Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Musings about Sulu's deleted TWOK scene; Enterprise-A/Yorktown thing (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Musings about Sulu's deleted TWOK scene; Enterprise-A/Yorktown thing
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just thinking idly about stuff and I got some interesting ideas. Nothing spectacular or hugely original, mind you, but interesting.

I was cosnidering my shiplist (I really should get back to work on that [Embarrassed] ) and my policy of counting deleted scenes and shooting scripts as being canon. I was thinking about whether there were cases in which this would become awkward or contradictory. Particularly, I was running over the dropped dialogue between Kirk and Sulu in the travel pod sequence from TWOK, where it's mentioned that Sulu is going to be promoted to Captain and assume command of the Excelsior. As I'm sure most of us know, Sulu's mention of his upcoming promotion was in fact filmed, but cut because (of all things) William Shatner complained about having more than one captain among the main cast. (He obviously forgot about Spock... [Roll Eyes] ) You can see in the final film exactly where the pertinent dialogue was cut. As I said, it's during the travel pod sequence when Kirk and the gang are being brought over to the Enterprise in drydock. Right after Sulu says "I'm delighted. Any chance to go aboard the Enterprise---" and then is abruptly cut off, even though you can see his mouth still moving. The original scene, before being edited, played out like this:

code:

KIRK
I really must thank you.

SULU
(embarrassed)
I am delighted; any chance to go
aboard Enterprise, however briefly,
is always an excuse for nostalgia.

KIRK
I cut your new orders personally. By
the end of the month, you'll have your
first command: USS EXCELSIOR.

SULU
Thank you, sir. I've looked
forward to this for a long time.

KIRK
You've earned it. But I'm still
grateful to have you at the helm
for three weeks. I don't believe
these kids can steer.

That's from the shooting script.

Now obviously, Sulu was still a commander up until at least the time of STV, as he wore the Cmdr rank pin and was repeatedly referred to as "Commander Sulu." But there's still no real contradiction with the deleted scene from TWOK, if you take into account the fact that immediately following TWOK (which occurs a month before Sulu was to be promoted) the Enterprise returns to Earth and a few days later is stolen from Spacedock by, among others, Sulu. (Who also assaulted a Starfleet security guard and aided in the jailbreak of a Federation prisoner in the process, not the best citations the Starfleet Promotion & Command Review Board like to see on your record.) She is pusued breifly by the newly-completed U.S.S. Excelsior, which had been placed under the "command" of one Captain Styles during her construction and test-run phase. The Enterprise is soon after destroyed by her hijackers, who proceed to Vulcan aboard a captured Klingon vessel and spend the next three months there in self-imposed exile before deciding to return home to face court martial. (This already puts us at least two months after Sulu was to be promoted.) It just so happens that they end up making a side trip to the late 20th century and ultimately saving Earth from the devastation of a gigantic alien probe. Only after all of this does the crew actually face trial. Fortuantely, any charges against Sulu are dropped. But the poor Excelsior is still non-operational, so Sulu's promotion and command must be postponed. Due to the delay, Sulu is reassigned to the U.S.S. Enterprise-A along with his shipmates. The Excelsior is still languishing in Spacedock some time later, when the whole Nimbus III crisis occurs, and so Sulu is still serving as helmsman aboard the Enterprise (albeit enjoying some well-deserved planetside R & R) when the ship is scrambled unexpectedly to deal with the situation.

Ultimately, it's not until 2290 (three years before TUC) that Commander Sulu finally becomes Captain Sulu and accepts command of the Excelsior. (Starfleet finally having given up on trying to make the transwarp drive work after Scotty trashed it way back in STIII, and having refitted the ship as a conventional warp vessel and assigning her to some nice gaseous anomaly surveying in the Beta Quadrant, where poor Sulu can finally enjoy some peace and quiet and some quality tea-totalling time. [Wink] )

Of course then those damned Klingons had to go and overmine their moon and...well, that's another story... [Big Grin]

The other thing I was thinking about was the oft-debated issue of whether the Enterprise-A was in fact the renamed U.S.S. Yorktown NCC-1717 that was disabled by the Probe in TVH. I've always said that she was, since I generally consider the Encyclopedia and Tech Manuals to be canon sources. It's been pointed out to me by Spikey and others, however, that she is referred to as a "new" ship in TFF. Which, admittedly, is quite true.

So I was thinking about this and then I remembered something that I'd forgotten for quite some time, and which apparently everyone else has too. The Encyclopedia presents two scenarios---two sets of circumstances under which the postulated re-naming of the ship might have taken place. Okuda says: "...Roddenberry reportedly suggested that the second Starship Enterprise, NCC-1701-A, launched at the end of Star Trek IV, had previously been named the Yorktown, since it seems unlikely that Starfleet could have built an all-new ship so quickly. If this was the case, the Yorktown [NCC-1717] may have made it safely back to Earth and been repaired and renamed, or perhaps there was a newer, replacement Yorktown alredy under construction at the time of the probe crisis."

It's that second part that I had forgotten about. The book never specifies which of these scenarios is what "really" happened, and neither does the TNG Tech Manual, which simply says that the NCC-1701-A had previously been named Yorktown. Yet everyone seems to have latched on to the first story and left the alternative by the wayside. But what if the second option was the correct one. Then all conflicts are resolved. The Enterprise can be a new ship in TFF and still have been named Yorktown, just as the official sources say. Starfleet had a new ship on hand that had either just been completed or maybe even hadn't been totally finished yet (witness the glitches seen in TFF) that was to be named Yorktown, but was instead renamed Enterprise to honor Kirk & co.

How about it?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Sulu's backstory with the Excelsior would be great continuity between the films (though I always thought Sulu's obvious affinity for the Excelsior, as seen at the end of ST IV, was good enough to connect later with when we finally see him as the skipper).

However, I don't know about the Yorktown/Enterprise naming obsession. First off, why rename a ship? Isn't it bad luck? And even if they did rename a new vessel named Yorktown, why would Starfleet be building a new Yorktown of the same class as the current Yorktown in the same film?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For further continuity, check out the (non-canon) movie novelizations from Treks 2-6. In the first few chapters there's ALWAYS a paragraph or two describing Sulu and why he's not gotten the Excelsior yet.

IIRC, Sulu was "temporarily" replaced by Styles by Admiral Morrow in ST3 due to the Genesis incident, to wit Style was thumbing his nose at everyone and basically calling her his own as a permenant thing. Following the Whalesong probe fun, Styles (who was aboard Excelsior when the probe depowered her AGAIN) got sideways promoted to Fleet Command while Excelsior was being refitted; during that time Sulu willing accepted a temporary demotion to Commander so he could serve aboard Enterprise until they were done. Then things pretty much fell into place for him to take command.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was there ever any reference in a deleted scene as to why Styles was there? Presumably becuase Sulu was helping out his friends. So why in TWOK SE didn't they put that bit of dialogue about the Captaincy back in? After all Shatners ego should be all that bruised seeing as we all know Sulu gets the Excelsior in the end.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if, when TWOK was written, Excelsior was planned as a next-generation ship or was just a regular ship (Reliant or Connie, perhaps). I suspect it was just supposed to be a regular ship and not what we later saw in STIII.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Mim, two things about the Yorktown.

I have a problem with the whole 'newbuild' theory. By the time of Star Trek IV, the Excelsior class was coming into its ascendancy. And while Enterprise-class vessels built within the last ten years might continue to serve for close to a century as their Miranda-class contemporaries did and do, refitted Constitutions would be retired, as the Enterprise was scheduled to be. To my thinking, any venerable Constitutions would see their names applied to new Excelsiors rather than to an end-of-the-production-line Enterprise. We know there was a new Yorktown, as Tuvok said his parents were serving aboard her around the time of the Khitomer Conference.

And second, if the old Yorktown DID make it back, as is posited, and that ship became the new Enterprise, what did Starfleet do with the Yorktown's crew? If Sulu's comment at the end of TVH is any indication, new postings were presumed to be to Excelsiors, rather than the now second-string Enterprises.

Forgive my rather jumbled technique tonight, but my brain is being foggy for some reason.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some minor misconceptions might need to be clarified.

First off, renaming of ships is not considered bad luck in sailor circles. Ships in some commercial fleets are renamed more often than they are repainted. Ships in military navies are often renamed and re-renamed during construction phase (which can drag on for years) and there's no special aversity to renaming operational ships, either. It just hasn't happened all that much in the USN yet. (But e.g. the Thresher class of submarines was renamed the Permit class after the loss of the class boat, to dispel "bad luck"!)

Also, it is not unusual to move large chunks of crews from ship to ship. It depends a bit on how the crew is trained. If you have a commercial or conscript crew, moving around is the norm. Professional military navies might want to train personnel to specific tasks aboard specific ships, but Starfleet is famous for its multi-proficient personnel (or Desilu/Paramount was famous for its recycling of extras, including "dead" ones!).

And several RW navies are famous for going to silly lengths to keep an "honored" name active. When a ship with such a name goes down, a newbuild or an older active vessel of same or different class will be renamed. The Royal Navy and IIRC the Indian and Argentine navies like to play such games with their carrier names, for example.

Timo Saloniemi

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be funny when we see a Star Trek film where there's an Enterprise-E and Enterprise-F at the same time.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But please, please, pretty PLEASE let it not be due to yet another case of time travel!

Timo Saloniemi

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(or Desilu/Paramount was famous for its recycling of extras, including "dead" ones!)
Really? I never noticed. . . Is there anywhere I can read about this, with examples?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hadn't realized the producers had been tossing the name Excelsior about before STIII. Wow.

The first explanation for the Yorktown still makes the most sense to me. The refit Constitution Yorktown may have been a fairly newly commissioned 'new build' as of STIV. The Whale Probe power-down was just the first of it's many troubles to be seen by STV! The Yorktown limped home, it's crew reassigned while engineers repainted NCC-1701-A on the hull and Kirk took it out. Shortly thereafter another ship of some type is named Yorktown, an available name now, and a Vulcan officer is assigned to it who has a kid named Tuvok. There...easy explanation.

And, as Ace said above, "First off, why rename a ship? Isn't it bad luck?"

Didn't you see how well the ship was running during STV? [Wink]

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Well, Mim, two things about the Yorktown.

I have a problem with the whole 'newbuild' theory. By the time of Star Trek IV, the Excelsior class was coming into its ascendancy. And while Enterprise-class vessels built within the last ten years might continue to serve for close to a century as their Miranda-class contemporaries did and do, refitted Constitutions would be retired, as the Enterprise was scheduled to be. To my thinking, any venerable Constitutions would see their names applied to new Excelsiors rather than to an end-of-the-production-line Enterprise. We know there was a new Yorktown, as Tuvok said his parents were serving aboard her around the time of the Khitomer Conference.

And second, if the old Yorktown DID make it back, as is posited, and that ship became the new Enterprise, what did Starfleet do with the Yorktown's crew? If Sulu's comment at the end of TVH is any indication, new postings were presumed to be to Excelsiors, rather than the now second-string Enterprises.

Forgive my rather jumbled technique tonight, but my brain is being foggy for some reason.

--Jonah

I've only got a few minutes to type at the moment, I post more later, but:

I don't buy it at all that Excelsiors were replacing Constitution-class ( [Razz] [Razz] [Razz] ) ships at the time of TVH. For God's sake, the prototype hadn't even been made to work yet! I seriously doubt that Starfleet placed any real faith in the Excelsior program after its lack of performance in STIII, and it's my view that NO new Excelsiors were built until the design was refitted as a conventional warp vessel and the prototype was awarded active status, circa 2290. (A full 7 years after TVH.)

So, where do you think that the E-A came from, if you don't think it's a newbuild and you don't think it was a pre-existing vessel that was renamed? Did SF just wave a magic wand and there it was?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Timo
Member # 245

I also think that the Excelsior was a) intended to be the replacement for the Constitutions and their ilk and b) far, far from that goal in the 2280s or even the 2290s.

But I also like to think that more than one Excelsior spaceframe had been completed or near completion by the time of ST2-4&5. A costly mistake for Starfleet, perhaps, a gamble they lost, but at least it would help explain the 2000-range Excelsior(s) we hear of later on. Perhaps the project was iced after ST3, but probably only after ST4 (where Sulu still considers the Excelsiors a fine breed), and the E-B created in an attempt to rectify the errors. And only in the 24th cnetury did series production begin, and the era of the Constitutions end for good.

Timo Saloniemi

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some interesting speculations here. I'm going to bring up a few issues, though...

What's the general timeline for the construction and launching of the Excelsior, both as the transwarp testbed and as a commissioned ship? Furthermore, would Starfleet already start building further ships of that class while the prototype was still being debugged?

There was a line in one episode of TNG ("Evolution," I think) where Data said that no Starfleet ship had experienced full systems failure in XX years (number may be slightly off). Some fan pointed out that that number dated back to around 2287, which could arguably be the failure of the Excelsior. (Circa ST:V.) That failure would've prompted the ultimate end of the Great Experiment. (After all, they could've just replaced the chips that Scotty pulled out in ST:III, right?)

In TUC, Sulu's log said that the Excelsior had been on a three-year mission -- a long-range mission at that. Arguably, the ship might have gotten a shakedown period (at least a few months long) before that, meaning Sulu probably took command in late 2288 or 2289.

Personally, I now disregard Roddenberry's Yorktown speculation as non-applicable, just the same as his speculation that V'ger had encountered the Borg. There's nothing to directly suggest it, and when you consider other factors (especially Tuvok's parents and the likely Excelsior-class construction schedule) I find it less probable that the Yorktown itself was renamed the Enterprise-A.

Another minor detail: some Flareites have analyzed the Spacedock scenes at the end of TVH and pointed out that there were almost certainly several Constitution-class ships in the area; why does the Enterprise-A have to be the ex-Yorktown?

However, I still think that the Enterprise-A was a renamed ship rather than a new build, given the state of disrepair. (I've only seen TFF once, many many years ago, and have no desire to see it again anytime soon; therefore I can't comment about the "new ship" line in the movie.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
why does the Enterprise-A have to be the ex-Yorktown?
Duh! Because Roddenberry's speculation is printed in the ST Encyclopedia.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps