Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Oberth class USS Valiant? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Oberth class USS Valiant?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about that sketch of the inside of Spacedock? I don't quite remember but I think the Excelsior in it looked a bit like this Oberth concept?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I scanned that sometime ago. Can't find it now.

But it didn't look like that so-called concept sketch. I think they are more like badly drawn artwork. Or at least done without much reference.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spacedock looks like one of the "Art Of Star Trek" study modles & the "proposed Enterprise redesign" could in fact have been a stylization of one of the flattish Excelsior models.

You need to think about visualization angles.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that those schematics in the first poster were probably based on single poor photos of each ship, maybe of study models, from deceptive angles. I remember doing the same kind of thing myself.
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
The Surya, the Detroyat, the Coventry, and the Ptolemy...

Nothing new (or good) in taht chart.
Personal taste, obviously. [Wink]
quote:
I could work with that strange Oberth variant though.
I doubt those were "in progress" anything, but rather poor renderings of limited refrences.
I never saw anything that matches those supposed "in progress designs" for Spacedock or the Oberth. [/qb]

And of course, since you've not seen it, they can't possibly exist! [Eek!]

Not. [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
What about that sketch of the inside of Spacedock? I don't quite remember but I think the Excelsior in it looked a bit like this Oberth concept?

You mean this?

-

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm sure that sorry poster was nothing but bad art and had no official tie with the design process.
I've seen all the other movie concept art for years and have over a dozen Trek ship refrence sites bookmarked and none of them have ever had that silly image.
Prove me wrong, Jeff.

You just like the "antiquated look" of those drawings. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
i'm sure that sorry poster was nothing but bad art and had no official tie with the design process.
I've seen all the other movie concept art for years and have over a dozen Trek ship refrence sites bookmarked and none of them have ever had that silly image.
Prove me wrong, Jeff.

I'll do my best. [Wink]

Point being, stuff surfaces that was "forgotten" all the time. You don't know that those drawings weren't really made based off of a set of study drawings done in pre-production, do you?

Anyhow, take a look at the pics contained in this thread from TrekBBS. I've never seen them before yesterday and they help to illustrate my point.

Avenger class blueprint origins

Not exactly "lost pics", but they've never shown up in any of the books I own w/photo's. You just never know what is out there that was never documented properly for public consumption....
quote:
You just like the "antiquated look" of those drawings. [Wink]
Actually, I don't like those drawings at all. Why I passed them up twice for less than $5 a pop when I've seen them at Con's.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But you DO still like the Plotmey and Destryat ships, so you've already proven that you're clinically insane. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Mad]
Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
[Mad]

"...now with even LESS content!"

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Griffworks
Member # 1014

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
[Mad]

Don't hate, articulate!

[Big Grin]

Griffworks
Member # 1014

To bring this thread back on-track....

I've not yet received a response over at TrekBBS. I also did a Google search, but to no avail. Mostly a bunch of "Yorktown" and "Yorktown II" apartments and condos.

Oh, well. I guess the film must have never been completed. I have a theory that Paramount shut them down after reading the article in "Starlog" magazine. I have an email pending to George Takei thru the contact page given at his website. Maybe that will give us some answers...?

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TAKEI!!!

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Griffworks
Member # 1014

God bless you! [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps