Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Is this a bow shot of a New Orleans Class frigate? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Is this a bow shot of a New Orleans Class frigate?
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Nothing "light" about that elephant. The first step in all Galaxy kitbashing is to alter the scale of the saucer, i.e. to change the number and size of portholes on it. Otherwise, you get a ship as big as Picard's, and he'll be very, very annoyed at you.

Timo Saloniemi

Picard was the one who called the Drake a "light cruiser" in the dialog...which it really the only canon info on that ship. The "warp 3" thing is questionable...imo.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain Picard never called the Drake a light cruiser. The individual who did was the hologram of the Drake's captain. This captain also said his ship had a top speed of warp 3.
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I believe it was the opening log entry that states the Enterprise is looking for "the Light Cruiser USS Drake". It was Captain Picard.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

darkwing_duck1
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for darkwing_duck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
 -
New Orleansish, but not.. it appears to be a photoshopping of a Galaxy photo.. note the non-NO looking upswept pylons? this is an interesting proposal for the Wambundu-class **grumblegrumble low registry to be in the Galaxy family grumblegrumble**

No, that's a NO, allright. The whatever it is on the bottom and the no-neck give it away...there is a pic of the NO in both the Encyclopedia AND the Chronology, and that's it.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the N.O. model is quite a bit diffrent but in the same configuration. Less ventral windows (as pointed out).
Except the nacelle pylons: from that perspective we would see the pylons higher and the nacelles would be a bit farther apart.
Somebody did a chop job on a Galaxy to try and make the N.O. from a new pespective.
A simmlar shot of the real N.O. model is here:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/neworleans/neworleans-ency2-bottom.jpg
Not a bad card, though a bit off. They did'nt add the botton "pod" at all: they just dropped in a black box to represent the pods opening and got away with it!
Crafty.
Beats the hell out of the Last Unicorn Games version by a mile. [Wink]

Still should'nt be the Drake though. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S.-Ravenstar Studios is making a model of the N.O. this year in both 1400th and 2500th scales!
I can not wait.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wished we had seen more of the New Orleans. She is a very good looking ship.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SoundEffect:
No, I believe it was the opening log entry that states the Enterprise is looking for "the Light Cruiser USS Drake". It was Captain Picard.

Yup, once again the only canon info on that ship. [Razz]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Adm_Amit
Member # 1046

- posted      Profile for Adm_Amit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must agree that it's a shame that no real on-screen time was given to the New Orleans-class starship in any of the series or the movies. The ship looks like it could perform greatly during ship to ship space battles.

--------------------
Amit =/\=

"Imagination is More Important Than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd agree that that isn't a New Orleans class. Jason is right... they just slapped a black box on the bottom. They were probably looking at a pic of the New Orelans when they did this, but keep in mind how small these cards are. Probably about half the size of that scan, if memory serves.

As for those LUG ships... all the top views are decent... but what cooky brand of crack were those guys snorting when they did the side views. I mean, geez... had they ever actually *watched* star trek? Interestingly, the top view of the Rigel bears a striking resemblance to the Saber and the Deneva looks hella like the Steamrunner. When did that book come out?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After first contact. [Wink]

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can't be the NO-class. First of all, the ship was battle-damaged and those Encyclopedia-pictures were probably made before they did that to her. And I highly doubt they have two models. And even if they do have two of them, one damaged, the other one in the Encyclopedia, this can't be one of them. Look at the window configuration of the "real" NO-class. The size of the saucer-row isn't right, and the Encyclopedia-NO clearly has two rows of windows on the lower side of the engineering section while this one has three. And there are no escape pods on the saucer-rim.
Agreed, the hull/saucer connection an the pen-pod look convincing, but the details aren't right. Either this is a photoshop kitbash (the pod looks like it has been copied and pasted from somwhere, wrong grey) or someone kitbashed a real Galaxy-class kit without paying attention to those details.

Adm_Amit
Member # 1046

- posted      Profile for Adm_Amit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ship was obviously kitbashed but it is clearly seen that not tooo much attention was really placed on the details of making the "wambundu class". The people at Decipher probably didn't care too much on putting time and effort to make a new ship for a card. They just slapped something together that could be easily be passed up as a new starship.

--------------------
Amit =/\=

"Imagination is More Important Than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a photoshopped job plain and simple. I've been a model maker half my life and that is not a model, (besides the original Galaxy Class photo). That is a well known publicity photo of the Enterprise-D. Even the shadows and highlights are in identical places. This was hastily done.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no comment.

-

(Does anyone have the right font?)

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps