Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Federation Cloaking Technology (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Federation Cloaking Technology
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Which, if TPTB wanted to exploit it, would be another nice real-world parallel for the 2000s audiences. The Romulan Star Empire could be like North Korea, within striking distance of Seoul so that no matter how mighty an army goes against the North, its victory will be pyrrhic at best.

The "Lost Years" novels all sound really promising. Anybody read "Serpents Among the Ruins" yet?

Timo Saloniemi

djewell
Member # 1111

- posted      Profile for djewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The impact would be more dangerous and important if the Romulans had just revealed their new WOMD. Then the Feds would get real serious about ending the war, especially due to the proximity of Earth to Romulus.

--------------------
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

-Einstein

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got "Serpents..." yesterday, and I'm about halfway through it right now.

David George's writing style is kind of heavy-handed in places, and the prologue is almost unreadable thanks to all his alliteration. Once it picks up, though, it turns into a pretty durn good story. Let me know if you want spoilers, and I'll start a new thread.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

djewell
Member # 1111

- posted      Profile for djewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to buy it yesterday, but I was all out of money. My brother can be so cheap sometimes [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

-Einstein

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're 16. Get a job and stop moaning.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*laughs and points*
ha ha...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by djewell:
They were probably desperate, though I couldn't imagine why. If they really really really wanted to end it, then they would have given it up like that *snaps*. I wonder what the Romulans lost in their negotiations.

Romulans have to wear 10 lb weights in those silly shoulderpads and sport Moe haircuts as long as the treaty is in effect.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Syzlak?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finished "Serpents" last night. The reason given for the Treaty of Algeron is plausible enough, although the mechanism by which cloaks tie into it all is a bit convoluted.

George sure gets mileage out of the events. A more economical writer could tell the story with a third of the page count. And George trips on his cleverness once or twice - like when saying that Romulan ships are powered by quantum singularities. Sure, they might have been, even in 2311. But nobody in Starfleet ought to know that. Well, people like Harriman and Vaughn might. But not the entire E-B crew.

It warms the heart to see that George held the ST Star Charts in one hand while typing with the other, BTW. And he's not just copying: he added the whole Foxtrot thing, when the Charts only have Quebec, Romeo, Sierra, Tango, Gamma, Delta and Epsilon... Clever boy.

One hell of a turn on the concept of the Tomed Incident, really. And frighteningly plausible, as long as we buy into the concept of Starfleet having James Bond style superagents capable of pulling that off.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps