Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Estimating a ship's crew complement! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Estimating a ship's crew complement!
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
There are 7 along each side of the saucer just inboard of the phaser strips (14). Inboard of the sixth one back on each side is another (16). And there are 4 directly behind the bridge (20).

Ack! So that's 20 pods on decks 1-3, with zero for the remaining decks and engineering hull. Hope that baby's got a good shuttle, or else it's "haha! screw you, engineering guys!". [Wink]

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did WtBB specify that was all the kids? its possible the Aldeans didnt kidnap all the children on the ship (unless the episode specifies that implicitly somewhere).. i remember Picard briefing the parents and there were very few people there...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont think that represented all the Enterprise's children: just the very few that had their kids kidnapped by the (also very few) planet's would-be parents.

So....that planet was in Federation space?
It's chock full o' technological secrets for the Fed to ste....er...."trade" for.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MIght have to break out the DVDs... But for some reason I can't imagine a scene where Dr. Crusher bursts onto the bridge and cries "Jean-Luc! The Aldeans have abducted A FEW of our children!".

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Bev was prone to hamming it up in first season.
She says something like "They've (gasp!)taken our children!!!!"

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition, there were a few classroom scenes in later seasons, with Alexander and some of the other kids-of-the-week, and in all those, there were close to a dozen or so children, all of the same approximate age group. That suggests there were several dozen kids or more on the ship.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno - I'd always thought that the classroom we saw was the ONLY one there was. In episodes like "Rascals", all the kids who weren't able-bodied adults were in that one classroom, which again seemed to be about a dozen INCLUDING the munchkinized crew. I still think that there are only a handful of kids on the ship at any one time. Since kids seem to be considered adults by their mid-teens in the TNG era, they wouldn't need a classroom for much more than primary school (through sixth grade or so).

Perhaps we need a second opinion here... Is anyone on the TrekBBS forums? Rick Sternbach would probably have a better answer for us.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One would expect that a crew in exces of 1000, having families aboard, would have at least half-a-dozen children of ever age group

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
I dunno - I'd always thought that the classroom we saw was the ONLY one there was. In episodes like "Rascals", all the kids who weren't able-bodied adults were in that one classroom,

Graphics in that episode called it "classroom 6" though, or something similar. That implies to me that there are, say, 6 or more classrooms.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

The episode (though I shudder to recall it) The Child shows several small children in elementary school and mentions "a litter of puppies" as though it's not an uncommon occurance.
If dogs are breeding freely on board, I imagine the crew is as well.

Also, the first episode with (shudder) Alexander attending class has yet another group of elementary school kids attending class.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
If dogs are breeding freely on board, I imagine the crew is as well.

Right. Now, you realise that there is a LARGE difference in the reasons why humans mate, compared with why dogs mate?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

You havent been to many clubs lately have you?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Yes, although obviously not the same clubs you go to. Are you saying that all those people are there because they want to reproduce?

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I'm sure they're in there for the food and music.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Are you saying that all those people are there because they want to reproduce?"

Well, maybe not to reproduce, but for something a little more... carnal. B)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps