Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Oberth class USS Valiant? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Oberth class USS Valiant?
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was capturing some images from an old video related to Phase II and in the same program there were an interview with Bill George and during it there was an odd insert shot of this...

-

It appears to be in a plexiglass box at ILM.

I apologize if this is old hat, but I thought I'd share.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... well, it's not a filming model. At most, it appears to be a concept model. But it's an interesting picture.
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Hmmm... well, it's not a filming model. At most, it appears to be a concept model. But it's an interesting picture.

Possibly. The molding looks a little final for a concept, not to mention all the portholes drilled out for fibre optics (presumably). Curiouser and curiouser.

And I should have titled the topic "Oberth Class Valiant, as there's no USS legend on the model.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it doesnt look like THE filming model though.. i think there are a few details 'off' but i could be mistaken. if this was a concept ship that was labeled Valiant, it probably means that the various sources for info about the Valiant labeled Oberth were referring to this one, which, if it is a prototype or stand-in for the actual model, mightn't have been filmed, with or without the Valiant label. does this make the Valiant appearing in an actual production that much less likely?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the study model for the actual ship design.
Several study models were built for STIII including three Excelsiors.
The scale is diffrent on the study model: if it was used at that scale, the ship would be about 300 meters long.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Valiant I saw was the actual model used in the production of the series and films.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely not that model though: Look at how thin the pylons to the secondary hull are on that study model.
This one was probably used as a stand in during the VFX placment shots.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TheYoshinator
Member # 1066

- posted      Profile for TheYoshinator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Thats the study model. I remeber it from way back when they were doing specials on the Making of ST:III.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is supposedly an Oberth model at the Sydney Planet Hollywood. I've never been there, I live in Brisbane - but I saw it on some little clip when it opened a few years ago... it is hanging from the ceiling.

I always wondered how they would get the model for that when they would surely keep it at Paramount for future use. I guess it's a copy or one of these three originally built for STIII?

I don't think there is anyone from Sydney on here - to verify what it is. Dax is in Perth, Daryus Aden is in Melborne - or Victoria at least.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that Planet Hollywood� commissioned various Trek models for different locations. They probably went to someone like Greg Jein and asked him to build three or four of x ship and then put one of each of them in different stores. I've heard tale of two different refit 'E's' in Planet Hollywood� locations at the same time, which is where I draw my conclusion from.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't their some story in Treklore about one of the original filming E-D models (the 6' or 8'er?) that was lost for many a year and was finally relocated in one of those theme resturants (such as 'Planet Hollywood') near the kitchen, all covered in cooking grease? Where did I hear that...like the TNG S.2 DVD bonus features set?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact that these Planet Hollywood ship models may be purpose-built might have some bearing on the relevance of the age-old Trinculo debate.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
Isn't their some story in Treklore about one of the original filming E-D models (the 6' or 8'er?) that was lost for many a year and was finally relocated in one of those theme resturants (such as 'Planet Hollywood')

Indeed. I'm pretty sure it was the 4' E-D miniature anyway.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, yes, nonetheless, it seemed to be a big thing for them to recover it after so long.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Mabye they'll uncover Picard's chair from Nemesis on day.

....but they'd better have 'em a search warrant!
Prahaps i've said too much already...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps