Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Is the Gage a Miranda Class Starship? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is the Gage a Miranda Class Starship?
newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is a rather silly question; however, I feel I must ask it. At the official web site StarTrek.Com, the Gage is identified as a sister ship to the USS Saratoga and was in the attack wave led by the USS Kyushu. Can we take this statement at face value?
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who writes these STARTREK.COM articles? There are a bunch more of Library entries that have strange facts. They could be just wrong, but could they actually have reliable sources?

IIRC, the Encyclopedia states the Gage was an Apollo class.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it named after Phineas Gage - the railway worker who survived a metal pole through his frontal lobe - and lived for years after it - paving the way into brain research?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, one of the people responsible for the initial creation of the battle sequence described the USS Gage as being composed of USS Reliant parts. Perhaps there is some truth in the article.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Was it named after Phineas Gage - the railway worker who survived a metal pole through his frontal lobe - and lived for years after it - paving the way into brain research?

That sure would be creepy: Imagine their development patch!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! CLASSIC!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bloke with a warp nacelle through his head, presumeably...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's better than naming the Gage after the British General in charge of the occupation of Boston in 1775... [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wasn't an occupation, it was our city!!! [Big Grin] [Razz]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
It wasn't an occupation, it was our city!!! [Big Grin] [Razz]

"was"?

[Smile]

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thieving Yankies! [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Who writes these STARTREK.COM articles? There are a bunch more of Library entries that have strange facts. They could be just wrong, but could they actually have reliable sources?

Yeah, I gave up on them. Can't be bothered to do any basic research...? Seems the make a lot of it up on the fly or maybe they asked the janitor at Paramount's executive offices....
quote:
IIRC, the Encyclopedia states the Gage was an Apollo class.

You are correct, sir.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at least according to Rob Legato, the Gage was indeed a variation on the Miranda design. See this thread for the information.

And BTW, the ship was named (as MunitiaeMan said, though I'm not sure why he thinks it's not a good name) for General Thomas Gage, commander-in-chief of British forces in North America during the Revolutionary War.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And BTW, the ship was named (as MunitiaeMan said, though I'm not sure why he thinks it's not a good name) for General Thomas Gage, commander-in-chief of British forces in North America during the Revolutionary War.
Uhh, yeah. The same reason why there's no USS (Benedict) Arnold, or any USS (George) Burnside? Because not only was he a hated leader in charge of a military occupation, but he also got chased out by those people. Not exactly the most successful military mind deserving of a ship-naming in my book...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm mid-way through building a Apollo class starship right now based on the ASDB concept (the Miranda-ized Ambassador: sans pod though).
No way do we need yet another damn Miranda variant!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps