Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Estimating a ship's crew complement! (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Estimating a ship's crew complement!
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We don't actually find out where Geordi's quarters are (deck number, that is, although I'm aware of where the blueprints put him. I severely disagree with that. They did it to match ceiling structures of the quarters set with features on the Deck 2 exterior.) We did find out on "The Offspring" that Data's quarters are on Deck 17, which would put him on the secondary hull, but there's never a mention of it later on in the series and then all of a sudden in the blueprints BAM!, Data's on deck 2. Since he was on Deck 17, and so, presumably was Spot, how did spot get himself out of the secondary hull to wind up in a saucer section cargo bay on Veridian III??

The part of the crash that I cringed at more than the children in the secondary hull, was the supposedly 'Transparent Aluminum" windows shattering as though they dramatically were made of glass.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Candy glass, at that. Moreover, I'm wondering why anyone would consider ANY room that has a window to the outside to be a safe room to sit in while crash landing...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would imagine that engineers with families would be housed in the saucer section. It just makes sense that the non-combatants would be housed in the section designed to carry them to safety -- if you need to seperate in a hurry, do you really want to waste more time making sure all the children and civilians have gotten onto the saucer?

"Can we seperate YET?"

"No, sir, Mr. Ringwald and his brats stopped at the toilet on deck 15..."

SoundEffect: are you CERTAIN re: "The Offspring" that it was Data's quarters and not his lab? Was it dialogue?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Data gets into the turbolift with Lal and I believe they were heading towards Data's quarters...if memory serves that's where the next scene takes place, not the lab. Don't have a reference to check. Data calls to the turbolift, "Deck 17".

--------------------
Stephen L.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the script for "The Offspring", Data says Deck Fifteen, and while you may have inferred that they were going to his quarters, there is no dialogue which supports any conclusion as to where they were going. Given other evidence (noteably Spot's location in "Generations" and other information regarding the location of Data' quarters), I think the strongest evidence supports the Deck Two location.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also as we see in Nemisis, Data's belongings also survied the crash, along with spot.
It is however possible that Data moved quarters at some point before Generations.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that it is considered canon, but the Interactive TNG Technical Manual also puts Data's quarters on Deck 2.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

SoundEffect
Member # 926

There was never any indication that there were any crew quarters on Deck 2 at all. The only thing we knew was on Deck 2 was the Officer's Dining Hall when Kurn was on board.

Even Picard's quarters were way down on Deck 8.

--------------------
Stephen L.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riker and Troi were also on Deck 8.

Crusher was on Deck 9 - Section 28.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which reminds me of a goof. In the episode where we first meet the Borg (and Sonya Gomez), Picard goes to his quarters to change his uniform after Gomez accidentally spills some hot chocolate on him. As he steps into the lift, he orders "Deck 9, Officers' Quarters". In fact, he even says it before he is completely in the lift.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Hmmm, maybe he was keeping some uniforms in Beverly's old quarters ... [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Theoretically, the officers' quarters could extend across quite a few decks, considering the famously elevated Starfleet officer-to-grunt ratio. And perhaps a centralized tailor shop is located on deck nine... (Although I do prefer that Bev's quarters idea!)

Frankly, I think deck 2 is big enough to hold berthing in addition to a mess hall. In fact, it's so big it desperately needs something more than a mess hall. And a "ready room" type arrangement for top officers would be just fine.

Perhaps Data is an exception, choosing to live in a relatively austere "ready room" instead of the more luxurious surroundings of the lower decks? And LaForge might have two cabins, one for his bridge duties and one for his later engineering role. It's not as if there would be a shortage of cabins aboard, so why not have more than one?

Timo Saloniemi

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why have more than one? You'd have to be one lazy bastard to want to avoid the effort of a turbolift ride. [Wink]

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True. But perhaps one was for when the ship was seperated.

And why did Geordi, Data and Worf have such piddlingly small quarters anyway? Surely they should have had the same sort as Riker, Troi, Crusher etc... Okay, maybe Worf and Geordi started off in smaller rooms, but why wouldn't they move? Geordi doesn't strike me as someone so humble as to refuse a bigger living area. And Worf would be able to practise better martial arts moves, or something...

quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:

I'm vaguelly recalling a passage from the Nitpicker's Guide which indicated that Troi moved quarters at one point. I can't quite remember where though...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:

I'm vaguelly recalling a passage from the Nitpicker's Guide which indicated that Troi moved quarters at one point. I can't quite remember where though...
I was going through my old 1st Ed. ST:Encyclopedia and saw I had made notes in it regarding those characters being located in those quarters, but I honestly couldn't tell you at what point in the series or the specific episode those references were made, just that that came out of some episode at some point. [Smile]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps