Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Was the Oberth class "really" supposed to be the Grissom-type ship? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Was the Oberth class "really" supposed to be the Grissom-type ship?
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a problem with an Oberth being commissioned in 2363... actually I should say recomissioned. But I do have a problem with thinking that the NCC number is from 2363, the original comissioning should go back at least two or three decades. As for why an Oberth would have been built as late as 2350's--- don't ask me, perhaps it was brought out of mothballs like many ships during the Dominion War... but in this case it was for the Cardassian War? [Not to fight you dimwits, but to fill in where other ships had been called to the front]

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Jeez, people. If you've seen that painting from Probert's site, you could at least have read the caption. He created it to be the Hood, for the shot in "Encounter at Farpoint" where the two ships rendezvous over Deneb IV. Then the producers decided they wanted to go with a model instead.

--Jonah

That's right. I forgot it was on his site. I mostly think of it as the first gatefold in The Art of Star Trek, because he autographed my copy and corrected the caption.

I got an email from Andy today about that subject, and he sent me a drawing he'd done comparing all the Federation starships seen up to the point of Encounter at Farpoint, including his design for the Ambassador class, which he has at a length of 1,721 feet.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oo! Would you be willing to forward that drawing to me?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Oo! Would you be willing to forward that drawing to me?

--Jonah

Not without his permission...which I have asked for. But we'll see what he says.

He told me something else cool about his Ambassador design, but I'm not sure if I can spill the beans yet (hee hee).

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhhh....is the drawing detailed enough for me to build a physical model of?
That would rock....I'd even build one you could give to him!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something cool about the design??

If you stare at it long enough it looks like a naked female?

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell, that applies to most of the hero ships. [Wink]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Ohhhh....is the drawing detailed enough for me to build a physical model of?
That would rock....I'd even build one you could give to him!

No, the drawing Andy sent isn't very detailed. He said he did do a more detailed elevation of the Ambassador class that was used to make the model for the Observation Lounge, and must've been the basis for his painting.

This drawing, which I'm assuming is mid-1987 vintage lists the ship lengths as:

U.S.S. Galaxy (2,108' O.L.) [O.L. = Overall Length]
U.S.S. Ambassador (1,721' O.L.)
U.S.S. Excelsior (1,531' O.L.)
U.S.S. Enterprise (1,000' O.L.) [refit]
FSV Grissom (395' O.L.) [FSV=Federation Science Vessel]
Bird of Prey (360' O.L.)
U.S.S. Reliant (765' O.L.)

That was his understanding of the vessel sizes when TNG first started.

So, keping this on topic, is 395' about what the Oberth class is assumed to be, or has it upsized like the BOP?

--------------------

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
395' = 120m

Why does that number fill me with dread?

[Wink]

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL The Oberth Class 'Defiant'! (or is that Valiant Class 'Oberth'!?!) [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no relation to the fabled Oberth Class 'Valiant' sung of in times of olde?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That would be not only interesting, but very useful. We could even possibly use Sternbach's proposed design for the Pegasus... I think with the exception of the Vico, all the "Oberths" we saw in TNG were supposed to be some other ship -- the Tsiolkovski, the Biko, the Pegasus...
Yeah, I had forgotten about that...I believe the Biko was mentioned as being a freighter, although they used the good old Cochrane stock footage (and was listed in the 'pedia as Olympic class). Then there was an ep where Wesley returned to the Enterprise "by shuttle," yet again TPTB used the Oberth stock footage.

I think that even in "Realm of Fear" where we saw new footage of the Oberth Yosemite, it was supposed to be a "Yosemite class" ship, wasn't it? Or was that just for the Trieste?

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Hell, I don't know. I've lost track of when the ship mission display on the E-D's conference room screen went from being Merced-class to Yosemite-class -- or vice versa...

--Jonah

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okuda told me he change the class of the Trieste on the display as a result of the Yosemite's appearance, in order to avoid confusion. I'll see if i can dig up the e-mail...

EDIT: here.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps