Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sternbach: Gettin' Jiggy Widdit (The Intrepid-class, that is). (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Sternbach: Gettin' Jiggy Widdit (The Intrepid-class, that is).
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Planform is an aerospace term meaning the area of the wing. I'm not sure of any other definitions, though I would bet it was meant to relate to that in some way.

If we believe that a ship's warp field is based around the shape of the hull itself (as we all should), then the planform could refer to the area of the hull itself or at least that portion off which the field is projected.

In such a case, the SV could refer to the type of planform, or essentially, the type of hull. The Intrepid-class could be the 65th design of that particular type of ship.

Now type is up to anyone's guess. Could be scout, fast warp courier, capital ship, long range explorer, etc.

I'll try to dig out my AE 101 airplane project from last semester to see if I can get recollect some more details.

[ April 11, 2002, 12:31: Message edited by: OnToMars ]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are less than 65 canon/official classes that predate the Intrepid (I count about 50). A lot of these have unusually long lifespans, likely longer than what we'd thought so far (Enterprise establishes that one type of Klingon battlecruiser can last 225 years, so why not a Starfleet ship?).

It is very likely that the Oberths and Mirandas served as non-"starship class" ships even in the late 22nd century (the Grissom has the registry NCC-638), and that the smooth TOS design is not necessarily older, but more of a design variant (as evidenced by the similarity of NX-01 to the Excelsior/refit Constitution).

Boris

[ April 11, 2002, 14:20: Message edited by: Boris ]

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Planform-65, to me means the 65th planned starship form of 2361. Any modification based on this would come 65A-Z. Of course this gets confusing when 2362's 65 comes around, oh well...

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the SV-65 in 'Planform SV-65' means Study Vehicle 65, where it is the 65th study vehicle for the Intrepid Class.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe its just a random letter number combination Sternbach pulled off the top of his head

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Planform 9... from Outer Space ;o)

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SV-65 could mean alot though I will tend to agree it is Study/Ship Vehicle/Vessel Number 65. I find the number 65 right since we around 40 to 50 classes that are before the Intrepid. The additional ships could be failed designs, smaller less important ships, prototypes, and so on. To me, if they ever continue this way, it'll be a nice way of figuring out the ages of each class (if they get it right, seeing if they keep doing it, they might put the number for the Daedalus class SV 567)
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to throw in some more wood into the fire...

From my shiplist, I've counted 81 starship classes total, 59 of which were seen on-screen, 15 being conjectural, and 7 possible but unseen designs. And before anyone asks, the 7 PBU designs are:

Apollo (from Emissary unused footage)
Federation (From ST:TMP)
Zandura (Wreckage in ST:FC?)
Excelsior study model most resembling the NCC-2000 (TPTB say it's in BoBW, but I haven't found it yet)
The last three DS9 TM kitbashes.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:

From my shiplist, I've counted 81 starship classes total, 59 of which were seen on-screen, 15 being conjectural, and 7 possible but unseen designs. And before anyone asks, the 7 PBU designs are:

Excelsior study model most resembling the NCC-2000 (TPTB say it's in BoBW, but I haven't found it yet)

Well that's the possible but unseen designs covered, what about the 59 of which were seen on-screen and 15 conjectural. I'd be interested to know what they all are and look like.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, some classes such as the Daedalus class and possibily the Connie class might not follow the SV-xx format.

Also I strongly believe that the ships showed the Encyclopedia are either the kitbashes shown or small craft like the Danube or Oberths. They have to be really small in order for us not to see them, or even not be in any type of battle. Like transports, or cargo carriers.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or perhaps the fleet is just so damn big that we only a sliver of it. It is just coincedence that 80% of this sliver is made up of Excelsiors.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:

What about the Hermes/Saladin class (I can't remember which) that was mentioned in TMP?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yo, Obi Juan:

http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000171

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I hunkered down and went out to buy the mag. Here are the scans of the article.

http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/Intr1.jpg
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/Intr2.jpg
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/Intr3.jpg
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/Intr4.jpg
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/Intr5.jpg

[from the May 2002 issue of Star Trek: The Magazine, pp. 49-53]

BTW, the article says Voyager was the THIRD in the series built. WTF? I thought it had always been the second. (And this would make sense, considering the Bellerophon's reg is NCC-74705... [Roll Eyes] ) Ah well...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[ March 29, 2003, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the scans, man! [Big Grin]

Nice ships those design concepts. OK, the first concept is nice, the second concept is ugly. Maybe I'll doa 'what if'-series based on the design concepts published here, in the TNG and DS9TMs. We never got sideviews of those ships. And remind me to finish the Norway after sunday. Until then, I have so much things to do I really don't know where to start. [Roll Eyes]

Besides, what's your favourite from the TNGTM? While I think the ship with the nacelles in the front and some modules attached to the back would make an excellent TNG-freighter, My favourite is the ship with the long phylons (the ship with the squashed saucer just looks ugly, and the ship with the triangular saucer or whatever it is looks like the second concept from Sternbachs article, don't you think?)

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps