Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » If you were designing a starship ... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: If you were designing a starship ...
Anti Spark
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The holodeck can do all those things. No need for wasting space.
IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Next thing you know, Cthulhu will be part of the waste-extraction system, and Hastur will replace the warp drive.

Go read some Barbara Hambly TOS novels. "Crossroads", for example. [Smile]

And IIRC, that one has the bowling alley, too.

Timo Saloniemi

Darkwing
Member # 834

- posted      Profile for Darkwing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fan rooms for the life support system
library
chartroom
smokepit
galley
messdecks
wardroom (wierdroom)
training facilities
swimming pool
dojo
gym
spa
firing range
combat information center (CIC)
labs
battle dressing stations
repair lockers
firefighting equipment
lifeboats
cargo handling booms
cargo bay
airlocks (like TMP era)
armory - primary and alternates
Quarterdeck
aft steering
emergency generators
backup engines, both impulse and warp. For a TMP era ship, a backup linear intermix chamber & matter/anti-matter reactor (aka warp core in TNG).
counter-intruder systems
multi-species life support
EVA lockers
Damage Control Central
low-tech emergency comms (like sound-powered phones)
fightercraft, remote drones, probes, remote comm/sensor relays
stealth gear/cloak
ECM/ECCM/Elint/EW gear
all transporters on a separate circuit, so a casulty in one doesn't take them all down - and transporter probes that allow beaming through shields.
Large through-deck shuttle bay
administrative offices
ground and air vehicles for landing parties
security lobbies (kind of like a guard shack and airlock) for sensitive areas.
solar sail (for loss of propulsion emergencies)
telescopes (visual, radio, etc)
sextants
printshop
site tv
ship's store
vending machines
laundry
Supply division storeroom
paint locker
hazmat locker
deck gear locker
grapples
telescoping "gangway" airlock
water storage
waste reclamation
raw material storage for fabricators
reefers for cold and cool food storage
chapel
scuttles and hatches for emergency access between decks

Just off the top of my head

--------------------
Darkwing
If you don't drink the kool-aid, you're a *baaad* person - Rev Jim Jones
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion - William Ralph Inge
Almond kool-aid, anyone? - DW
[email protected]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And or a large ship, a small shopping centre. Or at least some open space with 'restaurants'.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like a mess hall?

But it's true that many larger navy ships have one or more PX shops, roughly equivalent to a newspaper stand or 7-11. Aircraft carriers even have a small TV studio for their own news channel.

Mark

PS - Bridges still coming. My favorite pencil is broken. Very sad.

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Darkwing
Member # 834

- posted      Profile for Darkwing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Like a mess hall?

But it's true that many larger navy ships have one or more PX shops, roughly equivalent to a newspaper stand or 7-11. Aircraft carriers even have a small TV studio for their own news channel.

Mark

All ships I know of, except perhaps the Cyclone PCs, have a ship's store, and a newsstand or small 7-11 makes a good description. OTOH, Alcohol Support Unit Bahrain is a shore facility which only has a Ship's Store, not an NEX (Navy Exchange; PX or AAFES is for zoomies and grunts) I hear carriers have several, and maybe even a McDonald's. I don't believe that one, but then I've only physically been on the Shitty Kitty.
And every ship (again, possibly excepting the PCs) has a site TV shop.

--------------------
Darkwing
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion - William Ralph Inge
[email protected]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Ewing, you fill your heads with much incomprehensible jibberish! Your swabbie talk is lost on landlubbers - and most Trek fans!

Let's start with Shitty Kitty = USS Kitty Hawk, and work from there. [Smile] Why is it that so many USN ships have such profane nicknames?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Darkwing:
All ships I know of, except perhaps the Cyclone PCs, have a ship's store, and a newsstand or small 7-11 makes a good description. OTOH, Alcohol Support Unit Bahrain is a shore facility which only has a Ship's Store, not an NEX (Navy Exchange; PX or AAFES is for zoomies and grunts) I hear carriers have several, and maybe even a McDonald's. I don't believe that one, but then I've only physically been on the Shitty Kitty.
And every ship (again, possibly excepting the PCs) has a site TV shop.

"All ships I know of, except perhaps the Cyclone Class coastal patrol ships, have a ship's store, which could be described as a newsstand or 7-11. On the other hand, Alcohol Support Unit Bahrain is a shore facility which only has a ship's store, not an NEX (Navy Exchange) shop. No Navy ships or bases have a PX (Post Exchange) or AAFES (Army and Air Force Exchange Service) shop, because they are only for Air Force and Army Personnel. I hear carriers have several, and maybe even a McDonald's. I don't believe that one, but then I've only physically been on the USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63). And every ship (again, possibly excepting the coastal patrol ships) has a television room."
Darkwing
Member # 834

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Mr. Ewing, you fill your heads with much incomprehensible jibberish! Your swabbie talk is lost on landlubbers - and most Trek fans!

Let's start with Shitty Kitty = USS Kitty Hawk, and work from there. [Smile] Why is it that so many USN ships have such profane nicknames?

Mark

Sorry, I'm so used to the jargon that I sometimes fail to translate fully when speaking to others.
I know what I mean, and sometimes it's so transparent to me that I don't notice it's opaque to people not used to it.

Phoenix did a decent job of translating, except that "tv rooms" is unclear - that should be a shipwide tv cable system, often including satellite tv, and channels reserved for shipboard broadcast (training, addressing th crew, briefings, etc), not just a tv viewing lounge.
Also, I should have said "Administrative Support Unit", the other is a common joke made about the place.

Heinlein once wrote that the first caveman to cross a river on a log renamed everything so nobody would think he was a landlubber.

Sailors have had irreverent nicknames for their ships since the dawn of time, partly affection, partly spite for the toil the ship requires and the harshness of life aboard (nowhere near as bad as it once was).
My first ship, USS Shasta (AE-33), now USNS (TAE-33), an ammunition ship, we called Shaftya, because of command policies many felt were unfair, and the heavy workload of an underway replenishment ship.
Next, the USS John S. McCain (DDG-56), was called Johnny Mac.
USS Blue Ridge (LCC-19), though, had the most various nicknames, none complimentary. Blue Bitch, Blue pig, blue sledge, and more. LCC was interpreted as Largest cleaning Crew or Let's Clean and Clean. Basically, we had the most restrictive policies, the most time wasted 'field daying' (deep cleaning), and the least useful mission.

Sometimes nicknames show how much a particular ship is revield by others, or appreciated. Bunker Hill (CG-52) was Benny Hill to some, Cellblock 52 to others. Abraham Lincoln became Stinkin' Lincoln to us after she nearly ran us over during an unrep (underway replenishment), and after plane guard with the Independence, we started calling it the 'end-of-my-penis'.
And finally, sailors simply are profane. It's part of our image, and many go to great lengths to cultivate that image.
Again, sorry I posted unclearly. I'll try to remember to more fully translate in future.

--------------------
Darkwing
[email protected]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That info alone would be most interesting to see Masao make patches on.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Great stuff.

Unfortunately, most of it is not going to wind up in my Lego Star Trek ship. [Frown]

I just don't have the space or material to build a huge starship, so it's going to be small. A Bridge, Transporter Room, Conference Room, Officers and Enlisted crew living quarters, Main Engineering, maybe a Shuttlebay, a Galley, Mess Hall, Science Labs, Sickbay, plus a collection of "facilities" and lifepods. I'm figuring about 25 total complement.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one thing I would make sure was on a starship-- the head!
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My god man, just how many Legos do you own???

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not enough for this project. I love Bricklink.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto, as well as Lugnet as an overall lego site [Smile] . What or are there any pieces in particular that you need, per se?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps