Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Estimating a ship's crew complement! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Estimating a ship's crew complement!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Which is my point.

*sigh*

Dogs have sex to reproduce. If a load of dogs are shagging, puppies are the likely result. Sure, the dogs are possibly only doing it because they enjoy it, but biologically, it's only aim is to further the species.

Humans do not just have sex for reproduction. They have it for fun. They often use items which stop said reproduction from being able to take place, so that only the fun is left. No other species does that. The aformentioned people in clubs aren't there because they want to start up a family. They want to have sex. In humans, unlike other species, the two things are different.

Hence, dogs breeding freely does not mean that humans are reproducing left, right and centre.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I can't believe we needed that discussion.

Back to the point of children on board, we saw in Generations LaForge and another engineer helping out some (what seemed) lost kids as well (what are they doing running around?). Anyone remember if that suggested there were more? I always got the impression that there were more kids spanning multiple ages.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More to the point, what were they doing in the secondary hull?
I was under the impression that all of the quarters and community facilities were in the saucer section.
Same goes for Beverly and her patients.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always wondered about that as well.

My explanation for the kids is that they were on a field trip, and hid in a corner when the battle started, thus they had to be evacuated when the saucer sep came. As for the patients, there would've been a lot of casualties in engineering during the battle -- and doesn't it make sense to have a secondary sickbay in the secondary hull for times when the ship is separated? Obviously, the casualties were taken to the secondary sickbay and then had to be moved when the ship separated.

Just my rationalization, anyway. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Bev was just running triage in the secondary hull's sickbay (as that's where all the casualties were racking up- thanks to that dork Geordi).

The kids could have been having a holodeck pick-nic for all we know.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The kids could have been having a holodeck pick-nic for all we know.
Except there are no holodecks in the secondary hull. The field trip sounds like a better idea.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of which, when Picard orders saucer sep in "E@F", isn't the next scene of security guys directing crewmembers (and children!) through engineering?

I always thought that the ship's "community" (as someone termed them) resources were in the saucer section, so it's always sort of begged the question, "Uh, what?" And didn't we see some alien entity get ready to blast the ship to pieces because it had befriended some little girl who (like the other kiddies) wasn't allowed in certain sections?

It makes sense for the Enterprise to have certain redundant features ... sickbay, etcetra. The earliest dialogue that we have regarding sickbay in regards to its location actually suggests it is in the stardrive section, re: "Arsenal of Freedom", although a more realistic view is that sickbay spans both sections (or that there are two different sickbays). Given that sickbay is almost certainly larger than the filming set (i.e., surgical suites, isolation wards, dentist booth, whatever else you might need), I'm just going to shut up now because I forget where I was going with this.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mabye sickbay runs one deck beneath the battle bridge and into the saucer from there: that way there would only need to be some kind of lowering bulkhead when the ship seperates and paitents would only need to be moved to the next room instead of several decks down.
It's be pracical to place it there because of the proximity to all three shuttlebays as well.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only seen the TNG Blueprints once, but I do recall that the main sickbay was supposed to be a huge facility, which actually took over most of deck 10, IIRC.
We only saw a very small fraction of it of course.
I can't recall seeing a secondary sickbay in the blueprints of the engineering section.
Although that doesn't disprove the possibility, naturally.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My blueprints are packed up... But a secondary hull sickbay could have been an extra modification made shortly before her destruction; the blueprints didn't show the new bridge set in the movie, for example.

However, the blueprints DO show a lot of crew quarters in the secondary hull. People may be confusing things with the Shane Johnson book, which states that the E-nil moved all its crew quarters to the saucer section alone for better separation operations. THere has never been anything said in the show that the E-D kept everyone exclusively in the suacer section.

And I don't think anyone's about to count the number of crew quarters in the blueprints to see if a thousand people could fit in there. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "Arsenal of Freedom", when Riker, Picard, Tasha, Data and Crusher are beamed back aboard, there's a line which states that Dr. Crusher has been taken to sickbay. Remember - Geordi had seperated the ship. If there's no sickbay in the stardrive section, where did they send Beverly? And since the stardrive is supposed to be the combatant section, what sense does it make NOT to have a sickbay facility?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
However, the blueprints DO show a lot of crew quarters in the secondary hull. People may be confusing things with the Shane Johnson book, which states that the E-nil moved all its crew quarters to the saucer section alone for better separation operations. THere has never been anything said in the show that the E-D kept everyone exclusively in the suacer section.

The E-D deck chart list in the Encyclopedia, for example, says that there were quarters inside the ship's "neck." And remember that scene in "Heart of Glory" when Worf and the two Klingons were near the Battle Bridge and had that almost-hostage situation? That was in the secondary hull...

I'm guessing that there were some quarters located in the secondary hull, and that there were probably some kids living in those regions too. So they had to go up twenty decks to get to the community sections? There are apartment buildings that big in New York City, I'm sure. [Razz]

They just happened to have gathered that big crowd of kids together in "Generations" so they could have the tearjerker scene of those poor kids being rushed through the halls and that little girl could lose her teddy. That's all. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sickbay is on Deck 12 and spans a quarter of it.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
I'm guessing that there were some quarters located in the secondary hull, and that there were probably some kids living in those regions too.
I would disagree with part of that. It makes sense that there would be crew quarters in the secondary hull - if the ship is seperated for an extended time, where would the engineering crew sleep? But I don't think that children were housed in the secondary hull - in the event of a seperation, the ideal would be to have as much of the crew in the section they needed to be in, without having to have a mad dash around the ship. If the engineering crews were quartered primarily in the stardrive section, then come time for "saucer sep", they wouldn't have to worry about where they were going to sleep that night.

Re: "Heart of Glory" ... there are some decks, IIRC, which span both stardrive and saucer sections. Just because the "hostage" situation took place near the battle bridge, it does not mean that it took place in the secondary hull. As I recall, the Battle Bridge is on deck 8. Not hard to rationalize that around the next corner there's a corridor to the secondary hull which would be closed off by bulkheads.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we rationalize that the secondary hull is where the Engineering crew is housed, then those engineers with families could be down there too. Except Geordi of course, who was apparently living on deck two along with Worf and Data. I suppose exceptions could be made for family people.

Regardless, manually climbing UP a dozen or two floors to evacuacte would really suck. Maybe they'd do something smart like dial back on the artificial gravity in situations like that.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps