Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ MORE Future Tech! ["Future Tense" Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: $$ MORE Future Tech! ["Future Tense" Spoilers]
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would EF still be using the Hyperion itself, then? The class was supposedly used in the Dilgar war.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's because it came mostly out of the blue, but I was more impressed by this Tholian menace than the way the Romulans were introduced a few months ago. Maybe that's because the Romulans just flew around and talked tough while the Tholians disabled a Vulcan combat cruiser and blew up a full-fledged fleet of Suliban cell ships? [Eek!]

Obviously the effects have been updated, but IMO those Tholian ships are the exact same type as the ones we saw in "The Tholian Web." The only potential variations would be something akin to the D7/K't'inga modifications between TOS and TMP.

(Aside: I'm pretty sure that I saw an Exocomp from "The Quality of Life" in the hangar bay during the teaser -- it was behind Archer when he was opening up the Mystery Ship's hatch, back against the wall.)

Tholians are almost certainly nonhumanoid at this point -- I got the impression that their language sounded insectoid with all the clicking and squeaking over the comm, not to mention the fact that an ambient temperature of 200 degrees (Celsius, presumably) would explain the colorful background when Commander Loskene appeared on the viewscreen in TOS.

That futuristic Vulcan combat cruiser... dare I suggest that the presence of three (broken?) ring-nacelles on that Vulcan ship might support the existence and/or viability of other three-nacelled starships later on in the Federation Starfleet?

(Another Aside: The ship from B5 is almost definitely the Hyperion-class because it's referred as such in one of the official size charts for internal production use released by Tim Earls.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
That futuristic Vulcan combat cruiser... dare I suggest that the presence of three (broken?) ring-nacelles on that Vulcan ship might support the existence and/or viability of other three-nacelled starships later on in the Federation Starfleet?

As if any more support were needed...*cough*Niagara*cough*AGT Enterprise*cough*....
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was about to say the same thing when I read that three-nacelle bit MMoM. The thing about odd nacelled ships is they just aren't as good as even nacelled ships.

I wanted to comment on the time ship and what it means about the Aeon from Voyager. Could it be possible that it wasn't a cockpit only ship?

BTW, I didn't hear Vega, I heard Beta... but I wasn't paying much attention at that point in time, so I could be wrong.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps 29th century ships don't have that tech yet while 31st century ships do.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Vega, I'm an idiot...

And I saw the Exocomp upon reviewing the tape.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't be the first time - an Exocomp, or at least part of one, fixed up Reed's leg earlier this year in "Dead Stop".

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
(Another Aside: The ship from B5 is almost definitely the Hyperion-class because it's referred as such in one of the official size charts for internal production use released by Tim Earls.)

Interesting. . . I wonder what those involved in the "Hyperion or Not?" near-flamewar (largely between proponents of the two main, rival, B5-tech websites, not people here) had to say about that. . ?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mabye all the propulsion and time traveling gear that Trip could'nt find makes up the dimensionally displaced second-third decks?

.......and I still say the Tholians could have been from the Future themselves instead of just working for some other power like the Floam-skins.
Consider this: The Tholians are a looong way from home and Tholians of this era are known to be highly xenephobic- rarely leaving their systems.
The Tholians understand the dangers of "Temporal Radiation".
The Tholians are able to kick the Vulcan Cmbat Cruiser's ass, disable the Enterprise without permanently damaging her or killing anyone aboard (preserving the timeline?) and four small Tholian ships completely destroy all the Sulibon ships (ships benifiting from future tech I might add) without taking any casualties themselves.
The Tholians also make a point of not attacking Enterprise after their objective is achieved/lost.
In conclusion: either the Tholians shown are from the future or they really really let their technology slide between Enterprise and TOS. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Tholians could be domestic, and that their xenophobia could be exactly what whoever they're working for need. But it DOES beg the question of WHY the Tholians would consent to work for anyone not Tholian? Perhaps they're being duped? Could their vastly superior technology (for the era) be the work of a faction even more advanced than the FutureGuy who's aiding the Suliban? The technology could have been left to slide simply because they were no longer supplied it by their sponsors, and possibly due to their xenophobia - it's tought to advance technologically if you've got no one to interact with but yourselves.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's obvious at this point that the Tholians are basically the anti-Suliban, working for another faction in the Temporal Cold War. Of course, being so xenophobic it's possible -- even likely -- that they're working for their future selves. Whether those future Tholians are working alongside someone else is something we can't really speculate on at this point.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They just seemed far less hostile that the TOS version Tholians: they left all theit targets alive except the Sulibon....
......and they knew the Vulcans would be there too!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
They just seemed far less hostile that the TOS version Tholians: they left all theit targets alive except the Sulibon....
......and they knew the Vulcans would be there too!

Not necessarily... all that says is that they didn't treat the Enterprise and the Vulcans as enemies. They still didn't have any allowance for interference in their work, though. They had no compulsion for boarding the Enterprise when they needed to.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for their technology... Bear in mind that the Starfleet ships in TOS are, despite appearances, more advanced that those in ENT. Even if the Tholian ships are more powerful in the 2150s, there's a whole century for Earth/Federation ships to catch up and/or surpass them. Presumably, there would be an acceleration of technological advancement when the Federation forms and all those races start combining their knowledge. The Tholians wouldn't have this, since they're working completely alone.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Tholians aren't unreasonably aggressive in "The Tholian Web," either, allowing the Enterprise to try and retrieve Kirk from the Defiant (at least, the first time), and by DS9 they seem almost outgoing.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps