Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » CGI model of the E-J (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: CGI model of the E-J
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly not all the re-use is Eaves' fault: many designs are altered subtly for time constraints or miscommunication between the illustrator and the modemakers.
Hell, the Son'a command ship was intended to fly with the points facing forward (to match the overall design of the battleship) but nobody at the VFX house for Insurrection knew about it so...

Now Eaves draws a big arrow on his concept sketches to show how they move.

I'd ask him why the Reptilian Xindi ships look like the Son'a command ship and the Insectoid shuttle looks like the Reman shuttle.....but that's just razzing him, really and I DO like most of his designs.

Except the Scimitar.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Can you also ask why his designs always look similar - i.e. pointy some-what... and/or have those half-moon pods on them... like the Jemmie battlecruiser, the Valdore or the "ENT" Klingon ship.

Sure! I'll ask Sternbach whay all his ships have that damned notch carved out of their nose while I'm at it. [Wink]
Heheh... actually - which notch on what ships? The only 'notch' i can think of is from the Alex Jaeger pics... oh yeah then the Equinox had one.

quote:

I would call him on the blatant re-use of dominion nacelles on the Enterprise RBOP and Paptor.

You don't think the Valdore's nacelles are Jemmie Battlecruiser-esque... probably the main thing I hate about that ship. NO CONTINUITY to ANY of the other Romulan designs of the past 15 years.

WB, Science Ship(s) or Romabout.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Possibly not all the re-use is Eaves' fault: many designs are altered subtly for time constraints or miscommunication between the illustrator and the modemakers.
Hell, the Son'a command ship was intended to fly with the points facing forward (to match the overall design of the battleship) but nobody at the VFX house for Insurrection knew about it so...

Now Eaves draws a big arrow on his concept sketches to show how they move.

I'd ask him why the Reptilian Xindi ships look like the Son'a command ship and the Insectoid shuttle looks like the Reman shuttle.....but that's just razzing him, really and I DO like most of his designs.

Except the Scimitar.

Another thing... the movie that shall not be named (no, it's not The Final Frontier anymore)... the Scimitar I don't like either... but is there ANY design connection between IT and the Reman Shuttles?

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Do complement him on the Vulcan ships though - nice continuity there.

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Drexler designed the Vulcan ship (the Surak, anyway).
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Ummm....'the guy that designed it', I believe, would John Eaves as he's Enterprise's illustrator."

I'm sure that's probable, but I wasn't going to make any assumptions.

"The only 'notch' i can think of is from the Alex Jaeger pics... oh yeah then the Equinox had one."

The Equinox had one because it was taken from the Defiant "pathfinder" in the DS9TM. And the notch in that came from the notch in the front of the Defiant that appears when you pull out the nose.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah....but Sternbach made most of the Defiant stuff and the Pathfinder too.
....Sternbach is more famous for that damn secondary deflector trench on his designs.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

2ndry deflector trench?

It's on the Voyager... what else? I think Sternbach put more of a utilitarian thought process into his designs. Eaves does a lot of pretty arcs. Hey lacks design continuity though... although yes this maybe due to the producers... but I'm sure he could rotate on a theme. As mentioned above - yeah the Vulcan ships are by Drexler and they are uber nice. They also fit nicely between First Contact, TOS movies and TNG.

Andrew

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"NO CONTINUITY to ANY of the other Romulan designs of the past 15 years."

All... two of them?

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:

All... two of them?

forgive him, he must still play SFC3 and all the reasonably good romy ship designs people have made since theat games release...

and a related question, those designs have no hope of ever becoming cannon...but why?
[Confused]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:

All... two of them?

Lesse...

TOS era: BOP, Battlecruiser
TNG era: D'Deridex - (looks to cobine both above designs) "The Neutral Zone"
Scout Vessel "The Defector" retains A LOT of the feel of the D'Deridex but on a smaller scale.
Science Vessel "The Next Phase".

DS9: "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" The affectionately known "Romabout" again takes the Romulan design on the small side to give us something new but very obviously romulan. Still fits nicely with what we had seen over the last 12 years of Romulan tech.

"Nemesis": Valdore. Eaves-esque 'nacelle pods'. Everything all pointy (why - this isn't fluidic space). That's beside the point. The ship doesn't really match anything we've seen of the Romulans previously - apart from the colour - and even that is off. It looks like an Eaves'd-up Klingon Bird of Prey.

Actually - it's pretty much just the pods that annoy me in that design...

That is 5-6 Romulan designs to 'link' tech with...

--------------------

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It still has double wings, just in a different configuration than before. It still has the neck pylons, though again in a different configuration. It has a very similar head to the D'Deridex, or at least close enough that it's clearly the same race that designed it. Granted, the wing detail is way over the top, and the nacelles are stupid. But still, the Valdore to the D'deridex is like the Sovereign to the Galaxy, similar structures in a different configuration.

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"TOS era"

quote:
"...of the past 15 years."
And the scout/science vessel from The Defector and The Next Phase is THE SAME design, save for some minor modifications to its bridge. Thus what are we left with? The D'deridex and Vreenak's courier from In The Pale Moonlight (why you thought of Inter Arma... I don't know). Whoopdidoo, what a lineage. Here's an idea for you: be glad some new ships were built at all for Minefield and Nemesis instead of whining petulantly about how pointed their fuselages are or how their color doesn't match the EXACT RGB value of the Warbird's hull or how their nacelle pods are too Dominionish in style or whatever. Can you do that, Andrew? Just this once? Please? Because it, like, REALLY grates on my nerves to hear these complaints over and over again. More than "OMG YODA WAS SPED UP FOR AOTC CUZ TEH CGI WOULD OF LOOKED FAKE AT A LESSER PACE!!~!oneone~!!" even, and that's saying something.

Answer me this, though: if all we had seen of Starfleet were the Galaxy, the scout from Insurrection, and the Oberth, and then a movie introduced us to, oh, the Defiant, what would your first reaction be? "OMG TAHT SHIP RETAINS NOTHING OF TEH FEEL OF PREVIOUS FEDERATION DESIGSN OMG!!!!" or "Hey, maybe the engineers just drifted into a new and different direction and but so therefore I don't actually have to lose my sanity over fitting it into what little continuity has already been established"? Eh? EH?

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ent-J? Was is seen on screen? Does anybody know where I can download this episode.

I'm still anti-ENT but the Vancouver @ Colorado game was on anyways. Anybody see the revenge match.

Don't mess with VanCity.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Asking for Ent eps here will get you perm-banned #83.

Hey. I still cant find the damn Ent-J CG image. All I can find is one Trek ship in his professional section.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps