Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ MORE Future Tech! ["Future Tense" Spoilers] (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: $$ MORE Future Tech! ["Future Tense" Spoilers]
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah -- I forgot about how they allowed some time to try and rescue Kirk.

Of course, on the other side there's the Tholian attack on a starbase which almost killed Kyle Riker. (Waitaminute -- wouldn't that mean they're GOOD guys? Although pretty sloppy ones, if they killed everyone but the guy they were trying to get. [Razz] )

From what I recall, the Tholians even had an ambassador that stopped at DS9 on a couple of occasions by the time of the show -- Sisko obtained some Tholian silk from him, IIRC.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over the course of DS9, we hear about the Tholians maybe four or five times, and they appear to be taking an active interest in galactic politics in all their mentions. (Touring the station, sitting in on some summit meeting on Earth, etc.) That is to say, an interest relative to their earlier mentions in TNG, which seemed all angry and stuff.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Such a turnaround is unlikely but by no means impossible, for all we know there could there could have been some kind of coup within the Tholian Assembly that toppled the old opressive regime and made room for a new forward looking government.
Perhaps all the previous hostility was based on poor communication and misunderstanding, maybe the Tholians early attempts at diplomacy with other species was met with hostility or violence which is the root of their xenophibia (who knows, the Hur'q could have been to Tholia).
The turnaround could be the result of something as simple as an act of mercy, a Federation vessel coming to the aid of a stricken Tholian warship perhaps?

Either way I just hope that B&B put some serious thought into developing the Tholians and don't just paint them as 2-D "not-quite-bad-guys" like how the Ferengi ended up.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do'nt think any huge change is needed.
Leaders die, New more progressive leaders come to power: look at the Soviet Union in the 50 years alone....and nobody said it was the Tholian government that attacked the starbase...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to say, it's not like the Tholians are everybody's best pal in the future. They're just more involved, politically.

And, of course, the Tholians are arguably not "bad guys" in this episode, since their motives are so obscured. The future ship really did turn out to be dangerous, after all.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I do'nt think any huge change is needed.
Leaders die, New more progressive leaders come to power: look at the Soviet Union in the 50 years alone....and nobody said it was the Tholian government that attacked the starbase...

Maybe; maybe not. Throughout TNG, the Tholians were basically regarded as enemies -- like Sol said. They attacked a starbase, they had an interest in the Klingon Civil War (or the potential for one, re: "Reunion"), and also the simulated battle that Riker fought in the Academy against a Tholian ship... that sounds like a rather consistent series of events prior to around 2368 or so. Not just random aggression like the various Klingon incidents we've seen.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Well, let me try to clear things up. I'm not saying that there was any unreasonable change in the attitude of the Tholians between TNG and DS9. Just that, in DS9, they seemed to be opening up a bit. That's all. Nothing that requires a complete government change or anything.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really really liked this ep, but there is one small thing that irks me quite a bit.

I THOUGHT THEY COULDN'T USE THE F*CKING PHASE CANNONS AT WARP!!!!!!!!!!

ARGH!!!!! [Mad]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Er, they couldn't use them because Reed said there was a problem he had to fix. Then he fixed it.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He must have fixed Porthos too....the dog has been absent for the past couple of episodes....even in the Captain's quarters. [Confused]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The actor playing Porthos got cocky after starring in "A Night in Sickbay" and started asking for too many milk bones.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Geez...how greedy: He already had more lines than Merriweather!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bloody warpcore's got more lines than Mayweather, so that's not hard.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sorak
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for Sorak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Five bucks says Porthos is on the next episode.

--------------------
Petty Officer 1st Class Sorak
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if a primitive version of the dimensionally transcendental tech is on the Enterprise E? It would explain the 24-26-29 deck enigma [Smile]
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps