Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ More Anomalous Tech! ["Anomaly" Spoilers] (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ More Anomalous Tech! ["Anomaly" Spoilers]
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, what outfits are from that movie again? I thought it was their jumpsuits. But, are you saying that the EVA suits they were wearing were from The Core as well? I mean, I did notice that the helmets were different.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The EVA outfits were apparently from "The Core". Never saw the film, but if the helmets are new, then I guess it's not completely ripped off. What do you need an EVA suit in a ship deisnged to plow through molten rock, anyway?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant that the MACO helmets were different than the regular Starfleet helmets. I've no idea what anything from The Core looked like.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Simon ... totally off-topic. What happened to that "Trial of the Female Shapeshifter" fic of yours?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Wow. Well, it never really got past the first page or so, and an outline. Everytime I sat down to tinker with it I thought "You know, I could tell a story about my own characters and potentially gain fame and fortune." Plus, I am very lazy. Anyway, it tied in with What SS Thinks Should Happen After DS9.

I had another, more modern idea for a fan fictionesque thing, that was, I thought, kind of neat, and in which the whole trial thing would appear. But, by writing fan fiction I almost inevitably ruin my chances of recieving a National Book Award and being invited to posh get-togethers in the Hamptons. So, it will probably never be. But, I don't know.

In the meantime, I am writing a story, available for public consumption, about some other things, in an effort to replace memories of Unnamed Early Bad Humorous Story with something "better." Uh, I guess I should plug it over in Designs and Creativity, or something.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AS regards the MACO rifles (and, yes, it is a stupid name, Military Assault Command Operations? Hello? Did someone from the Completely Unnecessary Naming Terminology department think that one up?), has it ever been explicitly stated in these two eps to date that they're plasma rifles, or are we just assuming they are because they fire bursts rather than beams? This is probaly just sloppy post-Voyager FX, not caring whether rifles fire beams or pulses; first the Enterprise rifles did it, next the MACO rifles will suddenly start firing beams.

I'd prefer it if they were Phase Rifles, but on the whole I'm not confident they'll bother to make it consistent. I should have just done a starships website like everyone else, it'd have been less stressful!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
The EVA outfits were apparently from "The Core". Never saw the film, but if the helmets are new, then I guess it's not completely ripped off. What do you need an EVA suit in a ship deisnged to plow through molten rock, anyway?

Mark

i wouldnt get in such a vehicle without one, actually

but it would ony be as a security blanket.. kind of like how astronauts wear helmets on reentry.. the charred helmets become just one more thing that has to be fished out of Farmer Moore's cornfield when something goes wrong

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contrary to some arguments here, I would think a special ops or Marine team today would use technology significantly behind "state of the art". These people need technology that assuredly works, and "state of the art" more often than not doesn't.

Of course, in a crisis like this, there is going to be a lot of improvising and experimenting and making-it-as-you-go. However, all that improvising and experimenting is likely to *lower* the odds of mission success rather than raise them. If the MACOs can eliminate at least one uncertainty factor, namely whether their guns are going to fire when the trigger is pulled, they will no doubt insist on something that has demonstrably worked for the past fifty years.

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the NX-01 was supposed to have the newest of the newest tech. So it would figure that the less important (just how many marines do you need on 22nd century Earth?) MACO have less advanced weapons.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the other hand, we could look at this like the developement of automatic pistols and automatic rifles. The Luger and simular guns came out pretty early, but the bugs to make automatic efficient and reliable for mass production took longer.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
As expected, a fun episode, for all the above reasons and more! Tons of tech, which we're gonna dig into straight away.

-Porthos, the anomaly detector! What, can he SMELL them coming? Are dogs in Trek latent telepaths? This is the first time we really have a pet like this (acknowledging Spot mostly as comic relief), but has anyone stopped to consider why dogs can do this?Mark

Yes - I'm reading a book at the moment called "Why dogs know when they're owners are coming home" or something like that.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps