Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Whale of a Tech! ("Damage" Spoilers) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: $$ Whale of a Tech! ("Damage" Spoilers)
Davok
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Davok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Warp coil" could as well be a magnetic constrictor coil used to channel the AM through the M/ARA. Stealing the alien warp core would make perfect sense this way.
Also, I don't think it would be that easy to "just shut off" one of the field coils "and continue on", J. Apart from technical problems, we don't know whether "subspace physics" would allow that. Your knowledge about warp drive obviously comes from the TNG TM, but keep in mind that NX-01's tech is 200 years less advanced! We don't know that much about how their nacelles exactly work.

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:

Forrester (the female MACO from the Western episode) is injured in the assault.

That was S. Money, and Archer calls her "Parsons". Weird. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
J,

How many times have we seen fusion-powered warp ships?

(I love Masao's museum and the ideas therein, but I'm talking about the Star Trek shows themselves, here.)

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there's a certain fusion-powered Bird of Prey from TOS... [Smile]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, no, impulse-powered... B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Impulse and fusion are interchangable from Trek terminology.

Davok, the explaination from the TNG TM, to my understanding, is backwards compatible all the way to Cochrane's Phoenix--- and even similar with alien technology.

However, a magnetic constriction coil is a good idea, that would definately put the warp core out of commission unless they were able to rearrange the coils left [but I doubt this is possible with any margin of safety]. But then again, Trip should be capable of repairing that coil with parts from one of the backup fusion generators or even one of the impulse engines... they use magnetic constriction too.

And as for the subspace physics thing, as I said in the last post, we've yet to see anything that suggests this won't work--- like I said there is no ship length / field coil count ratio. Obviously there is a reason why they have a certain amount of warp coils within a nacelle, but we just don't know why and if each one of them is absolutely necessary.

I simply believe that every coil isn't and this episode could have proved that, if they had written it correctly. But despite the small amount of fudging in my description of the problem, that doesn't erase the fact that this episode is the worst concerning technology--- possibily beating out "Threshold" ... ok maybe not that episode, but it rates high!

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Picard said that the old fusion reactors, on the Stargazer, couldn't take the strain.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
J,

How many times have we seen fusion-powered warp ships?

(I love Masao's museum and the ideas therein, but I'm talking about the Star Trek shows themselves, here.)

The Promellian battle cruiser had Lang Cycle fusion engines. Whether or not that powered its warp drive is another thing....

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
Picard said that the old fusion reactors, on the Stargazer, couldn't take the strain.

He said no such thing...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually, writers equate "warp drive" to "matter/antimatter reaction". The BoP's "impulse drive" isn't really an exception to this rule, because at the time not much had been established yet about the nature of Trek's tech.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eep. I didn't have much problem with the tech in the episode, and my wife usually has to tell me to shut up. I actually liked it, given the ethical dilemma Archer had to deal with, which I think is the whole point of the episode.

I don't think it's usually necessary to say this here, but 95% of the people watching hear "blahblahblah engine broken blahblahblah they have parts to fix it"

B.J.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Impulse (in physics) The product of a force and the time for which it acts.

The measure of a rocket motor's performance is its specific impulse.

I don't know every instance where impulse power was used in the endless list of Trek technobabble, but logically it wouldn't make sense to use the terms interchangeably. Impulse engines might be fusion powered but fusion power doesn't have to be used for impulse. However, this isn't to say that a specific ship's warp drive might not be dependent on elements of the impulse engines. For instance, if the fusion reactors of the impulse deck are necessary to power the particle accelerators on the warp core, someone could by way of shorthand say the impulse engines can't take the strain of running the ship at warp, since it's a key component of said engine that's the limiting factor.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe impulse refers to a specific type of fusion reactor, possibly the most efficient form possible? Someone at SCN proposed that it was an acronym, I'll see if I can look up what for.

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's like describing today's cars as having Internal Combustion drive, but there's Gasoline engines, Diesel engines, and cars with hybred drives that use an engine to power an electric motor. Technically, a hydrogen burning car also has an internal combusion engine.. where Hydrogen fuel cells are different.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are also ones which use GLP (gas licuado de petr�leo, Liquefied Petroleum Gas or LPG in English, 90% propane and 6% butane) around here instead of gasoline, but it's still an internal combustion engine too.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps