Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » If you were designing a starship ... (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: If you were designing a starship ...
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Not a real starship. I mean, I'm not expecting to put it into orbit and send it on its merry way with a crew of Lego people, if that's what you mean.
Oh, go on, it'd be funny. [Razz]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nevermind

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nevermind what?

And why is it the little "this post has been edited" subscript was done away with?

[ March 12, 2003, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think the new setup is that you have a ten minute window to edit your post without it showing up, so if you make a dumb mistake you can finish it without anyone noticing.. after 10 minutes the 'post edited' thing comes up, and after a certain number of hours it wont let you edit at all.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I think you are allowed to edit a post well over a few hours....it has to be more than even days, as I just edit a post i wrote 1d18hrs ago.

And my 'nevermind' was just a question I answered not too long after I posted -- so I just removed it rather than ask a redundant question.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've been doing a lot of sketching and planning on this. As some of you may know, I asked Masao to work his magic on his WIP Oberth/Miranda ancestor, to try to come up with a workable exterior design to base my Lego ship on.

Not counting the Torpedo Bay (which will be mounted above the Main Bridge, akin to the Miranda), the ship will feature four decks: Bridge Deck, A Deck, B Deck, C Deck and D Deck.
Although the Bridge Deck and A Deck are on the same level, there is no connection between them (i.e., you have to go to B deck to get to A Deck from Bridge Deck). A Deck is the rear section of the "porch" elevated to the same height as the Bridge Deck.

Argh. That was a mouthful!

Ok, the ship will feature:

NO TURBOLIFTS.

All access between decks will be done with stairwells, or access ladders.

Main Bridge

Tiny, yes. Cramped, hell yes. The mainstays of course: a joined Nav/Helm position, a captain's chair, and consoles for Weapons, Science, Communication, Engineering, and Operations. There is only one exit from the Bridge - a short corridor leading to a staircase to B Deck. This will most likely be a "Mark Nguyen" design (if he ever, well, designs it).

Captain's Ready Room

Located on B-Deck. Cramped office - desk, chairs. Maybe a plant. No private head [Frown]

Conference Lounge

Standard stuff. I hope it to occupy the foreward room on B-Deck, which would give it a rather nice view of oncoming stars.

Two Senior Officer's Quarters

I don't know where these go yet ... stuff is still falling into place. I'd like them to go on B-Deck, simply because it makes sense for the two senior officers to be close to the bridge. They're not luxurious accomodations - one room, with a bunk, a desk, maybe a dresser, and a private head. Woohoo, right?

Four Officer's Quarters

Two officers to a cabin, and a pair of cabins shares a head. Four people for one toilet. Woohoo!

Four Crew Quarters

You thought that was bad? Eight enlisted to a cabin, and (as above), a pair of cabins shares a (larger) head. So it's only eight guys to a toilet (since there are TWO)!

Foreward Rec Room

This is the foreward chamber of C-Deck, which, to the current design, is the foreward-most location aboard the ship. It's a mix of Ten-Foreward, the Defiant's Mess Hall, and that room with the Wheel in STV. It is adjoining to the Galley, and can double as Ship's Chapel.

Gymnasium

A room with mats. Maybe some exercise equipment if I can figure out how to make it.

Science Complex

A series of labs for Astrophysics, Stellar Cartography, Planetary Biology and Geology, and ... any ideas? Heh.

Engineering

One of the most important places on any Starship. Now, some of you Techy-minded people should chime in here. There will be a horizontal warp core, two to three decks in height. There will also be a vertical intermix chamber, although it probably won't be very long. Engineering will also include a "dilithium chamber" (i.e., Star Trek II), access to the aux. bridge, and ... heck, I really don't know. Er. Dutronium storage tanks?

Sickbay

...is going to be very fun. There will be a Main Ward with three to four biobeds, a lab, a surgical suite, and a morgue for all those poor dead security men.

Cargo Bays

Two of them - one with direct access from the shuttlebay, the other featuring a door built into the "floor" of the deck allowing direct access from a starbase dock. As far as a cargo transporter is concerned, I'm considering either having one cargo bay equipped with one; or giving both cargo bays shared access to a chamber equipped with one.

Security Complex

Think Odo's office on DS9 (sort of). An office, with access to the armory, and a secured brig (password access door, physical barrier on the brig, reinforced by a force-field). There will be two Brig Cells, each capable of housing two prisoners. No decision on whether or not to incorporate a toilet into the cells, or a drain on the deck.

A second, smaller, armory will be located near the Transporter Rooms for Away Teams in a hurry. Also, weapons will be scattered throughout the ship in secured lockers.

Transporter Rooms

There will be two Transporter Rooms (One and Two). They will be placed in close proximity to each other (I envision a half-corridor which dead-ends, and the rooms on either side of that corridor). The two rooms will mirror each other. Each transporter room will be able to transport up to six people at one time. You know the access corridor off to the side in most transporter rooms? This leads to a shared "maintenance" area for technicians.

Shuttlebay

The ship's shuttle inventory will include one shuttle (modeled after the one in STV), and two shuttlepods (modeled after the escape pods, with impulse engines). The shuttlebay itself will only be one deck tall, so the shuttle control room will be on the main level. There will be an elevator capable of transporting either goods to the cargo bay, or a shuttlepod to a combination garage/maintence bay (which will be large enough to hold both shuttlepods).

Other Fun Stuff:

Airlocks

Three airlocks. Two will be port and starboard on D-Deck. These two will be designed for mating with another starship or starbase. The third airlock will be on A-Deck, facing the Bridge dome. This airlock will be equipped with space suits, and is intended to allow crew-members access to the hull.

Jeffries' Tubes

The only place I'm envisioning access tubes (at the moment) is through the nacelle struts, to allow engineering crew access to hard to reach areas of the ship.

Explosive Packets

Will be scattered under decks, in bulkheads, and through the hull. Some will be able to be selectively detonated (i.e., if you want to blow off the nacelles for any reason, detonate the packets in the struts), most will be tied into a timed-detonator controlled by the CO.

Pottys!

A selection of heads (bathrooms, for you landlubbers) will be provided across the ship to relieve officers and crew when they do not have time to get to the units available in their quarters.

Escape Pods!

Small, two to three-man capacity escape vehicles, scattered across the ship. There WILL (hopefully) be more escape pods than crew - I don't want this to be the USS Titanic! Explosive bolts will blow out sections of hull plating, allowing for the escape pods to, well, escape.

Torpedo Launcher

Again, picture the one on Reliant. Mounted above the ship on a pylon, the launcher will be feld in a style similar to a semi-auto weapon. Torpedoes are loaded from a magazine below the launcher. There may be an aft launcher, I'm not yet sure.

I think I may have left something out. Please, if I did, let me know. Thank you.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Oh -- and the table this is being constructed on measures 60' by 30' ... so, I'm hoping I can put a lot of detail into this ship!!!

Which, BTW, is the USS Okazaki, NCC-1960.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Yo! Thoughts?!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need help. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. triple post...kinda wierd, but for some reason the Miranda/related designs always apealed to me for some reason. Just the shape i guess. Or maybe cause they blow up so much [Big Grin]

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

More along the lines of ... "Gee, Snay, why don't you have a Physics lab in the science complex?" Or, "Gee, Snay, you need a [description] room on this thing ..."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
Which, BTW, is the USS Okazaki, NCC-1960.

I am honored, Sir!

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

"Gee Snay, you look like you might need to take a few endorsements from NASA, Pepsi and Nike to afford the costs of undertaking such a grandious project"

Actually I have a few thoughts:

Thats a LOT of stuff just for 4 decks...if you compare it to, say the defiant which, is deckwise, quite similar, they seems to only have the bare minimum, much less a gymnasium.

quote:

Main Bridge:

What are you doing for a "viewscreen"? Oh, and don't forget your manual control joystick [Wink]

quote:

Four Officer's Quarters

Two officers to a cabin, and a pair of cabins shares a head. Four people for one toilet. Woohoo!

Four Crew Quarters
You thought that was bad? Eight enlisted to a cabin, and (as above), a pair of cabins shares a (larger) head. So it's only eight guys to a toilet (since there are TWO)!

sounds like college all over again... [Frown]

quote:

Gymnasium

A room with mats. Maybe some exercise equipment if I can figure out how to make it.

Maybe a lego bike or motocycle. For ideas check out this set for reference. Its utilizes some equiptment designs you might find useful for your gymnasium or sickbay. Actually to save time I posted more relavent links in the sickbay section below

quote:

Science Complex

A series of labs for Astrophysics, Stellar Cartography, Planetary Biology and Geology, and ... any ideas? Heh.

You really cant do too much here can you? Lots of computer consols, some sort of astrometric viewscreen, some containment units, microscopes, etc.

quote:

Engineering

One of the most important places on any Starship. Now, some of you Techy-minded people should chime in here. There will be a horizontal warp core, two to three decks in height. There will also be a vertical intermix chamber, although it probably won't be very long. Engineering will also include a "dilithium chamber" (i.e., Star Trek II), access to the aux. bridge, and ... heck, I really don't know. Er. Dutronium storage tanks?

How can something be horizontally and yet still be going vertically 2 or 3 decks?? Also, if the ship is only 4 decks, a warp core that 50-75% the size of the hull in which it is contained seems hella HUGE.

quote:

Sickbay

...is going to be very fun. There will be a Main Ward with three to four biobeds, a lab, a surgical suite, and a morgue for all those poor dead security men.

Check these ideas out (for this and the Gym):

Not the greatest examples...but they make a good framework to start from.

Also, is there going to be some sort of kitchen or food slots/sequencers like we saw/see in TOS/Enterprise?

Oh, and I was thinking too....how about something like a computer core?!?!

Otherwise is sounds like quite an ambitious project, one that will probably consume the rest of your natural life....

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I knew I forgot about the computer core ... there is a galley (it's listed under "Rec Room", I think).

Re: the Warp Core. This is a movie-era ship, so there's the vertical warp core, and the horizontal intermix chamber.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

A couple other things...what are you doing for impulse engines, et al? Finally: water tanks, life support and an arboretum???

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps