Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » ($) Ships in WYLB (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: ($) Ships in WYLB
Jamaharon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, (by the way I've been away for a while) so now the chapter has ended, the book closed. But, being the knitpickers we all are, we just have to identify the vessels seen in "What You Leave Behind".

When I think about it, it seems foolish to even look into the ship names and registries. The writers/producers/whatevers surely weren't paying attention to the technical side of things. Their main focus was on the emotional effect.

Speaking of the emotional effect, this really "got me where I lived". Now, twenty-three minutes past the final chapter, I have a weird feeling inside of me. I have learned so much from the show, and now part of me has been left behind, only to let a new chapter open. We'll see what comes next.

So...let's get crackin'!

-Chris

IP: Logged
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well really there wern't any new ships in WYLB. The entire battle was stock footage. I mean c'mon, the Sao Paulo had USS Defiant NX-74205 on the hull.

Hobbes

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very little of the battle was stock footage. They just didn't change the Defiant's texture map.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" - TMBG

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps not, but I don't appreciate the use of stock footage in the last episode either.

------------------
"Angels and Ministers of Grace, defend us"
-Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK... let's start with the "edities" (the modified stock footage)

In the same shot where the Defiant (with the NX-74205 reg.) does that little bank turn over a Galor and head for the back lines, on the far right of the screen we spot the back of a newly-added darkened Federation starsip, with a vertical impulse grill. I have a feeling it's *gasp* a Norway.... There's some more ships in this shot as well.. a Galaxy IIRC.

Additionally...

And extra attack fighter was added into the attack run on the Galor and gets sorta cleaved.

We see some warbirds added into a lot of the shots.

------------------
"A Star Wars picture that preaches against greed is a little like Bill Clinton in the pulpit for a chastity-begins-at-home campaign."

-Rex Murphy on Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

Trinculo
Ex-Member

There is the shot of a Miranda Class starship being chased by a Breen starship. BTW, this is my favorite VFX shot of the episode.
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were any ship names in WYLB.

------------------
"This should provide adequate sustenance for the Doctor Who marathon"
-Fat Sarcastic Comic Book Guy

Jamaharon
Ex-Member

I know that there was a lot of stock footage in WYLB. That wasn't the original question. I asked if there were some, if any registires given by the production staff.

Some new shots were the first battle scene with the Excelsior class ship getting it's bridge fried. Then we had the two new Nebula Class ships, and the scene Trinculo mentioned, along with the shot of the the Galaxy firing phasers from the strips.

That gives us at least five new ships. Perhaps not necessarily new ships, but some never seem before. If Paramount didn't release any names or registries, then who cares.

------------------
Welcome to the United Federation of Planets! I am the Risian LCARS system. Please, enjoy your stay, and if you need further assistance, you may access me at any of our terminals.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They mentioned Attack Wings 64 and 65 as well as the Romulan flagship, but I don't recall any names.

I'm with Frank; what's reused isn't that important (and isn't a whole lot compared to the new and edited stuff), but the least they could do is change the Defiant's registry on the texture map.

*sniggers* I'm sure Stipes would be more than willing to provide us with names.

------------------
Doctor: "Run along. I'll reattach any severed limbs. Just don't misplace them." (Voyager: "The Killing Game")

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe we could convince him that, if he gives us the names, we won't kill him for not changing the São Paulo's textures... :-)

------------------
"Flying Thompson's Gazelle of the Yard!"
-Inspector Fox, the Arguement Clinic sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not the S�o Paulo, though. It's the Defiant.

------------------
Doctor: "Run along. I'll reattach any severed limbs. Just don't misplace them." (Voyager: "The Killing Game")

Deep6
Ex-Member

Yes, the name's the same, but they neglected to change the registry on the hull.

------------------
"Well yeah ok thats just about the most awful thing I've ever seen"

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poor USS Majestic. We got to see her die again. If you command a Miranda, don't get near the Defiant.

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

Jamaharon
Ex-Member

Okay. It wasn't the USS Majestic. Yes, it was stocked footage. Just because it was stock footage, doesn't mean they are the same ships. Sorry, I'm just in need of the ship names (especially the Nebula Class') for a site.

------------------
Welcome to the United Federation of Planets! I am the Risian LCARS system. Please, enjoy your stay, and if you need further assistance, you may access me at any of our terminals.

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew the stock footage was there, but it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the show. Most of the battle was seen from the bridge and through the battle damage the Defiant took

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #1 : Always try to help a friend redeem himself from a past mistake.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps