat "impossible" nevertheless? Was two-three decades completely beyond the endurance limit of a pre-TOS vessel?

Dialogue establishes that the Valiant was hit by a "magnetic storm". While there's nothing there to indicate that this storm seriously displaced the ship (apart from throwing her across the Barrier), there's nothing to say it didn't. Perhaps "magnetic storm" is what a wormhole-type anomaly would look like to the inexperienced 21st century starship commander.

Timo Saloniemi

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol, what do all those dates mean in your chronology thing? I'm assuming BST means Before Star Trek, but what about BE?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
before Enterprise? [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
Sol, what do all those dates mean in your chronology thing? I'm assuming BST means Before Star Trek, but what about BE?

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If BE 15 is equal to CE 2165, then I think not.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read it as Before Episode.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
The reactor systems are lifted from the description of those of the Discovery from 2001 -- a chamber that uses gaseous ammonia as the fissionable reaction mass, carried in slush tanks along the spine of the ship. I don't know what bearing that would have on your Charybdis design though...

--Jonah

Oh don't worry about that, it's still little more than a sketch.
I fully intend to go back and redraw everything aft of the antenna.
If anyone can find a basic diagram of this type of engine it would be very helpful to that end.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Regarding the Valiant: According to Mandel's charts the nearest point of the galactic barrier is about 2250 light years away from earth.
Given that this is a circa 2065 ship it's maximum speed would probably been something like warp 2 (TNG Scale, I don't know what the TOS scale looks like). That 10xls they would have made it to the barrier in 22.5 years, hardly swept.
A wormhole would be a consistent answer since as has already been pointed out, a primitive warp ship might not have sensors advanced enough or a crew with enough space experience to recognise a wormhole it came up and bit them on the nacelle...which apparently, is precisely what this one did.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Regarding the Valiant: According to Mandel's charts the nearest point of the galactic barrier is about 2250 light years away from earth.
Given that this is a circa 2065 ship it's maximum speed would probably been something like warp 2 (TNG Scale, I don't know what the TOS scale looks like). That 10xls they would have made it to the barrier in 22.5 years, hardly swept.

Math error! [Razz]

2250 * 10 = 225

Also, Warp 2 in the old scale is 8c based on the "warp factor cubed" formula.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
A wormhole would be a consistent answer since as has already been pointed out, a primitive warp ship might not have sensors advanced enough or a crew with enough space experience to recognise a wormhole

It's also a plausible explanation that since Warp technology then was still in its infancy, and we know by 2271 that even with two centuries with the technology, the refit Enterprise was able to inadvertently create a wormhole with their warp drive, the Valiant with inferior engines could've done the same!

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Stupid brain fart, I knew I should have used a calculator. It's just hard to reach the buttons from inside this straight jacket. I could say that it was a typo but you wouldn't belive me...better to claim stupidity than incompetance.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to put my life savings into internet stock.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps