Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Spacedock Realization... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Spacedock Realization...
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheYoshinator:
I seriously doubt that they spent a bunch of money by building another model, such as a dreadnaught, just for that tarvel pod scene.

Well, when I said "It could be a dreadnought", I was pretty much joking. Y'know, sarcasm? I realize they wouldn't have spent money just to make a dreadnought, no matter how much us "fanboys" would like it.

Glad we could keep you amused, tho.... [Roll Eyes]

kmart
Member # 1092

- posted      Profile for kmart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember mixing it up with somebody over that 'ledge' about 15 months back on trekbbs or trekweb, and one poster, to my utter surprise, came up with an enhanced image that certainly looked more like a ship than a structural element.

At the time, nobody could figure out what the ship might be, but one guess was that the 'ledge' model, if it IS a ship, is a complete or partial prototype for the MERCHANTMAN or some other throwaway bg ship. ILM built study models for several ships in III, which is attested to by some pics in ART OF TREK and, so I'm told, in the supplement on the newer DVD, so if you combine those possibilities with the Phase II stuff (god knows how they wound up with those!), there are a lot of mixNmatch possibilities.

I've read interviews with Scott Farrar that indicate the ships in spacedock had to be shot separately since none of them scaled, but I wonder if he is really only talking about the shuttles and E and EX. Since the Phase 2 thing is conveniently half-tucked away behind a structural element and the ledge/ship/whatsis is also affixed to the structure, there'd be no need to shoot them as separate elements, especially as they don't look like they are loaded with lights.

The fact that no mention is made of these other ships in Cinefex or Enterprise Incidents or CFQ or anywhere else that I've come across seems kinda surprising to me (I've never seen the American Cinematograhper on III, so I don't know about the coverage there), given the film got pretty extensive tech coverage in those magazines. I've interviewed both Farrar and Bill George a few times, and they were always very forthcoming with that kind of insider tidbit, so it seems surprising that more hasn't surfaced on these mystery ships (to push the 'mystery ship' analogy, it'd be great to see the old UFO Leif Erikcson Mystery Ship turn up in the background some time, though I imagine some folks would think it was a submarine refit.)

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
C'mon, this isn't the Carebear forum....you can say "ass" on here. Ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass.......

Hey, quit saying "ass" in there.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to be a little pedantic...

While the study model seen in the Spacedock is ST3 might have been considered for Phase II, it seems more likely that it was originally a Planet of Titans design study, as it's clearly based on the designs from the Ken Adam/Ralph McQuarrie work on Phillip Kaufman's aborted Trek film.

It DOES look as though said ship is stuck right to the spacedock model in that shot. The lighting matches way better than the light on the Enterprise, Excelsior or the shuttles.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well whatever the case, someone took the time to put it in the film and, moreless, "pre-TNG-'in-joke'-it" into the movie....you would think someone involved in the SFx would come out and say somethign about it...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not necessarily, have you heard any of the graphic people from DS9 say that they made characters from Red Dwarf members of the government in 21st Century San Francisco?
Coz they did.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

kmart
Member # 1092

- posted      Profile for kmart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
Just to be a little pedantic...

While the study model seen in the Spacedock is ST3 might have been considered for Phase II, it seems more likely that it was originally a Planet of Titans design study, as it's clearly based on the designs from the Ken Adam/Ralph McQuarrie work on Phillip Kaufman's aborted Trek film.

Oh yeah, ABSOLUTELY it is PLANET OF THE TITANS. But everybody I know seems to run all pre TMP stuff together in their minds, regardless of the fact that there were all these designers (Ken Adam and Joe Jennings) and directors (Phil Kaufman & Bob Collins) coming and going before Wise & co.

I'm helping a guy who writes for CFQ, Ross Plesset, with some research for a PHASE II article for FILMFAX (he did interviews with Jennings and several others), and I hope that will address a few of the errors/omissions in the PHASE II book. Unfortunately Paramount has not been forthcoming with photo releases -- ANY photo releases -- so it may be a little on the dry side without images. Too bad, we'd love to have seen pics of Bob Baker's marionette probes that were supposed to invade E from vger in the IN THY IMAGE pilot script. Apparently Abel axed all the marionettes when he took over so much of the operation after getting the vfx assignment.

--------------------
Achievement is its own reward; pride obscures it.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps