Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Cause and Effect (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Cause and Effect
Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks SoundEffect! Found the caps I made on this page... here's a bigger view of the same (hopefully this one isn't as offensive to some screeners [Smile] ):

http://www.stguardian.to/fed/soyuz/soyuzcap.jpg

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a silly question after looking at those screencaps -- where's the Bozeman's impulse engines? They got covered up by the rear attachment, but there's no red glow at the end of that new projection.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good point: no torpedos either.....unless they're cleverly located in the B-C deck.
Nothing keeps the bridge crew alert like knowing there is a full magazine of torpedos just one deck under you. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Everything there was newly created just for that episode. We had a bunch of Enterprises, they didn't have all the detail but they had enough that when you cut to them you believed them."

Taken from "Captain's Logs" - First Edition published in 1993 by Boxtree.
So the interview should have been from quite shortly after the episode was made.

Thoughts? [/QB]

Great: they can build amesss o' Enterprises, but stick with an out-of scale Miranda with birth defects and no Impulse engines!
...oh well, at least It was'nt another Constalation! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
good point: no torpedos either.....unless they're cleverly located in the B-C deck.
Nothing keeps the bridge crew alert like knowing there is a full magazine of torpedos just one deck under you. [Big Grin]

I always figured a fore launcher was somewhere in that huge-ass sensor dome at the bottom of the ship. As for an aft launcher, there's enough room to bury at least one somewhere in the aft hull extension.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That large sensor dome at the saucer bottom has sensor spikes sticking out from the front. I'd put the forward lauchers in those sensor clusters on the dorsal of the saucer near the sides. Aft lauchers could be placed in the abutment (sp?) that was made so that the pylons could be sticking straight outward from the angled inward part of the saucer. The impulse engines (despite not having a glow here) could be placed on the aft part of the extention right below the 3rd shuttlebay's/cargo bay's landing deck.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's easier to see if you look at the color photo in the Chronology, but there does look like a distinct Reliant-type torpedo launch tube on the Bozeman's aft extension under Shutlebay 3. There's presuambly one on the other side for symmetry. I don't know if there's room in between for an impulse engine or not.

The lower sensor dome on the saucer is one of the aft under saucer pieces at the back of the Constellation Class.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought there was a very pronounced impulse nozzle assembly below the boxy aft extension? The extension would effectively hide the nozzles in aft shots taken above the centerline, but you can see it in the Encyclopedia pictures (real model photos manipulated?) nevertheless.

And why would this ship need a torpedo launcher at all? There was no dialogue reference to torpedoes (unlike with the Saratoga). The Soyuz class mission profile might not call for FTL space combat beyond phaser ranges. And I refuse to believe that the idiocy of "all our ships can perform all our missions" began in Kirk's era already.

Timo Saloniemi

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Starship Millennium:

http://www.stguardian.to/fed/soyuz/soyuzcap.jpg

The diagram on that page has a refit type bridge and structure below it (the airlock box around the turbolifts, the angled sides), but the Bozeman had the Phase II type bridge with the "Mickey Mouse ear" turbos and the more TOS like rounded superstructure.

Was that an Encyclopedia scan?

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SoundEffect:
It's easier to see if you look at the color photo in the Chronology, but there does look like a distinct Reliant-type torpedo launch tube on the Bozeman's aft extension under Shutlebay 3.

If it's the part that's just beneath the extension, then the "torpedo bay" doesn't have enough clearance to avoid hitting the lower decks of the saucer when it fires. And there doesn't seem to be enough room in the antenna housing at the base of the lower tower for torpedo launchers.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, no...aft firing torpedoes. If you look at the bottom of the back piece of the hexagonal extention of the Bozeman, coming just out of the shadow, you can see a launch tube of the same design from the Reliant Rollbar. It's sufficiently on the portside enough that the starboard must have an identical torp tube on the starboard side.

I only mentoned the Constellation piece in case anyone was wondering where that detail came from...just like the Nebula Class neck pieces that hold up the Bozeman's upper and lower sensor pods.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry...thought we were talking about a forward launcher. That should teach me not to post after an eight hour shift at work. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Starship Millennium
Member # 822

quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
And why would this ship need a torpedo launcher at all? There was no dialogue reference to torpedoes (unlike with the Saratoga). The Soyuz class mission profile might not call for FTL space combat beyond phaser ranges. And I refuse to believe that the idiocy of "all our ships can perform all our missions" began in Kirk's era already.

Maybe for probes and the like? The Bozeman did look like it was heavily modified with lots of sensors... if it was designed for recon or even just scientific studies, probes would definitely help, as well as the ability to defend itself against any would-be attackers. But then again I guess the transporter would work for that too...

quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
The diagram on that page has a refit type bridge and structure below it (the airlock box around the turbolifts, the angled sides), but the Bozeman had the Phase II type bridge with the "Mickey Mouse ear" turbos and the more TOS like rounded superstructure.

Was that an Encyclopedia scan?

I'm not sure, but based on the inaccurate proportions of the nacelles it looks like the base was taken from the Fact Files/Star Trek: The Magazine and heavily modified from there (that representation was basically just a rollbar-less Miranda with one sensor pod stuck on the back of it). Whoever modified the image to make it more accurate probably just forgot to change the bridge.

IIRC, the Soyuz and the Bozeman didn't appear in a side view in any version of the Encyclopedia.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd has done a much better modification of the FF Miranda schematics to represent the Bozeman.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Whoever modified the image to make it more accurate probably just forgot to change the bridge.
Give me a break, that re-touch is about two years old and all I had to go on was what was in the 'pedia and chronology. No DVD caps in those days, none whatsoever.

Besides, Dat is correct, Bernd's re-touch of my re-touch is much more accurate.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps